AMD’s Next Gen x86 High Performance Core is Code Named “Zen”

Discussion in 'AMD x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by Frontl1ne, Sep 11, 2014.

1. dirkmirk

dirkmirk Member

I think i'll hold off, 6 scores is likely to be the sweet spot for gaming for a while yet I presume....

2. phantompisser

phantompisser Member

Looking on staticice there doesn't seem to be anyone still selling them for anywhere near the <$250 delivered that Newegg have them for .

If i was building a bang for buck box today it would probably be a 1700 and wait a week for delivery . Looking forward to the 3000 series :)

3. jimbogimp

jimbogimp Member

You've convinced me! :)

Although I just bought a 2600 system & waiting for it to arrive. Looking forward to getting some Ryzen action after lurking around in the AMD section for like 4 years lol.

Zenskas and RnR like this.
  4. Jazper

Jazper Member

More cores and more performance (at a good price/performance ratio) is important to me.. I'll wait. I manually OC to 3.7ghz across all cores. I could take it up to 3.9, but the fraction of performance increase (7-8%) isn't worth the power usage.

Zenskas likes this.
  5. THE D

THE D Member

Has anyone installed these new ZEN2 supporting UEFI firmware updates on x370 boards? I have an ASUS x370F and would not mind updating, but I have read about not being able to go back to the older versions and with how buggy the firmware can be (e.g whole bunch of firmwares for the x370F break CPU overclocking) coming from these idiotic motherboard manufactures I do not want to be stuck with a broken system.

6. AlliZ

AlliZ Member

7. Jazper

Jazper Member

I have on the X370 prime pro. No major dramas

8. AlliZ

AlliZ Member

9. Phido

Phido Member

Ryzen 3000 chips? After tax time?

10. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

perfect timing right. what a good incentive to do my tax early

edit - two dates the press are spruiking
    May 1 is AMD's 50th birthday
    7nm on the 7th day of the 7th month

both sound good

Last edited: Apr 1, 2019
  11. Phido

Phido Member

I'm thinking about buying before July.

If I can get a good deal on a setup now, I might jump on 1700, then maybe get something next year for the Mrs, who can inherit the 1700 and I can go Ryzen 3000.
    Got to say PC part prices seem pretty good right now.

12. AlliZ

AlliZ Member

yeah its a great time to buy a zippy set up, can get some nice deals on ram and ssd

https://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/447695 > G.skill Aegis 16GB (2x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2800 CL17 (PC4 22400) $121.44

just one of many kicking around

museumman likes this.
  13. weak beta male

weak beta male Member

i got a 8gb ram in 2011 for $58, right now after ram price drop its still $80-90 for 8gb after 8 years. been holding off upgrade for ages because im not going to get gouged on stupid ram and gpu.

hvalac likes this.
  14. Phido

Phido Member

If you wanted to spend a bit more..
    https://www.newegg.com/global/au-en/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232418&ignorebbr=1

2x16GB DDR4 3000 CL16. $240 aud delivered.
    Now you may not need 32Gb, but there are some decent deals. On various rams.

Also SSD prices have fallen quite a bit since I last looked, and you can get PCIe x4 1 TB for about $200.

I'd figure I would double everything in my 4790K rig.

32 GB ram (upgrade of 8gb) (four times)
    DDR4/3000 verse DDR3/1600 (almost double speed)
    1TB SSD (over 512GB ssd) (double capacity)
    PCIEx 4 over SATA (more than 4 times the max speed)
    8 Cores over 4 cores. (twice the processing)

I'll carry over my 1060 3GB, but I don't play games much (except maybe some city skylines rarely).
    Only hicup is single thread performance. Ideally a high clocked Ryzen 3, 12 or 16 core would make a very compelling upgrade, as every aspect of system performance would likely be conciderably faster.

15. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

We all seem to be waiting all the time for the next 'best' thing. I wanted a new rig now, so went with a 2700X. If 3000 is disappointing, I won't buy it, and be happy with what I have.
    Look at how hyped people were over Radeon VII, and what a flop it turned out to be. And before that, Vega.

Look at how although Ryzen Gen1 was a massive leap forward for AMD, it still didn't compete as well as people hoped vs. Intel. For me, not an issue, because I'm not a gamer and the 1700 I bought was great, but if I had been a gamer I would have been bitterly disappointed.

I'm very happy with my 2700X now, and 3000 is still months away. If it turns out to be the ducks nuts, I'll buy it. If it isn't, I'll be happy with what I have. The same applies to Navi. The hype is never consistent with the reality. If Navi is awesome, I'll buy it. Maybe. If it isn't, I won't.

