Analogue Mega Sg

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by TheWedgie, Oct 17, 2018.

1. TheWedgie

TheWedgie Insert Custom Title Here

2. flain

flain Member

I got hit with the email from them overnight too (being an owner of the Super nt). Looks like it does both megadrive + master system which is cool. Also supports Sega/Mega CD so watch the prices on working units go up.

I had a strong suspicion it was a genesis that kevtris was doing next when during one of his post super nt interviews he started talking about how many cycles a SNES takes to do something vs (i think he said 8) cycles on a genesis. Which you then think, "hmm guess hes delving into genesis now".

I would love to get one but i'm quickly amassing too many devices and running out of hdmi ports on my big tv, so my next will have to be something that runs multiple cores, the MiSTer is top of my list.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
  3. power

power Member

be nice if they did a multi- device. that i might even consider.

4. OP
    OP
    TheWedgie

Yeah, I’ve been following the MiSTer thread, likely where I’ll head for anything other than the -mini versions as a bit of fun.

5. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

More than that. It does:

https://retronauts.com/article/990/...bit-console-clone-wars-a-reality-with-mega-sg

Sega SG-1000/SC-3000 (cartridges only, no tapes, and as an SC-3000 tape collector/dumper, I have a small amount of sads)
    Sega Mark II and Mark III plus FM audio
    Sega Master System
    Sega Game Gear
    Sega Genesis/Megadrive

Includes the ability to plug a genuine SegaCD/MegaCD in to the unit and use it.

No word yet on:
    * Jailbreaking to allow SegaCD/MegaCD images on SD cards (would require a bit more work, as that hardware had extra ASICs in it missing from the base unit)
    * Real 32X plug-in support
    * Simulated 32X support (again, more chips, more work)
    * Choice of dynamic Yamaha sound chip model switching, and various audio enhancements
    * Sega SG-1000/SC-3000 palette fixes (some games expect certain hardware, and end up too dark/bright if run on the wrong chip).

Only morons (1) with their "me first" reaction videos on YouTube at the moment. Waiting for some folks who know what the hell they're talking about to test it out. But given who this is (Analogue + Kevtris), no doubt all the shit you'd expect will be there.

(1) Apparently you need a dumb look on your face and/or stupid hat to be a YouTube sensation currently.

imwearingastupidhatwithadumblookonmyface.jpg

TheWedgie likes this.
  6. elvis

Retronauts interviewed Analogue, and while not confirming nor denying, there's definitely a hint that such a device could be in the pipeline.

With that said, the open source MiSTer is out there now too. Currently it's lacking the polish and extra options of Analogue's machines (especially around custom video scaling, sync rebuilding to exact 50.00Hz/60.00Hz, etc). But all of these options are bloody fantastic for us, and I definitely think there's room for all of them in the market.

7. flain

flain Member

I did see these but these will all be sold separate at a later date (coming 2019 - https://www.analogue.co/mega-sg/). They will have an FPGA inside each so could mean they might work on a real megadrive too :)

That is pretty cool, but they are already crazy expensive to get a working one. I expect this launch might not help that situation. On the upside there weren't really many good games on the MegaCD so it's not all bad (apologies to any fans!).

There has been a bit of discussion on the everdrive forums about Sega CD, because it was basically another console it's non-trivial. It had it's own 68K CPU and the sound was also separate. To connect sound you would basically take the audio out from the megadrive audio jack and plug it into the Sega CD which then had it's own RCA audio out to run to the TV. It was a bit of a messy release of kit from Sega :/. If anyone could do it, kevtris could :)

32X would be cool - some good news though is that the mega everdrive X7 has 32X support via it's FPGA.
    *edit*: to clarify, 32X works only with a real 32X - ie everdrive can plug into the top of a 32X

lol i agree, i can't figure out how these youtubers are so popular.

8. elvis

I think the site is a bit ambiguous there. They're implementing each in FPGA on the device, not a separate FPGA for each. But remember that the chips inside the older Sega units (the Z80 and a few others) are already inside the Megadrive, so the work is not lost or doubled there having to re-do the Z80 core.

From what I can tell, the cartridge adaptors are merely pin converters, and there's no extra logic in that part of the device. Will that work on a real MD? I don't know. It depends on how the Mega Sg "sees" the device and switches modes.

