To avoid cluttering The Amiga Thread with information about this build, I'll split it off and post the details and ask questions here. I'd like to acknowledge tkc8800 as the previous owner of this machine, as he made efforts to restore it from poor condition to the reasonably decent condition I received it in. I'm just hoping to carry it through to completion. Anyhow, I have a real tendency to bite off more than I can chew when it comes to ongoing projects. This machine ended up shelved for around a year since I acquired it, and in recent times I've decided I should probably thin out my collection and active projects with the hope of actually finishing some. This machine stood out as one I would like to keep. Here's the lowdown. It's a Commodore Amiga 500, 1988 production run, pretty standard affair. The machine had been stored somewhere for a while and accrued a layer of dirt, rust and corrosion on the outside, inside and on the motherboard. The Floppy was packed with dust, and the trapdoor expansion clock battery had leaked. Not to mention the power supply was missing, a replacement I sourced was dead, the mouse cable was cut off, and soldering on a replacement connector revealed a faulty encoder wheel sensor. Off to a great start. Last December I started to claw this machine back from the edge. I contacted some members in the Adelaide Amiga clubs and sourced a replacement mouse and power supply for it. There's no pictures from around this time, but essentially the machine would power on, but not boot, and when I disassembled it to clean the drive, I discovered corrosion around the sidecar expansion connector and trapdoor expansion board, and surface rust on the RF shielding. The machine went back into storage. Because I have machines around I almost never use, I thought it made sense to filter down the collection and let someone else enjoy the less frequently used ones. I thought about whether to continue with the Amiga 500 and decided I would, if only because the Amiga community is so enduring, and it's a machine I had no experience with. But that motherboard needed servicing. No point repairing the rest if the board was toast. I started cleaning around the sidecar expansion connector with alcohol and an eraser, and managed to remove the corrosion from the contacts. The contacts are pitted, but intact. The contacts aren't completely smooth, taking on the contours of the texture of the underlying circuit board, and as such the damage isn't anywhere near as bad as it looks. As this is a restoration of course I'd prefer they be in perfect condition, but all in all, not enough to write off the otherwise functional board. Removing the corrosion from around the screw post ground planes is harder. Some minor metal polishing could bring these up to a better condition, but I need to ensure that it won't strip the board first. The RF shielding was more of a problem, covered in patches of brown surface rust and oxidation on both the top and underside of the cage. I took these out, cleaned them to remove excess rust and corrosion, and soaked the plates in Evapo-Rust for a couple of days. It removed the rust, but couldn't do much where the corrosion had damaged the plating. Still, I suppose it could be worse. Even so, I'm seriously considering having these pieces professionally re-plated in either Zinc or Nickel, whatever closest resembles the original finish or achieves the best result when factoring in that cost to durability ratio. Hopefully more to come on that front soon. The plastics are probably the most impressive piece of the machine as-is. They're in damn fine condition, and the Amiga 500's trademark rear fin arrangement looks seriously sharp. That said, those fins attract dirt and this machine was no exception. So into the detergent wash they go. And before anyone expresses concern, this is about the weakest household dish soap one can buy. But the results were good, to say the least. This is where someone would normally Retrobright and de-yellow the case, but it doesn't need it. Using the areas under the half-torn and now removed warranty-void stickers as a control, the plastics are exactly the same colour under the labels as they are in the exposed areas. Now in the home stretch for this evening, I removed and re-socketed the ICs, disassembled the floppy drive to remove the dust and carefully alcohol swab the heads, and connected the board on the bench to see if the machine fired. And it did. It's connected via a Commodore A520 RF Modulator. It sucks hard. But it proves the machine works. And the one component that doesn't need any further attention is the keyboard. It's pretty clean underneath the keys and it worked first time. So, onto the game plan for the next stages of the build: Have the RF Shielding and Floppy Cover professionally re-plated in Zinc or Nickel Source some DB-23 connectors and make VGA, RGB and RGB-SCART Video Cables (can make these myself) Replace the Trapdoor memory expansion card (and bodge-repair old one as a spare) Clean up the motherboard ground planes (if possible) Make data transfer easier (Gotek or HxC Floppy Emulator w/ External Cable & DF0 Selector, no case hacking required, although feedback and advice is welcome here) Make network connections easier (Serial connection to Mac/PC with Hayes modem emulation and pass-through with TCPSER, to connect to BBSes or control newer machines via Terminal) [Extra] Convert the faulty mouse to optical tracking [Extra] Convert the faulty power supply to ATX internals Will post some updates as I have them. There's no fixed time frames for completing each milestone but I'd like to continue working on it fairly frequently if I can.