Amp for new speakers

Discussion in 'Audio Visual' started by Acesi7, Mar 7, 2013.

?

Amplifier Recommendations

1. Keep the Yamaha

20.0%
  2. Upgrade to the TX-NR616

20.0%
  3. Upgrade to the TX-NR709

20.0%
  4. Upgrade to other... Please leave in comments section

40.0%
  1. Acesi7

Acesi7 Member

Hey all,

So I've just bought the following:

Dali Concept 8's (Front's) 160w (Max) @ 6Ω
    Dali Concept Centre (Duh..) 120w (Max) @ 8Ω
    Dali Concept 2's (Rear's) 120w (Max) @ 8Ω
    Dali Concept Sub (...) Self powered (160w RMS)

And wondering if I need a new amp to drive it all.

I have the Yamaha RX-V473 (115 W 8 ohms, 0.9% THD Rated power output 1ch).

Will this be powerful enough?

And if not, Selby Acoustics appear to be doing some great deals on Onkyo Amps.

For instance:

Onkyo TX-NR616 for $699 (165 W/Ch at 6 ohms, 1 kHz, 1% THD, 1 Channel Driven, IEC)
    or
    Onkyo TX-NR709 for $999 (170 W/Ch at 6 Ohms, 1 kHz, 1% THD, 1 Channel Driven, IEC)

So what I'm asking is firstly:

1. Do I even need to update the V473?
    2. If so would you recommend either the TX-NR616 or the TX-NR709
    3. Finally, if Yes to 1, but neither to 2. What would you recommend for the same price, need good reason to spend more than $1,000 btw.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2013
  2. ~Spyne~

~Spyne~ Member

I do really like the Onkyos, with Yammys running a close second....in that budget range.

3. steffan72

steffan72 Member

from the specs on that amp it drops down to 80w 2 channel driven and it will reduce further with more speakers driven.

TBH i am running 7.1 surround with all full size speakers on a denon AVR with specs not much higher than that, (though from what i understand take the specs with a pinch of salt), and it runs fine. Sure i'm not getting the best out of some of my speakers but they still sound great.

Assuming you already own the Yammy AVR, Hook em up and if you feel you need more power then look to get a higher powered AVR.

4. b00n

b00n Member

using current speakers on tx nr579

5. Zee

Zee Member

Save your cash, get yourself an Yamaha RX-A series (1020 pref) series receiver.

Having installed a few various receiver brands, I think the RX-A series is the current cream of the crop.

Having said that, you may choose to ignore that advice, but if power is truly what you want, ensure that whatever you buy has 7.1ch pre-out puts. Then, when you have the money, instead of upgrading, buy a proper power amp (even a 100w/ch amp will kill any so called 150+w/ch receiver - especially in this price range).

Something like an Emotive will be well priced, and will blow you away. Probably for decades.

Z...

Last edited: Mar 13, 2013
  6. OP
    OP
    Acesi7

Acesi7 Member

Thanks for the advice Z.

I ended up getting an older model Onkyo, the TX-NR808 as it's got everything I wanted and it has some pretty impressive components (So I was told by the guys at the store, I certainly was convinced, hopefully I didn't have the salesman "Wool" pulled over my eyes)

It's 7.2 and has 7.2 pre-outs, so in future I will indeed go to something like a PA-MC5501 to match the unit and also to cure my OCD of having an Amp on the left, center speaker in the middle and nothing on the right! It's killing me. lol

7. Kodaz

Kodaz Member

I have an onkyo amp and run an NAD power amplifier. Don't feel like you have to stick with Onkyo when adding a power amp in the future.

Somehting like the emotiva is a fantatsic bit of kit for the price and would likely be better quality than the Onkyo one.

I used to own an MC5500 that I found to be ok but not as nice sounding as the NAD.

8. Stooge007

Stooge007 Member