You can run SG-1000/SC-3000 games natively on a Master System (I flash these to my Tototek SMS-PRO cart, and plug them straight into my modded SMS2 to run natively). But I'm not sure if that works on a Megadrive (I stupid sold my genuine Sega Powerbase converter years ago, and am still kicking myself for that decision). Although it does have a card slot in it, so technically speaking it should work. Again, whether or not the palettes are correct is the question.

http://www.smspower.org/Development/Palette

I've got a genuine SC-3000H as well. At some point I want to test colour differences between it and my SMS2 running SG-1000 games.

9. flain

flain Member

Now that i re-read it looks like you are right. It'll be interesting to see how they price the adapters and what kind of protection if any they include to prevent copies. Depending on the price it could also mean that jailbreak firmware could be less likely to include any of the extra addons. Even though the jailbreak firmware is "unofficial" it's pretty obvious that only someone with the unencrypted firmware could of done the previous jailbreaks.

10. elvis

Analogue aren't dummies. They know who their audience are. ;)

The Deadpool movie struggled to get approval and funding until the test footage "accidentally leaked". Sometimes accidents happen, you know?

11. nimmers

nimmers Member

The only feature that would make it better for me would be Sega 16 arcade cores... *Drool*

flain likes this.
  12. power

power Member

I just want to know if they managed to get blast processing working.

Grant likes this.
  13. elvis

They overclocked the FPGA just for that.

Grant and power like this.
  14. flain

flain Member

So has anyone pre-ordered it? Looks like it will ship April next year so they must still have some stuff to do.

15. nimmers

nimmers Member

I will probably wait a bit since I still use an original Megadrive and have an Everdrive. See what extra features they put in it. Sega 16 support would make it shut up and take my money status.

16. OP
    OP
    TheWedgie

I remember reading ages go that there was thoughts the Everdrives etc may damage consoles due to differing voltages... but don't remember if there was ever a conclusive answer.

Thoughts?

17. elvis

That gets blown out of proportion so often.

Some flashcarts (and some of the Everdrives, but not all of them) use circuitry that expects 3.3V, not 5.0V. Why? Because in the modern world everything works off 3.3V these days, rather than 5.0V like ye olde days.

What happens when you drive 3.3V circuitry with a 5.0V source? Well that depends. Generally speaking, V=IR says for the same R (load/resistance) your I (current) must go up. Excess current at small levels typically doesn't hurt things, however run it long enough and *maybe* some things will be damaged over time. Excess current sometimes also means extra heat (as the energy has to go somewhere).

But, this forum is called "overclockers", and I'd dare say most of us have had our fun playing with overclocking. What happens when you have an overclocked chip that is a bit crashy? Well sometimes you can up the voltage. And what happens when you do? The chip gets hotter. What happens then? Well, sometimes you just slap a bigger cooler on it. And sometimes it works fine. And sometimes your chip dies in 3 years after 24x7 playing games.

It's unlikely these carts will blow up your consoles. Not impossible, but unlikely. It's also equally as likely that cheap Chinese knockoff carts will do the same, and they're in frequent circulation due to how good their knockoffs look (many collectors pay top dollars for these, not realising it's ripoff junk, because it acts the part so well).

But, time will also kill your consoles. 20 year old electronics is getting on. Flexing of PCBs, drying out of electrolytic capacitors, and just even regular, normal use will make these things break over time. Knowing how to change a few caps and other larger components is vital if you're a collector of old hardware. Such is life.

At this rate, the MiSTer is likely to answer that want. They've got both SMS (Z80) and MD (M68000) cores working fairly well already, and the rate at which clever bikkies are adding/improving things is quite amazing.

nimmers likes this.
  18. DonutKing

DonutKing Member

I have been tossing up replacing my Mega Everdrive, not so much because of the 3.3V issue but because there are some homebrew games and scene demos coming out that exceed the Everdrive's 8MB rom limit.

19. elvis

I'm still running a crummy Tototek MD-PRO. Flash over parallel cable one game at a time. Certainly helps me stay focused and not game-hop. :)

But seriously, I considered a bunch of new flashcarts for all my consoles recently. But then this FPGA revolution started, and now I'm not going to bother.

Drooling over a day when I can play hardware-accurate FPGA sims through a CRT shader to my lagless 4K OLED. That's when gaming will get back on track. :)

20. OP
    OP
    TheWedgie

Cheers, I thought as much. Just went back and re-read a bunch of articles too.
    +1