An odd problem

Discussion in 'Audio Visual' started by Current, Sep 15, 2021.

1. Current

Current New Member

Hi everyone. Well I just moved house so yay. Fun times. I hate moving, you don't realise how much you have until you move.

Any ways my problem

I can't sleep without an interesting documentary or something like that playing to help my mind drift into dreamland. Otherwise sit there until I pass out at 10am the next day....

But at my new place I worry about noise, as my roommate in the next room works full time and I don't want to risk waking him up if there is a loud sound mid way in a documentary.

My last roommate would sleep through a tornado ripping through the house.... So yeah. Not sure what I can do. Headphones hurt my ears if I wear them in bed and lay in any sleeping position.

So how can I get a sound source near my pillow from the other side of the room and not be too loud to wake people up, but be able to hear it properly without trying to concentrate upon a whispering sound source.

2. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

You could set up two speakers piped into the tv (maybe some BT edifiers for example so no long wires going across the room), either side of your bed, perhaps on your bedhead, pointing down towards you, so volume won't need to be high to hear.

3. whatdoesthisdo

whatdoesthisdo Member

Bluetooth speakers?

4. Hi-end Head

Hi-end Head Member

Yep,, There's no doubt you have a problem.

5. power

power Member

wean yourself off "needing" something playing (the real solution).

if you really would rather not then set your sound to normalise at a lower volume and/or set an EQ so that louder sounds are flattened (no bass, etc) and do not travel.

or maybe put a BT speaker next to you instead of using the main speakers.

6. mr camouflage

mr camouflage Member

bluetooth sleep headphones or turn the docos off and use a white noise machine instead.

7. 151528

151528 Member

I used to prefer falling asleep to radio or something a long time ago, and still do like it, but I find it's pointless, I barely last 5 minutes before falling asleep so I never bother anymore.

Little bit of excersise in the day, don't go to bed hungry, and keeping anything with a screen away from bed.. and poof, I'm off to the land of nod

Otherwise easiest way to keep doing what you're doing, bluetooth speaker at a low volume next to you, should be able to get a 3.5mm Bluetooth adapter too if you can't connect to the TV, otherwise just use a long audio lead

I'd still suggest moving away from documentaries to listening to relaxing music instead, or just don't worry about not being able to hear properly... If you're trying to stay alert to focus on what's happening and being said, then no wonder you struggle to sleep

8. Stooge007

Stooge007 Member

9. Thraxeh

Thraxeh Member

This is exactly what I did in a similar situation.

I luckily had a bookshelf above my bedhead at the time, so I duct taped to the underside of the bookshelf a cheap pair of computer speakers pointing downwards.

MR CHILLED likes this.