AMD’s Next Gen x86 High Performance Core is Code Named “Zen”

Discussion in 'AMD x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by Frontl1ne, Sep 11, 2014.

1. Luke212

Luke212 Member

The 8400 is higher FPS than all except 2700x I think.

Anyway gpu makes the biggest impact in most stuff anyway. So it’s not a huge issues.

AMD’s are better value for the majority of other tasks so I wouldn’t be too hard in amd. They have done huge things to reign in intel!

Last edited: Jan 25, 2019
  2. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

I have an AMD and an intel pc inda house so im all sweet <3

3. FIREWIRE1394

FIREWIRE1394 Member

1 of each?

WITCH!!! WITCH!!!!!
    :lol:

I have to be careful what I post on. If it’s the 2400g, 6700k, 1800x or the 4970k makes no difference to shit talking, but I do feel slightly dirty knowing how much the intels cost on release.

adamsleath likes this.
  4. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

yeah esp with exchange rate (member that good old 90c+ to USD rate?), took a look and noped the fuck out.

600+ bucks for the 8700k and its not even the top end? 9900K costs HOW much?

the fucking 4790k was going for what 400 bucks at the time?

5. FIREWIRE1394

FIREWIRE1394 Member

Certainly a lot more reasonable than the 6700k 7700k 8700k 9700k.
    I’d say the 4790k was an amazing price, then it kept going up. Fuckin’ why?

6. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

R7 1700 on my side of the desk, Intel i3-4150 on her side of the desk. For now.. she is about to go to a 2200G but doesn't know it yet :D

Also have a modern i3 Laptop and an X58 rig (EVGA SLi, i7 950, and a GeForce 128MB 6500) on the kitchen table which I have no idea what I will do with at this point.

Sell them for more AMD gear most likely :lol:

adamsleath likes this.
  7. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

i got the 2400g. its a long term thing so its all good <3 2200g much betterer value though.

8. Perko

Perko Member

I had the sticker.

In the pre-built market, sure. But there were a lot of idiots demanding Pentium builds in custom machines due to brand power. I dealt with a whole stack of them from '03-'05.

You made the point that sort of invalidates your argument. You're correct that Intel still has the lead in absolute performance terms, but other than in older eSports games that are easy on the GPU, I can't think of any gamers that I deal with who would be objectively better off paying the premium. If you're seeing frame drops because you have an AMD processor, they're not going to be the sort of drops you'll see when your GPU taps out. Usually the minimum frames reading is within 1 or 2 for each game between CPUs. I think that framesync tech would be a better investment than going to Intel in the present market, eliminating tearing would have a far bigger impact on the user experience than worrying about whether you're dropping to 32 or 34FPS. And that could get even more pronounced with the new Ryzen stuff coming out, because they're looking to be better bang for buck, and those minimum frame readings could easily swing the other way.

MUTMAN and FIREWIRE1394 like this.
  9. FIREWIRE1394

FIREWIRE1394 Member

Yeah, the 2200G was a little ripper of a chip at the $139 mark. Then it went to $155 for some fuck knows reason, so I didn’t get anymore.

That $15 increase for no reason actually had a reason. It’s because people worked out how good it really was.

adamsleath likes this.
  10. dirkmirk

dirkmirk Member

Another big deal for me was the Platform longevity, I bought a 1st Gen Ryzen 3 1200 on a cheapass $100 ASROCK motherboard near 18 months ago, whats comparable for Intel in a situation where I bought the cheapest CPU and will be able to upgrade to the Ryzen 3000 series 2 years after buying the base model cpu?

Im certainly no enthusiast but at the time I was upgrading my machine, was the Z370 chipset and what cpus could you buy? Certainly the motherboards weren't cheap.

11. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

Highly doubt you'll see 5Ghz Turbo clocks on any SKU - better to be surprised than disappointed - So I'll go with the more logical, conservative estimate of mid 4's (4.5 or so). And no that's not arbitrary - it's based on the assumption they're taking the low risk approach for these first 7nm products, and simply leveraging whatever 7nm brings in higher FMAX (and you can look to 7nm Vega for clues there).

Integer ST IPC probably won't change much either based on what we've been shown - but whilst 'machine width' remains unchanged - there are details we don't yet know about - including if they've remove partitioning of certain resources for SMT , buffer size changes in the scheduling. All that's been shown so far is restricted to the front end, and the wider Datapaths / single cycle 256 SIMD. Which will largly effect both Throughput and AVX respectively

On the gaming performance side of things specifically - the effect's of the new chiplet + I/O Irrangement will likely have a large bearing on the outcome

hopefully that doesn't all sound too pessimistic, but it's just too early still to really commit to any solid predictions. That and AMD's priority is perf/watt and perf/mm not "5ghz" It's the key to getting more performance into a socket for server - and with the added benefit of wiping the floor with Intel in the mobile market - if they do a proper job of pursing it this time.

Fact is, you simply CANNOT create a killer server /mobile focused Core (both are Low - moderate power) AND killer high performance ( ultra high frequency) / high power core at the same time. You do one, the other , or compromise.. Both Zen and Skylake are compromises, but Zen is, and will likely continue to be skewed more towards the former.

12. AlliZ

AlliZ Member

more performance speculation

MUTMAN likes this.
  13. RnR

RnR Member

MUTMAN likes this.
  14. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

A PCIE slot would kinda ruin the whole point of a low Z height. To make the most of this thing, it would be great to run something like a 2200G in a passive cooling case. The case would attach directly to the CPU and become the heatsink. It would make a NUC look massive.

15. SSJ4

SSJ4 Member

16. RnR

RnR Member

https://m.investing.com/news/techno...ecord-data-center-revenue-shares-jump-1762211

Go you good thing! :D

darkbastard and tunksy like this.
  17. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
    RnR likes this.
  18. Phido

Phido Member

Looking forward to this.. July isn't too far away.
    Was wondering if its better to build something now with a cheapo CPU and just drop in the 3000 when they arrive.

My 4790k has a bad ram channel.. so only 8GB ram.

19. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

Those 3000 series specs/pricing are still rumours right? Nothing's confirmed so far.

20. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

untill computex everyone is guessing... Especially pricing
    The specs are probably locked in at this time