1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

AMD’s Next Gen x86 High Performance Core is Code Named “Zen”

Discussion in 'AMD x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by Frontl1ne, Sep 11, 2014.

1. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

Hyper threaded dual cores need to die, they are achingly slow, particularly in windows.

Quad core and 4gb of ram has been the minimum (comfortable) spec for windows for years now.

2. FR3D1

FR3D1 Member

That was my thought as well i3 are generally 2 cores, i5 2-4 cores and i7 are 4cores+ but Intel have change the rule so I ended up getting AMD.

3. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

25% of the population can't see 3D due to eye problems.

When it comes to VR, women especially suffer "VR sickness" serverely:
    https://www.newscientist.com/articl...lain-why-women-get-more-vr-sickness-than-men/

Anecdotally, I can confirm all of the female testers in our office *hate* VR, as it makes them feel really ill.

3D stereoscopic information of any kind, whether it's glasses based 3D or head mounted VR, alienates a huge chunk of the market. As you mentioned, it also requires more cost (not only in hardware, but production costs making this stuff double as well for the amount of media and testing you need to do, and the resolution of the data you need to produce). And typically it requires clunky hardware.

I think "one day" we'll have some sort of working stereoscopic, immersive technology. But if you consider late 90s VR as generation 1, 3D film/TV as generation 2, and today's VR as generation 3, I think we've still got half a dozen generational leaps to go yet before we're ready for something that's a consumer hit.

For training purposes, I think AR is great, and that's where the profits will lie. My dad works in big oil and gas, and they're already looking at spending billions on AR tech for safety training, as it's orders of magnitude cheaper and more effective than current training methods. Medical is another industry where it will be very effective.

The other exception is "warehouse VR" folks like Zero Latency in Melbourne (and other places internationally now, as they're expanding quite successfully), who have the large scale setup needed for it to work well. But again, you're getting more into "army training sim" technology, and not "video game" territory.

But for your average knob gamer or film buff sitting on the couch, we're still miles off using it to make something enjoyable.

Aaanyways, all off topic in this thread. Apologies.

AMD making new CPUs that don't suck? Count me in. Long time closet AMD fanboy here, and looking for any excuse to buy their stuff.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2016
  4. TaroT

TaroT Member

i watched the whole thing and came out impressed even the chick waiting 20 minutes to star wars :)

i would have preffered they used bf1 or doom Vulcan but hey beggers and all.

now the whole 6900k at 1000 dollars over and over again is typical marketing sales pitch for we will do it cheaper. but not a lot cheaper...look for around 700/800 us
    but
    hopefully unlike intel the platform is uniform so one enthusiast board for all so no x99 z170 crap.
    so look for boards from 500 and down as opposed to 500 and up for the 99 gear(the good stuff i mean :)
    one thign that annoyed the living crap out of me was seeing a trumpvidia titan xp in the machines....vomit.
    obviously from that...the vega is not as fast as the 1600 dollar wallet raper but hopefully a hell of a lot cheaper and in line with a 1080....that section does have me worried... oh well hopefully not to long to go

5. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

Can't have a 480 bottlenecking the CPU now can we....

6. TRG.dOinK

TRG.dOinK Member

Yeah I laughed a bit when they said they had a Titan in there.
    But it was purely for comparison which was fine.

I'm a bit concerned with Vega however, little info still :/

Zen looks good, but will come down to pricing, and (that bit that everyone forgets) the pricing of the motherboards.

7. nope

nope Member

inb4 it costs $900usd and is more or less on par with the i7 6900k @ Boost/OC
    Please god cost $500usd plz plz plz

8. OJR

OJR Member

There is nothing closet about it mate. :lol:

I think until VR can do away with bulky shit it will go down the same route as 3D TV. They need to move the 3D aspect away from glasses/helmets to the source or projection mechanism to make it viable for most consumers.

9. nope

nope Member

VR already flopped though there are hardly any games

10. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

They need to repair their mindshare and consumer opinion, the first gen of the new architecture needs to be priced very competitively.

Even at times when AMD had a better processor and when they had a better gpu than the competition they still had lower sales because consumer trust is difficult to maintain.

Launch first gen trickling a tiny profit, then start creeping the price up by using the head room you've left in the design.

11. spank36

spank36 Member

Looking very positive atm, especially a tdp of 95w for the performance they appear to be getting. Here's hoping it will be a good upgrade from my 4670k

12. Pemalite

Pemalite Member

Intel has also always been able to out-advertise AMD as well, hence why Intel was so dominant during the Netburst era, the average household opted for Intel because it was a brand that was more easily recognizable.

Plus Intel colluded with OEM's to make AMD look less appealing from a pricing perspective and OEM's opted away from AMD chips just incase AMD had supply issues.

13. ExcessionOz

ExcessionOz Member

Thank ghu I did my research back in November, and didn't say 'fuck it, get a Skylake system'.

The announcement looks very interesting. I'm up for giving AMD my money for my next system, it its reasonably priced and performs reasonably well compared to Intel.

After doing lots of research and finding out that 7th generation Intel (Kaby Lake) is no better than 3rd Generation Intel (Ivy Bridge) in REAL WORLD terms @ 1920 * 1080 gaming, I'm happy to hold on to my 2013 system for another year or so, and see what 'falls out' of the Kaby Lake / Ryzen benchmark scene, and make an informed decision in late 2017.

Here's hoping that pricing isn't raped by supply issues. :sick:

14. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

Intel felt safe enough to essentially just bump the skylake clock up a bit and re release with a new sticker on the packet.

They'll still sell better than AMD in 2017 I'm sure.

15. Head

Head Member

Hate the name, but hopefully AMDs last roll of the dice lives up to hype.

16. gregpolk

gregpolk Member

Steam lists 851 games with VR support.

17. fleetfeather

fleetfeather Member

How many good ones in that list of 851? Are they even "games", or just demo things?

VR is no where near close to being worthy of purchase for the mainstream enthusiast. It's not dead, it's just hardly alive yet.

18. itsmydamnation

itsmydamnation Member

Price will be interesting to see, a Zepplin is smaller then Polaris 10 and they sell from 300 to 400 and they then have, testing, PCB, Package, power delivery and GDDR5 on them.

A zen die will have testing/binning and packaging.

each die (Zepplin or Polaris 10) when factoring in defect rate is around $20USD to make (then you have to do all that other stuff).

So AMD has complete control over how they choose to price Zen.

19. gregpolk

gregpolk Member

I'm sure a huge portion are garbage. But one can't make the claim that there are no games when there are 851 of them on a single platform, ignoring occulus exclusives, PSVR, mobile VR, etc.

Its gen1 hardware, at enthusiast prices, requiring enthusiast hardware. It was hardly going to be hitting Wii levels of mass market access at this point (excluding mobile VR). It's early days. Cheaper headsets like PSVR and OSVR, and open support for all headsets rather than the walled occulus garden will push mainstream adoption. Mainstream adoption will push bigger budget content. Bigger budget content will push more quality. It'll grow. The investors certainly seem to think it will, otherwise google, samsung, facebook, Microsoft, and pals are clueless about what the market wants

20. Pemalite

Pemalite Member

Don't forget the years of R&D they also need to cover, even if it only costs 50cents to manufacture... Millions/Billions in R&D adds up!