AMD’s Next Gen x86 High Performance Core is Code Named “Zen”

Discussion in 'AMD x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by Frontl1ne, Sep 11, 2014.

1. Sgt Bilko

Sgt Bilko Member

So what's everyone's thoughts on 2nd Gen Ryzen?

2. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

Solid refresh :thumbup:

3. DarkSnipa

DarkSnipa Member

Now I am just waiting for threadripper 2950X to rip Intel again :thumbup:

4. AEKaBeer

AEKaBeer Member

I'm hoping that they make the 2920x more compelling this time around, there was very little reason for anyone to buy the 1920x.

5. dasa2

dasa2 Member

6. l_ QuadX_l

l_ QuadX_l Member

Sounds great by specs and reviews.. just waiting till I can afford/prices drop enough for an AM4 upgrade :p:thumbup:

7. RnR

RnR Member

When will AMD make DDR4 ram? :p

<sigh>

l_ QuadX_l likes this.
  8. Sgt Bilko

Sgt Bilko Member

There used to be AMD branded DDR4 at one point....

On the subject of memory though...
    https://www.gskill.com/en/press/vie...zen™-2000-series-processors-and-x470-platform

In addition the QVL list for the vast majority of X470 boards has been expanded upon so memory compatibility is much stronger than this time last year.

It is, I'll be moving up to a 2700X in the coming weeks, first overhaul my system has had in quite some time :)

2nd Gen Threadripper.....we'll have to wait and see ;)

The eternal struggle :upset:

9. OJR

OJR Member

My 2700X gets here Monday, I'll let you know then Sarge. The fact that I can use it on my C6H is fantastic and massive kudos to AMD for sticking with this. I love the C6H and all its USB ports.

10. Tazor

Tazor Member

Note for anyone using CAM.
    It doesn't recognise these processors properly right now and thinks it's idling at 100 degrees all the time.
    Opening the Ryzen master shows under 40 degree temps so I know it's fine, but freaked out for a second when CAM first opened xD

Also HOLY SHIT BALLS THIS IS A COOL STOCK COOLER!

11. OJR

OJR Member

Good to know, thanks dude. I’m using an X62 with CAM.

12. Jedi Jezz

Jedi Jezz Member

I think I will upgrade to zen+ (from Ivy Bridge), what are some ram kits (8GB x 2) I should look at to maximise performance? Obviously clock speed is important, what about timings? I am happy to buy from newegg and amazon.com.

EDIT: So I looked at the link posted by Sgt Bilko, so if money was no object would the Trident Z DDR4-3600MHz 18-22-22-42 be the best bet?

The gamernexus review has some graphs with a selection of memory speeds, it seems like there isn't a huge difference between 3200 and 3600.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2018
  13. mil098

mil098 Member

Ryzen 2700x on a B350 motherboard

14. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

Haven't done a ton of research but whats the current deal with Ryzen and Type-2 virtualisation (VMware workstation etc.)?
    Seemed to be a lot of chatter from 6-12 months ago re: linux VMs crashing, general instability, disabling SMP just to enable ESXi etc. but I notice that workstation 14 lists official Ryzen support.
    Wondering if anyone has any experience. I'll be running weird and wonderful appliances as well (i.e. not just standard nix distros) and taking full advantage of virtual networking for lab scenarios, so normally Intel is a no brainer, but obviously the value proposition of the octa-core is tempting.

15. OJR

OJR Member

A very honest and accurate round up from Adored. I agree completely.

16. TaroT

TaroT Member

yeah not a fan of that guy and after watching that it has not changed the message is good got a 350 then you could run a 2700x(although I would rather have the higher end 350 with better phases etc in case :) 0
    but the whole hey it passed 30 seconds of prime its a pass...umm no :) blender gooseberry would bring that crashing down hard...plus that cooler he has does not seem up to the task hell I saw some reviews using the stock cooler getting those temps :)
    I am really enjoying reading all the reviews though and for the most part they all seem very similar..would be nice to mention in regards to meltdown patches etc if all chips were tested with all the patches and microcodes though.
    can one of you lucky bastards use the meltdown spectre test and see how it does?

mil098 likes this.
  17. mil098

mil098 Member

Thanks TaroT,

I'm looking to upgrade an old PC, the old parts will be used an a HTPC, so no scavenging those parts.

For me, I was interested in which path I go.
    CPU + mobo combo only (all other things I know what I will buy)

R1600 + B350
    R2600x + B350
    R2600x + X370
    R2600x + x470

I know all reviews say if starting from scratch, go x470, BUT I hate the fact that they are all ATX mobos, I actually want mATX.
    I don't want ATX because I want a cube case such as the Corsair air240, thermaltake Core V21 (you get the picture).
    Hence I was interested in the R2600x working on the older boards, where I have more choice.

I know there is a Corsair Air540, but that is getting too big in the overall size dept.

Your thoughts?

18. qwijibo

qwijibo Member

Depends on your timeframe - ATX mobos are always the first released for the "enthusiast" bleeding edge people, MATX and ITX motherboards should follow shortly.

Any B350/X370 mobo you buy right now may not have a BIOS that supports Ryzen 2 CPUs, so you might need a first gen CPU to upgrade it first.

mil098 likes this.
  19. demiurge3141

demiurge3141 Member

A bit disappointing, not much improvement over original ryzen. Was expecting a bit of OC headroom to at least 4.5Ghz.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2018
    OJR likes this.
  20. The OC

The OC Member

Agreed, I too was hoping for 4.5GHz, as it stands the average upper limit (on reasonable voltages) has increased from 4GHz to 4.2GHz, woopdy do! Gonna have to call a spade a spade here, Intel copped it for the Sky Lake to Kaby Lake 'upgrade' which netted an extra ~300MHz headroom, and that was on the same 14nm process. AMD has gained an extra 200MHz headroom from 14nm to 12nm, which is pretty meh to me.

On the plus side, at least there are slight IPC improvements, and I'm happy with the improved cache and memory latencies too. Like you, I just wish Ryzen 2000 would clock a bit higher.