1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Amiga 500 Mini/The A500 - 8th of April 2022 $199.

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by power, Oct 13, 2020.

1. Franc

Franc Member

The quality of retrogames stuff is a huge improvement from the chinese ripoffs of tech and earlier efforts such as atgames atari. Both in execution, polish and features like the fdd light behaviour on the a500 mini. Its worth it for that. I wish you could get a copy of the Apple IIe but unless Apple do a deal with them, I think thats very unlikely. There are tons of other retro pc's though like the sinclair or amstrad cpc that would sell in some numbers, but personally I would do the similar atari first.

2. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

i think it's weird the controller and mouse are smaller, not sure what the thinking is there.

3. Franc

Franc Member

Oh well Ill see when mine comes soon hopefully

4. Phido

Phido Member

There were those dodgey atari 2600 which were ~ $100, dodgy emulator and "99" games of which 95 were the same game with different backgrounds.

So these are definitely an improvement on those. Also the C64,Amiga games are quite a lot better. Even if these come with 25 games, there are plenty more and they are freely available.
    You are also paying similar money as the snes mini so I guess there is a market.

mini

TBH they look only fractionally smaller, the difference is small enough you had to put them next to each other. But yeh, the opportunity was there to make it exactly the same..

Did the C64 maxi ever make it to the US?

5. Franc

Franc Member

I have had a bunch of these mini consoles, there were several flavours of atari 2600, the one I have isnt too bad but you cant load your own roms etc like you can with the64 etc, and thats huge.

6. Vanne

Vanne Member

yeah i bought my maxi from the US.

7. Franc

Franc Member

Good thing with the maxi is it was usb powered so you could get from anywhere.

Just wish the A500 min would hurry it up.

It will be great as i can leave it on my desk without it taking up much room.

8. elvis

elvis OCAU's most famous and arrogant know-it-all

Specs for this thing appear to put it on par with a Rasberry Pi 3 for CPU performance.

The Allwinner SOC has a slight advantage with faster IO though, putting a disk read at about RPi4 speeds. But overall slightly weaker on the CPU side.

But if you don't want to spend the dollars and care more about playing games than scrolling through menus, Amiberry will give you a very similar experience on RPi3 or 4 hardware.

I've already seen a review that sadly compares it to RetroPie as proudly says this device is faster. Terrible comparison though, as RetroPie's multi format launcher means it loads the entire emulator from scratch per game read, making it a very "apples and oranges" comparison.

9. Nian

Nian Member

They already said that if the mini sells well enough, the full sized will come out.

10. gizoz

gizoz Member

a Raspberry Pi 3, with case, mouse and usb joypad would be comparable in price to the A500 MINI and not have the aesthetics or ease of use.

11. gizoz

gizoz Member

well the C64 MAXI initially failed with crowdfunding.. but after an agreement with Koch Media that if a C64 mini sold well enough, that that could then be used to fund a C64 Maxi - it all worked out. I'd expect the same with the A500 mini - though personally I don't think there's a huge general gamer demand for a 'full size' Amiga replica - it's the niche die hards who want one. A500 mini with usb keyboard is fully usable and takes up less desk / table space if you really want to play ZORK again or finish your WordSmith essay from the 90s on an emulated Amiga. Whereas the C64 really needed a replica keyboard due to the unique key layout and needed PETSCI graphics etc.

I get that enthusiasts want cycle accurate replicas of their favourite machines - but the majority of the gamers who will pay money to play an old game really don't care if it's 'close enough' emulation - as long as it looks, sounds, 'feels' close enough to the games and systems they played in their youth and it's a reasonable price. That larger 'good enough' market is the reason these devices exist in the first place. Look at the Jerri Ellsworth designed FPGA C64 form what? 10 years ago? Over engineered for the C64 fans out there with 1541 compatible comms pins, second joystick pinouts on the PCB etc. but it sold because it was an easy way to plug and play some old favourite classic C64 games for a 'cheap' amount.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2022
  12. elvis

RPi3 would definitely be cheaper.

Aesthetics are entirely subjective. I have no love for pretty menus, and would rather spend my time in applications.

But that's not the point. The point is if you want one, definitely buy one. I fully support paying for legal retro stuff. It promotes more work into legal preservation, and that's an excellent thing.

But if you already have a Pi and don't have the cash/room for another gadget and/or are feeling the FOMO pressure, you can feel safe knowing you're not missing out on anything if you just use an emulator. You will get an identical experience inside applications and games, and ultimately that's what we have these devices for.

It's great to have choices.

13. Franc

Franc Member

For me personally, I already have the Pi setup in a case with integrated touchpad) - but Im so looking forward to this.

14. Vanne

Vanne Member

For me it's the astetics and peripherals that are as important as the game/emu to complete the feeling/experience. It's all part of it, which is why I am hoping for the A500 mega to appear. Either that or I need to pull my finger out of my butt hole and start working on revamping my real a500.

FIREWIRE1394 likes this.
  15. elvis

Totally cool with that. Plenty of people love these little collectibles, and they certainly look cute and bring back memories of the original iconic systems.

These devices are also excellent for people who don't have the skills or time to deal with emulators, which again is also great. I have plenty of friends with a high nostalgic want for an easy-to-use, pre-baked setup.

But once again, if you need neither of these things, the actual emulated experience and performance is available in other methods, which is good news for those who maybe didn't have the cash to spend.

16. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

just buy a shell and keyboard, whack the mini inside - job done!

haha

i just like collectibles tbh, i mean it's not like i don't have an actual A500, an accelerated CD32 and A1200 as well as a CDTV.

Vanne likes this.
  17. Vanne

Vanne Member

Again, I am not really who this is marketed at, for me it needs to be a full size, functional form factor and peripherals so you can actually use them as intended. If I bought this, it would go on the shelf in the box, probably never to get used. The front end however is rather nice and polished. Def intrested in that :)

18. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

my extra controller and mouse are out for delivery today, let's see if they arrive or will Auspost card me, that is the question.

19. Franc

Franc Member

Where did you order yours from? Mines from the Gamesmen

20. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

EB

and shock horror, carded.