Amiga 500 Restoration

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade Worklogs' started by iMic, Apr 28, 2018.

1. power

power Member

That is sad.

2. OP
    OP
    iMic

iMic Member

It is, but I'll continue to look out for another build. If I could assemble a system with IDE and PCMCIA or another form of networking, I'd imagine it would see a lot more use around here.

3. OP
    OP
    iMic

iMic Member

After a short break, we're back.

A500_1.jpg

This machine is a stock Amiga 500. No damage, no yellowing, only minor shield rust. Even the warranty tamper seals are intact. It has a Commodore RAM expansion with the clock battery already removed.

It needs a clean, a better video connection method, and a more convenient form of storage. But it's otherwise perfect.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
    BistecConBigote, Phido, Vanne and 3 others like this.
  4. power

power Member

wish my A500 was that colour!

Vanne likes this.
  5. flu!d

flu!d KDE Neon 5.16

All you need is an ACA500(+) and you have storage options and a way to transfer data between the A500 and your PC.

6. Vanne

Vanne Member

Mines more yellow than a truckies teeth who has been smoking Camels his whole life.

Same with this c128 ive just aquired...

power likes this.
  7. Flamin Joe

Flamin Joe Member

It's really a lucky dip with the plastic, I guess it comes down to where it was manufactured and the varying plastic mixes they used at the time.

I've got some keyboards for example where the casing is yellowed yet the keys look like they did when they first came out the factory. Then another keyboard of the exact same model and everything is yellowed.

8. flu!d

flu!d KDE Neon 5.16

I always thought the A500 wasn't actually a pure white like the A1200, from memory even my brand new A500 in the day had a slightly darker tone to it than the pure white A1200.

9. ohayes

ohayes Member

This is correct, the A500 is an off-white/beige compared to the Snow White of an A600/1200.

flu!d likes this.
  10. flu!d

flu!d KDE Neon 5.16

Exactly, the A500 in that picture is too white?

11. flu!d

flu!d KDE Neon 5.16

I never had a problem. To get files to my Amiga's, including my A500, I just dragged the downloaded files onto a FAT32 formatted CF card connected to my main PC, plugged the CF card into the Amiga, it appeared on WB as a disk and I dragged the files from the CF card to the Amiga?

As yet I haven't found a title that hasn't been made into a slave.

12. Phido

Phido Member

I should put the Amiga our next to my C64C. I am pretty sure they are pretty simular colours. The later amigas were more of an off white than a light beige. That A500 is surrounded by black stuff so looks pretty white, if you put a A600 or 1200 it would look angelic white.

For me I like the A500 beigeness. It feels more at home in the 80's (released in 87) where as the A600 were well into the 90's (92). I still remember when I saw my first A600, at Brashes, in 1992 or 3. Looked amazingly white.

13. DonutKing

DonutKing Member

Yep I used to use a CF card as well but it’s still an extra step compared to the gotek.
    And there’s few games that aren’t available on whdload but it’s a different story for demos.

14. flu!d

flu!d KDE Neon 5.16

One thing I miss with WHDload is the cracktros. I used to like a good cracktro.

DonutKing likes this.
  15. Flamin Joe

Flamin Joe Member

It's most likely the result of the camera he used and the paritcular exposure/white balance settings (I'm no photographer so just guessing as to what it is but you get the idea).

I usually don't bother to adjust any of these when I take photos and I've noticed it can have a bit of a "retrobrighting" effect on plastic.

16. flu!d

flu!d KDE Neon 5.16

Very true, I did think this myself.

17. OP
    OP
    iMic

iMic Member

Spot on. The lighting in this room is both very yellow and dim (which makes sense for a bedroom light), and so it's been quick and dirty adjusted for white balance and exposure to bring it closer to the actual colour.

The white plastic has overshot a bit as a result, and you can see some excess blue in the black monitor stand and desk. I'll see if I can take another photo in normal daylight.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2019
  18. Flamin Joe

Flamin Joe Member

It's a timely reminder to be careful when it comes to online listings if the beige/whiteness of the plastic is important to you. Theres a very good chance that nice and bright unit you see on ebay is actually lightly yellowed or that yellowed unit is a darker yellow then it appears in the photo.

It's never really bothered me too much but its something I've noticed from when you see it online vs receive it.

19. OP
    OP
    iMic

iMic Member

I've noticed the opposite in some cases too, where something appears much more yellow in a photo than it does in life. A great example is post #30 of this thread. That machine was nowhere near as yellow as it appeared.

This machine needs cleaning, and a quick spray and wipe doesn't seem to be doing it. I may need to open the machine and scrub the case after all, but I'll wait until I have some extra components to fit before I do that so I can do the job all at once.

20. Agg

Agg Lord of the Pings

The early pictures in this thread are all missing.. any chance of restoring them? Feel free to use the in-built forum image hosting.