Analogue Mega Sg

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by TheWedgie, Oct 17, 2018.

1. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

2. Blew

Blew Member

ETA Prime is usually pretty good out of those. I've never watched the others and don't think I want to.

3. nimmers

nimmers Member

I'd love to hear what a top notch speedrunners impression is on one of these things. Like say if you got a Super NT and got oatsngoats and Zoast to speedrun Super Metroid on it and give their thoughts.

That's the kind of content I wish these youtubers would look to create instead of all just making the same click bait comparing the visuals with various things.

elvis likes this.
  4. elvis

There's a few comments in various videos that mentioned speedrunning. I think the pedantry there will really be on the record holders rather than the players.

I don't see a problem with holding separate records for these things. High score keeping is similar - at some point this hardware will die, and it'll be impossible for anyone to attempt to break an old record if the hardware doesn't exist. Keeping note of different hardware in different configurations is fair, I think.

Say, for example, a Super Metroid on real SNES speedrun, Super Metroid on Analogue Super Nt at zero delay / real framerate (60.08Hz) speedrun, and another at zero delay / 60.00Hz.

Similar to the "game hardware will die one day" problem, I can see a a future point where TVs accept 60.00Hz and nothing else, so even getting a picture out of accurate clone hardware might be a challenge. It's a bit like saying you can only set a 100m sprint world record if you run it on the same dirt paths of the ancient Greek Olympics. At some point we have to admit that allowing a more flexible way for people to compete is a necessary compromise, otherwise the list of competitors is going to shrink to a handful of people.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2019
  5. nimmers

nimmers Member

Got any links?

Like for example, I know SSF2:T on CPS2 pretty well. I can tell you exactly where it matters trying to play on MAME or SF2:30th. For example: I straight up can't hit the dragon punch I need to fight T.Hawk the way I do on real hardware, any amount of lag and I miss it, take shitloads of damage and my run ends.

This is the kind of stuff I wanna hear from players about playing on FPGA systems. Maybe we should write our own articles lol.

6. elvis

I'll have to re-watch the MLIG video I posted in this thread to get the timestamps. It was to do with Analogue Mega Sg offering a perfect 60.00Hz mode (different to the 59.91Hz of a real Genesis/Megadrive) that change the timing of games (they ran ~4 minutes of gameplay, and the clock was off by ~1s). So over the course of a full game speedrun, that will absolutely change the final result.

The SNES is similar, with an approximate 60.08Hz real refresh (which itself is prone to jitter, and now de-jitter mods are available and are getting speedrunners all cranky, even though it's been proven that the jitter itself as well as crystal tolerances affect speedruns by similar amounts).

But, as I mentioned, I think that should still be recorded as a valid value for that hardware/firmware/core-version/setting combination. It's just up to record keepers to be clear about what they're recording.

I think software emulation is a different story. There are way too many variables there (even if your PC is shit hot, a bit of disk IO can cause a frame drop, and that's not even talking about standard emulation lag).

Emulation is a fantastic preservation and reference platform (especially MAME, which is frequently a better hardware reference for things than other documentation which is often inaccurate or missing). But in a similar fashion where I wouldn't build a life support system out of Linux because it's not a proper RTOS, I wouldn't accept speedruns from MAME because it's too prone to fluctuations that are no fault of the software design, but instead the entire stack it runs on.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2019
  7. elvis

DF Retro review is up.

8. Jumpingmanjim

Jumpingmanjim Member

Has anyone here ordered one yet? How are you liking that 80USD shipping fee?

9. elvis

Firebrand X's excellent screen settings guide