AMD’s Next Gen x86 High Performance Core is Code Named “Zen”

Discussion in 'AMD x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by Frontl1ne, Sep 11, 2014.

1. darkbastard

darkbastard Member

a question.

Does wafer process improve over time so that it could be true to say that a 2700x (or any cpu really) purchased today is less likely, or more likely to be a "golden chip" than those available at launch?

Or is it still subject to luck of the draw?

Cheers

Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
  2. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

especially with the new 7nm process it will be improved over time. the engineers wont stop on that front.
    but its still luck of the draw

3. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

I'm about to buy a Taichi X470, because I need a board, but I will be keeping my 1700 until 3000 drops. I'll make any CPU decisions after that.

4. TRG.dOinK

TRG.dOinK Member

So October then. Also, what the hell happened to Freesync 2 monitors, do they even exist?

5. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

Im guessing stock in channels by July.

6. SnooP-WiggleS

SnooP-WiggleS Member

Yep e.g.
    https://www.mwave.com.au/product/ao...d-va-freesync2-hdr-400-gaming-monitor-ac19620

Keep in mind freesync2 is more like gsync certification in that to get it they have to have HDR, good colors,144Hz etc. So cheaper monitors will be still just freesync while the higher end will increasingly transition to freesync2 as new models come out

7. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

wait, so freesync2 MUST support HDR and 144hz?

8. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

Requirements include removing the minimal frame rate and setting a maximum on screen latency. FreeSync 2 also doubles the color volume with support for wide color gamutcolor spaces and increased display brightness, enabling direct support of HDR-capable displays by video-card device driver and application software. Display's DisplayID/EDID metadata for color primaries and maximal/minimal luminances are used to adjust the tone mapping step when writing to the frame buffer, thus offloading color space and transfer-function processing from the OS color managementand the video interface circuitry, which reduces output latency

wikipedia.org/wiki/FreeSync

SnooP-WiggleS likes this.
  9. SnooP-WiggleS

SnooP-WiggleS Member

Yep to be clear freesync2 technically doesn't mandate 144hz, but it has to support LFC, so no rubbish 48-75hz displays. Currently the slowest freesync2 monitor is 120hz and I doubt we'll see much lower than that.