1. If you're receiving a message that you are banned from the Current Events or Politics forums, it's not you specifically: those forums have been hidden for all users. For more info, see here.
    Dismiss Notice

Amplifier Selection - Help me narrow my choices

Discussion in 'Musicians' started by break, Sep 24, 2009.

1. break

break Member

Hi All,

I'm in the process of looking for an amplifier to be used for some home practice (when I'm happy to make a bit of noise practicing) and for small/medium gigs. I'm happy to sacrifice some of the ability to play at home for being more capable at a gig.

I have a budget of up to $1500, but would prefer to keep it around the $1000 mark if at all possible.

Both a combo or a half-stack are fine, it really wouldn't bother me either way.

Now, I've been out of the guitar scene for some time... and thus know nothing about the quality of various brand amps these days so I was hoping I could get some suggestions on amps to check out/play to help narrow down my choices.

My primary style of play is rock/metal.

Cheers

Last edited: Sep 24, 2009
  2. -Rift-

-Rift- Member

Second hand or not? Using effects for your sound or primarily the amp?

3. OP
    OP
    break

break Member

Preferably new if possible, but might consider second hand if the right thing came up.

I currently run a Line6 Pod 2.0 which covers most of the sounds I want, although most amps in this sort of range I would assume do a reasonable job of distortion so I might be inclined to using inbuilt distortion on an amplifier and my Pod for axillary effects. As such, in built effects are not something I'm interested in.

4. Edstructicon

Edstructicon Member

I'd say go something solid state - maybe a Crate? I have been looking at the Flexwave 65 combo, seems pretty decent at ~$650. I doubt you'd get a decent Valve head + cab for under $1000? But I could be wrong.

I would also stay away from built in effects if I was going to buy another amp - more a personal taste thing though.

5. OP
    OP
    break

break Member

Yeah, back before I sold off my old setup I had a simple Marshall 80watt solid state (G80RCD) and it was perfect for me, had good distortion and clean, and nice drive and grunt to it.

Anyone had any experience with the Randall half-stacks? Being a Metallica nutter... I'm liking the sounds of the Kirk Hammett Signature half-stack (KH120RHS) for $1499.

6. DJ Fusion

DJ Fusion Member

So many awesome amp choices for home these days man, I say get yourself a valve mini-stack!

Orange Dual-Terror mini-stack.
    Blackstar HT-5 mini stack
    Egnater Rebel mini-stack

7. Edstructicon

Edstructicon Member

Would those keep up in a practice/jamming situation?

I'm kinda half looking for the same deal as Break, but probably more a metal/deathmetal than rock sound.

8. DJ Fusion

DJ Fusion Member

Practice/jamming, for sure. You'd need a mic and a PA system to gig with them though.

9. spootmonkey

spootmonkey Member

Mini-stacks are a bit of a novelty IMO, unless you have a range of cabs you can use. If not, you might as well just get a 1x12. I've seen Orange Rockers run under $1500 used, and JCM800s are around there too. Many of them have speaker-out jacks as well so you can always piggyback a quad.

10. DJ Fusion

DJ Fusion Member

Mini-half-stack was what I meant to be accurate. :p

And the point of getting a low watt amp for home is so you don't have a rocker or jcm800 that spends its life on 0.5 volume. Gotta get them valves glowin!

11. stuyvesant56

stuyvesant56 New Member

those Kustom 100W half stacks can be had for ~$900 delivered new from memory (had em on ebay and a few other places) a guitarist from my old band had one and it sounded o.k for a cheap stack. the Laney iv heard isn't bad <$1k aswel

otherwise i'd go used for sure, so many more options especialy in that budget range / good resale.

Peavey Windsor 120 might be obtainable ~$1500 if you shop around too, <3 peaveys.

12. Marlborosmoker

Marlborosmoker Member

For me personally I'd go look at Laney LC/VC15 (both 1x10) (lc 15 single channel, fx loop with reverb around $600, vc15 2 channels fx loop about $800). Marshally distortion, the vc is more classic while the lc has a touch more gain to my ears. They'll run well under $1k, both have an extension cabinet out for gigging. This also allows you to spend $100 for a Weber attenuator so you can really crank it for home use. (i use a masslite for my rm100)
    https://taweber.powweb.com/weber/minimass.htm

If you are going to go solid state I'd personally rather go with a tech 21 trademark 60. I was in the states recently and saw a number of bands running a pod xt into these and sounding quite nice.

13. 0restes

0restes (Banned or Deleted)

Orange make some great amps

14. SquarkyD

SquarkyD Member

Blackstar HT-5 and a 2x12 cab of choice. Makes a tonn of great sounding noise :)

15. Willybomb

Willybomb Member

I'd probably be inclined to give the Valveking a go personally, basically because they gave the A/AB knob on the back like a poor mans' Blackstar I suppose. Slashrox has/had one, ask him what he thought.

Do the 5watt tube heads have enough go for gigging against over muscled drummers? Can't really imagine it personally. Dunno what I'd go with these days. The Line6 stuff is pretty good but really removes the guitar from the equation I feel but is pretty instant in terms of decent sound. I'd like to give the line6 tube heads a go though, or the randall/egnator module type amps.

16. Liam.

Liam. Member

1500 will get you a lot 2nd hand if you shop around.
    check out ausband.com.au and the for sale forum is really good. you could probably get a marshall dsl/jcm800/jmp maybe + 2x12

17. OP
    OP
    break

break Member

Cheers for all the suggestions so far, I've now got a good list of stuff to check out.

18. 0restes

0restes (Banned or Deleted)

19. dasbok

dasbok New Member

I'd suggest ignoring everyone here with what they have recomended.

Instead whack your guitar into its case, and take it to your local music store and TRY out a fuckload of amps, and decide what sounds best for your money yourself.

20. OP
    OP
    break

break Member

Oh, I intend on doing that. I'm more-so trying to narrow down the list to brands/models that I want to make sure I try out in the process.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2009