amp simulators

Discussion in 'Musicians' started by shino, Dec 2, 2019.

1. shino

shino Member

only just got digging into amp sims.. what your take on them? are they worth buying?

2. AxlOz

AxlOz Member

I guess no one plays guitar much on OCAU...?

I've never been grabbed by amp sims. I've tried various ones, including the infamous Kemper profiling amps and they just don't cut it for me. They all had a sterility to the tone.
    That said, I often use a cheap Line6 toneport for recording. I never try to emulate particular amps, I just use it to find different sounds.

shino likes this.
  3. Boneman

Boneman Member

Line 6 Helix Native and THU rigplayer are amazing.

The cabinet IR is always gonna be the most important, Ownhammer and the new Redwirez are top notch. The technology has come a hell of a long way, making sure you have a decent interface and proper levels into the software is critical.

4. johnd16

johnd16 Member

I recommend Scuffham's S-Gear. Mark used to build amps for Marshall and has since used his knowledge and experience to put together a guitar amp simulator. I'm pretty sure it's just him working on it. Have used it live in a couple of scenarios. https://www.scuffhamamps.com/

Boneman likes this.
  5. Boneman

Boneman Member

Scuffham is awesome too, but it's been a while since an update happened.

6. johnd16

johnd16 Member

7. Vohaul

Vohaul Member

I have an AXE-FX II and while I like it, I still prefer my 6505 in to a Marshall 2x12 with V30's

8. ndt

ndt Member

I’ve owned a Pod HD500, eleven rack, axe fX ultra but the eleven rack was the only one I truly liked and still own. The POD HD had a fizziness that I didn’t like and couldn’t clear out and the Axe FX ultra felt really generic, it was like every band that’s known for using it all used the same patch. The eleven rack just nailed it for me, the interface and UI is very intuitive and it sounds pretty good.

I’ve only ever run them into a guitar cab(via a poweramp) so I just ordered(waiting on delivery) a Alto TS212 to try out if a FRFR setup is for me. The alto isn’t the best but its cheaper.

Apparently Tosin Abasi is releasing a floor amp modeller which should be interesting to see and hear.

9. OP
    OP
    shino

shino Member

amp sim do have a sterile feel to them..