Analogue Mega Sg

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by TheWedgie, Oct 17, 2018.

1. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Same for me, but folks like you and I represent a very small percentage of Analogue's target market. I've got plenty of friends who are interested in retro gaming, but are not technical enough to emulator or deal with connecting old consoles to new TVs. By the numbers these are 10 times the amount of folks I talk to daily who understand MiSTer, Retro Pie, or more complex solutions.

This forums is an odd crossover between lovers of old things and high technical capability individuals. Out in the real world, that's much less of an overlap.

I think the problem with Analogue taking on a Neo Geo console is their target market being able to source games.

Yeah I considered that too, but again looking at their main market right now of full-hype North American retro gaming, N64 is the right combination for a generation of late 20s / early 30s folk with spare cash and a love of retro. Reddit and eBay certainly confirms that N64 collection is on the rise, which is amusing because all of the crusty old farts like me dislike the N64. :)

2. flain

flain Member

The amount of systems kevtris has done hopefully one day they do a MiSTer like console with all of kevs cores on it :)

The Nt mini has a lot of cores in the "unofficial" firmware:
    NES / Famicom
    Sega Master System / SG1000
    Colecovision
    Atari 2600
    Game Gear
    Game Boy
    Game Boy Color
    NSF Sound Player
    GamateSupervision
    Game King
    Atari 7800
    Arcadia 2001
    Channel F
    Creativision
    Odyssey^2
    Adventure Vision
    RCA Studio 2
    Videobrain

3. elvis

One of Analogue's big selling points is real cartridge connectivity. That, and it clears them of being a "piracy machine" should any troll want to lawyer up.

I'd like to see two products:

1) a powerful TV-connected unit with pluggable cartridge units for all consoles

2) a portable, power efficient unit (maybe sacrificing a few higher end machines if needed to keep battery life decent) with good quality LCD screen, and the same pluggable cartridge connector.

Possibly even something hybrid, Switch style.

A complete, cycle accurate, and able to interface with real cartridges console and portable system would be amazing. Absolutely tonnes of work for a small company, but amazing.

4. elvis

power likes this.
  5. elvis

The review embargo is lifted. (Size note: is a shame YouTubers have to use clickbaity titles to get anywhere these days).

Don't be fooled by the IGN logo. This review is by the original Retronaut, Jeremy Parish:
    https://au.ign.com/articles/2019/03/25/analogue-mega-sg-review

My Life In Gaming:

DF Retro was delayed. Theirs is due soon.

I loathe MetalJesusRocks for a bunch of reasons, but if you don't, here's his rubbish review.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2019
    flain likes this.
  6. Grant

Grant Member

Nothing but praise from MVG:

7. Grant

Grant Member

I went to purchase one after seeing reviews but the only option for shipping is "Priority International" at US$80 - yowch, no thanks.

(...unless there's interest in a group buy? :leet:)

Blew likes this.
  8. nimmers

nimmers Member

Reviewers saying scanlines look bad on a non integer scale. Metal Jesus man, bad games :(

9. elvis

Yup, the MLIG video shows off good examples.

They recommend 4x for Megadrive, 5x for SMS (as it cuts off pixels no SMS games use due to the low line count).

You can use advanced scaling to change the horizontal scale to non-integer amounts if you want to muck with aspect ratio (the MLIG video again gives excellent examples of why you'd want to for certain games). But leaving the vertical resolution always integer scaled will guarantee the nicer scanlines, should you want them.

Dude just irks me. So basic. There are so many more competent content creators out there. Dunno why he gets the hits he does.

nimmers likes this.
  10. Camm

Camm Member

IMO, its entirely because of Youtube thumbnails and titles that sound interesting. How I found him in the first place, and even now, I see the occasional clip show up and get tempted at times.

His actual content is oh my fucking god I'm going to stab my eyes out Event Horizon style bad.

nimmers likes this.
  11. flain

flain Member

Good result from Analogue as expected ever since they set the benchmark :). Kevtris was working crazy hours to get the FPGA implementation complete and accurate, just like he did with the Super Nt.

Polymega have been trash-talking them on twitter leading up to the release (for those not in the know polymega haven't delivered anything yet and keep slipping dates and changed their product from FPGA "hybrid" to just a intel x86 based thing). To fan the flames they're opening up new pre-orders... the nerve

12. elvis

This sort of drama bores me. Talk is cheap, and until they have a product on the market, it's all hot air.

It seems retrogaming is rife with bullshit artists who love to feel mysterious. Watermelon and Polymega are recent examples. But it goes back to folks like the author of Nesticle being a control freak. This hobby seems to attract people who rely on a community giving openly, but want to restrict what they give back. I have no time for that type of personality when there are good people giving openly and honestly, without the inherited warez/scene ego.

13. elvis

"Clickbait" is the name for that. And it saddens me that it works.

14. badmofo

badmofo Member

This thing looks outstanding, I love that they include an SMS adapter as standard. The SMS deserves the love.

I have the real thing so don't need or want this (until they die), but it warms my heart that these classic systems are being reincarnated. Amazing really.

elvis and nimmers like this.
  15. nimmers

nimmers Member

I'm with you there. I've got my JP Megadrive 1, RGB cable and a CRT. Can and do play Megadrive any time I want :)

I gotta say I've never really been unhappy with my setup but going off all the recent stuff with tripple bypass mods etc apparently I'm meant to be?

16. nimmers

nimmers Member

Glad I'm not the only one who feels this way. How did he get this far being so bad?

Camm likes this.
  17. Blew

Blew Member

Yeah I've been bugging Analogue about this since the Super NT was released, but they've done nothing about it. I've concluded that they make a lot of margin on the shipping. Thinking I might get a Super NT + Mega SG in one order to make the shipping less painful, although shipping two comes to $USD120. Shipping three is the same though price, and that's probably the maximum before hitting the AUD$1000 customs threshold. So shipping would be $USD40 each in that case. The problem then becomes shipping costs for shipping from one person in Australia to another.

18. elvis

It's not limited to him. Search any retro gaming related content, and it's the same half-dozen channels that rank up the top of your results. Each and every one of them have the exact same clickbait title, stupid look in their face, stupid hat wearing thumbnail.

I took this screenshot the morning the Mega Sg was announced. Anyone who gives any of these idiots a click deserves to have their Internet access taken away for a year.

dumblook.jpg

19. Camm

Camm Member

I usually get My Life in Gaming and Modern Retro Gamer, which, whilst occasionally naff (more MLIG than MRG), are usually factual and not weird nerd fanboi screeing.

20. elvis

I can deal with those two because of their technical detail. I agree on "nafness" - both of those channels rank pretty high on the cringey-nerd scale. But I can forgive anyone who puts in the ridiculous amount of technical detail that they both offer, in their own unique way.

Metal Jesus Rocks, however... that guy is as basic as they come. For a dude who's been collecting and loving old games for so long, his level of technical understanding is disturbingly low.

nimmers, greencamel65 and Camm like this.