No point in waiting for the next gen of anything, there is ALWAYS a next gen 'coming soon'. You'd never upgrade to anything if you are waiting for the new thing. And of course, like cars, the first gen is always the worst. If 3000 is awesome, just imagine how great 3000 gen2 will be..

PersianImmortal likes this.
  16. Zenskas

Zenskas Member

Yea but there is a point in waiting if what you have it already "good enough" (for now) and you are just thinking about upgrading in the near future. If there is no burning desire or actual need then there is no point upgrading for only smaller gains. That is why I'm still on Haswell and Sandy Bridge chips, they are good enough for my uses and I'm happy waiting for something significantly better instead of blowing my money on a whole new platform with Skylake at the time (or later Ryzen) which would have been tiny gains in my uses for a lot of $$ once you factor in new motherboard + RAM.

What is actually a bit silly is upgrading just for the sake of upgrading, when you have no need to. The upgrade itch, and the "buy now despite not needing it" mentality is why companies like Intel can get away with completely changing the socket and platform every couple of minor generations. The market keeps paying it though, so clearly we aren't all just sitting around waiting for the next best thing - we are buying it generation after generation of tiny improvements!

Contrary to what Ratzz said about the 1700 for gamers, on Ryzen launch I assembled a Ryzen 1700 system based around a GTX 1080 Ti for a good mate. He uses it for a mixture of rendering/software development work and gaming, hence going for higher cores rather than just the 1600X. For his work stuff it was indeed a huge upgrade, and gaming was still totally fine. Having come off the good old 2500K he had nothing but praise for the system, although he games at 4K so CPU is often less of a bottleneck. He skipped the 2700X based off the fact he'd only see marginal improvements, and will instead wait to see if a 3000 series CPU is worth the upgrade should he need/want to later this year. All indications point towards AMD offering both more cores and more performance per core, alongside better efficiency. Those are potentially very real gains in his work, not the <20% he'd get by grabbing the current top end AM4 chip. If it is indeed a bigger jump from Ryzen 2000 to 3000 than 2000 was to 1000 then it will have been totally worth the wait for him.

Yes there will always be something new around the corner but the next corner is awfully far away on launch day of a brand new product. Should new product be an actually noticeable improvement (depends on the user and the use case) then that might be a good time to buy. But if you don't need it now, then why not wait and buy something even better for the same money at a slightly later date?

Consumerism at its worst is when people buy shit they don't actually need, or won't notice a difference from the last thing they had. Most of us do it, myself included, but it's nothing to strive towards.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2019
  17. Phido

Phido Member

A CPU upgrade if your setup can take it, is quite low cost. Couple of hundred for a CPU. Often you could sell or reuse your old CPU as well.
    Whole new platforms are much bigger commitments. Mostly in ram and Mobos. But it is also often a trigger for a whole new everything.

I really liked AM2-AM3 progression. People often went from their first Dual core, to a tri core, quad core, to six cores. DDR2 and DDR3 were covered. Only bulldozer was so disappointing many of us jumped ship to intel. The platform saw over 100% increase in CPU performance in its lifetime.

I am tempted to pull the trigger on a Am4 setup with a 1700 now, because Ryzen 3000 or Ryzen 4000 should still be compatible. Sticking in a cheap 1700 now, and then perhaps in a year or two just dropping in a top clocked 16 core monster is pretty appealing ( particularly after the inital massive price has dropped to something more reasonable).. Even if I end up buying a new mobo so I can have 2 AM4 systems, having socket life is interesting and gives you options.

The issue I have with intel is their platforms are deliberately killed early. Everything gets orphaned.

18. Zenskas

Zenskas Member

If it is going to be a noticeable improvement over what you currently have, and unlike your current machine is still easily upgradable in the near future, then it may be a no brainer there! You should go for it :)

Last edited: Apr 2, 2019
  19. tensop

tensop Member

as tacky as LTS is, that chinese mobo he reviewed that supported everything from a 4th gen i7 through to an 8th gen was revealing just what intel are up to

Zenskas likes this.
  20. Jazper

Jazper Member

Oh man..

I have a 1700 - I could benefit from more power, question is in what - compiling? yeah I'd shave a few seconds here and there. 3d CAD rendering, I have a 1080ti (which I could part with but choose not to) and memory is a bigger concern. I'm a rare gamer nowadays, but the 1700 still delivers well enough to do what I want.

come the 3xxx series.. the itch may be too strong

Sanity_Smith and Zenskas like this.