American Style BBQ - Pulled Pork - Picture Diary.

Discussion in 'Geek Recipes' started by scon, Apr 30, 2011.

1. mmBax

mmBax Member

Looks like I'll have to venture across town then to get the good stuff then?

I went to Mighty Mighty a couple of years back for a mates bucks night, just had a gigantic share platter which was actually reasonable. But it seems as though they've closed up shop.

2. MB403

MB403 Member

Almost forgot. The smoke bbq at Merthyr village in new farm is pretty good. Been there for dinner couple times. Closer than Southside. Its on cnr brunswick and merthyr rd new farm. Try the abita amber ale on tap too.. its fantastic. Beef ribs are a bit of a let down but everything else is nice

3. tasmik

tasmik Member

anyone gotten up at like 2am to set up a slow cook for lunch the next day? hoping the smoke doesn't have the neighbours up looking for the house burning down!

4. mmBax

mmBax Member

Yeah, but these days I just do it the day before and reheat in the oven. It's too much of a pain in the ass depending on your smoker, whether you have low temps etc.

Start of winter I woke up at 4am or something to start one for a BBQ dinner, thought I was organised. Spent about an hour getting my coals lit, then another hour making sure my temp was stable etc etc.

These days 100% the day before if I can. I'm having folks over Saturday, pork will be done, but I'm going to do some wings on the smoker so the backyard smells good and gets them hungry.

5. sgtraven

sgtraven Member

yea all the time.
    luckily my smoker burns nice and clean so no heavy burning smells

6. Lupuscrux

Lupuscrux Member

yep but nowadays i just set it up at 12 (midnight) and go to bed, Joys of a pelletpooper.

7. tasmik

tasmik Member

after work im a head home and clean out the primoxl and set it up ready to burn.

thou having my kid who turned 5 jumping on me at 5:30 this morning before work saying im 5 im 5 wheres my presents! im tired and its not even home time, gonna be a long weekend, hopefully I can get some sleep after its temp is stable.

8. hsvguy

hsvguy Member

Yep, last weekend I cooked a pork neck for lunch, was up around 3. :thumbup:

9. mmBax

mmBax Member

One of the BBQ channels I follow on youtube keep on promoting their yoda smoker. Looks so damn easy - one day I might actually buy one.

My weekend cookup is on, started it at about 11 or so I guess. Temps are rapid and my smoke isn't as clean as Id like it to be, not sure whats going on there. Meat chunk is at 60C and the smoker is stable at 130C. I didn't have enough charcoal so I may have to transfer to the oven later tonight to finish it.

10. sgtraven

sgtraven Member

rob greens bbq channel?
    he is SUCH a nice guy
    have had a few skype video conferences with him

11. mmBax

mmBax Member

Nah, these guys.

https://www.youtube.com/user/allthingsbbq/

Edit: my temps were dropping below 100 so I've moved indoors. Finishing in the oven.

Need to go buy some more fuel so I can do some wings in the morning. Pics later when I hit target and pull it. Only a small piece, about 3kg I think. Rubbed with Secret Weapon

Last edited: Jul 22, 2016
  12. mmBax

mmBax Member

Misjudged how long this little mongrel would take.

Also misjudged how little of a yield it would have. I may need to go get some sausages in the morning!

A little too dark on the outside but oh well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. tasmik

tasmik Member

looks good thou pulled apart, im sitting here monitoring my temps atm, cept looks like its rising slowly ill go close the vents alittle, was sitting stable at 249F but now risen to 260

and I was just about to enter a game of overwatch! ohwell spose I should be making sure this is right first.

Not 100% sure how this is going to go, was disappointed when i opened the meat was smaller bit of meat than I expected and I had to tie it up as it was a rolled shoulder roast. All I can say is that its my fault and I should have gone to the local butcher instead of asking the wife to buy it.

14. brettmo86

brettmo86 Member

So I unwrapped this bad boy on xmas day:
    [​IMG]

Then went to the butcher today and requested a boston butt (i assume they know what they are talking about as I've seen them advertise them on special sometimes) and got this 6kg hunk of animal :eek: I was hoping for a smaller piece for my first go! (crap in the top left corner is fat I trimmed off)
    [​IMG]

I'll be following the recipe from amazingribs.com to the letter so here she is all covered in memphis dust before going into the fridge overnight:

[​IMG]

I've picked up some maple chips and a maverick dual probe thermometer so hopefully all goes smoothly. I'll try and post an update of the finished product tomorrow night :thumbup:

15. methodMAN

methodMAN Member

16. brettmo86

brettmo86 Member

Well... There won't be any photos tonight.
    11 hours in and I'm sitting on 164° Fahrenheit. Target temp of 203.
    I've managed to keep the temps fairly constant between 225 and 235.
    I'll just keep waiting!

17. mmBax

mmBax Member

6kg piece at those temps you'll definitely be cooking for 15-16 hours I'd guess.

When I do a 4-5kg peice at 120C it's normally 14-15 hours.

I take it off at 93C as well and let it rest for another hour if you can hold out.

18. brettmo86

brettmo86 Member

Well, I ended up with a 26hr cook time :wired:
    I wrapped it up in foil last night and bumped the temp up to 140ish to try and get it done before going to bed. After about half an hour and no movement in temp I realised that wasn't happening so unwrapped it.
    I wrapped it up again this morning as it had only moved from ~170 to ~185 overnight.

Some bits were nice and juicy, other bits a little dry. I'll give it a 'satisfactory' for my first effort.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. methodMAN

methodMAN Member

looks the goods.

Its all a bit of trial and error. I have only personally done 1 pork shoulder and it was 3kg and it took 15hrs on the weber.

I have the 3-2-1 method sorted for beef and pork ribs, so that is my go to at present. Would like to try some more shoulders as my only attempt was the same as yours, parts where dry and others were moist.

check out aussiepitmasters.com.au for more info, quite a few OCAU members over there too.

mM

20. mmBax

mmBax Member

I guess it depends on fat content as well, you'd get a longer stall.

Mine has never been dry though, you weren't directly above the heating element? Maybe you need a water tray/drip tray to take away some of the dry heat and add some moisture back into the smoker?

Does look a bit dry, but pulled with a little bbq sauce it'd still be fantastic I reckon.

Allthingsbbq just did a wet/dry beef rib video and it looks pretty damn tasty. I want to get my hands on some of the rubs they use though for sure.