American Style BBQ - Pulled Pork - Picture Diary.

Discussion in 'Geek Recipes' started by scon, Apr 30, 2011.

1. Stooge007

Stooge007 Member

apparently pellets are pretty good, but not as good as charcoal and smoking chips, according to posts in here - https://forums.overclockers.com.au/threads/the-smokers-thread.1203739/

GTR27 likes this.
  2. Stooge007

Stooge007 Member

pulled pork for sure, though it takes a lot of time

very forgiving with temperature fluctuations

GTR27 likes this.
  3. Squatting_Tiger

Squatting_Tiger Member

I'd recommend doing something like a slow cooked pork scotch / neck. Not too big, plenty of room for error... and pulled pork... cant go wrong! Google a methos called "snake method 2x1", it is a way of stacking your briquettes like dominoes around the kettle, and lighting one end letting the lit beads to 'fall' on to the unlit beads. What you want is 250f (120c) for the entire cook.

4. jpw007

jpw007 Member

Do you use coals for regular bbq'ing?

I grew up with bbqs being cooked on gas but the big flat plates and never open grills. Got myself a small webber gas and absolutely love it and cooks amazing especially compared to what i grew up with.

Have done a spit a few times years ago in sydney and the charcoal just cant be beaten flavour wise for sure, but im ignorant to charcoal cooking largely so wonder how user friendly it is for your typical bbq? (We cook on the bbq a couple times a week so wonder how much of a hassle charcoal is for that...especially since im not too great at getting them started and it seems to take me ages lol)

5. josh1990

josh1990 Member

Managed to grab some firebrand cheap at $15/10kg - looking forward to giving them a go

6. Hater

Hater Member

i've learned that if your charcoal is old, it gathers moisture and is a bitch to start. brand new from the packet and it's easy as pie.

7. Squatting_Tiger

Squatting_Tiger Member

Get a charcoal chimney, first go everytime, alway wait till coals are ashed over before spreading

GTR27 likes this.
  8. Hater

Hater Member

ahhh so mine is a 1992 master touch and it's meant to have a thermometer but it's missing. interesting.

9. Squatting_Tiger

Squatting_Tiger Member

Should be able to get a spare from Weber warehouse. What colour MT?

10. Hater

Hater Member

black. i need a new cover for it too, there's holes in it, the snails won't like it!

11. GTR27

GTR27 Member

Its a black one. Was my grandad's. Showing lots of signs of wear and it lives outdoors, but still cooks. Baskets are pretty much fucked now, they would float away in the breeze if I picked them up

100%. I dont even own a gas bbq - coal all the time! NOTHING beats the flavour!

This ^^^^ x a million. Getting a chimney was the single best thing i did to work out how to light it quick. 4 x fire lighters under a full chimney and its lit in 15 mins.

Coal cooks sausages indirect heat perfect. Crispy skin, but juicy inside.

I probably cook twice a week on my weber!

Squatting_Tiger likes this.
  12. Hater

Hater Member

So this has turned into 1kg of brisket, 2.5kg of beef ribs and a second Weber stolen from my mum...

13. mmBax

mmBax Member

What have you been cooking on coals? If you've done any roasts I'd just be doing the same thing + smoke wood.

Easy quick things are some good sausages over smoke, chicken wings, chicken thighs. Basically anything that you'd normally roast over coals.

If you've got a heap more time you could probably look at getting some beef ribs, may not be ideal depending on how many people are coming to the house warming. Big old chunk of pork shoulder goes a long way for tacos if you dish out a heap of wraps and salads/salsas.

Could do a giant mac and cheese up to go with other things.

Could smoke some queso dip that's all the rage at the moment.

14. Hater

Hater Member

I did the pork belly (3kg) and the beef fibs (3kg)

I had to finish them off in the oven as I didn't get my coals up to temp :(

For a first go though, even with oven to get them finished, they were soooo good...

Or so i'm told. Everything was demolished well before I got a bite.

I have a tortilla press so doing the tortillas over coals on one Weber and then the shoulder on the other sounds like a summertime plan!

Stooge007 likes this.