1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Analogue Super NT

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by power, Feb 8, 2018.

1. BuuBox

BuuBox Member

It would be very unlucky for a coin cell battery to leak.

I will get around to replacing them all, hopefully with a battery holder so they can be replaced again easily in the future. Also need to do Gameboy carts.

2. WuZMoT

WuZMoT Member

CR2032 leaked in my slim PS2, to be fair I knowingly didn't replace it for about 10 years. Fortunately the internal design isolates it from the PCB and the stock one has heatshrink over it so nothing was damaged.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2018
  3. BuuBox

BuuBox Member

Unusual for a CR2032 to leak especially being so new. I might have a look at my PS2 slim, although it keeps time/date fine.

I've had a few instances where replacement coin cells have lasted significantly less than originals, despite being reputable brands. It'd be nice to find enclosed holders for 1 x CR2032 for my SNES carts, but all the ones I can find on eBay hold 2 or 3.

4. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

I was talking more about caps specifically to the "damage" comment. The Original XBox's 1F time/date cap, as an example, is famous for permanently damaging consoles.

Lithium "coin" batteries aren't as bad, but I've certainly seen some go and take out components.

Like it or not, opening up old hardware and cleaning it out is necessary for anything. I open all retro gear I buy straight away because I don't know what the original owners have done to it over the years. For my own stuff, I ensure it gets opened and proactively cleaned and repaired at least once every 10 years to prevent disaster.

I've seen a lot of folks add in holders to make battery swaps a no-solder affair. Sometimes requires a bit of dremelling of the holder itself (certainly not the cart or PCB), but the end result means future battery changes are trivial.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2018
  5. flain

flain Member

Arrived back from a work trip this morning and my wife had this waiting for me

Click to view full size!

'
    Still waiting on another controller and a SD2SNES to arrive. Installed the "jailbreak" firmware right away and loaded up some games. Plugged it into my 82" 4K TV and ended up spending the whole day on it :/. Never in my youth did i get to experience a SNES game with a proper sound system delivered digitally (hdmi so no analogue conversion here like the original snes). I always had my SNES plugged into some crappy tv that was handed down (usually with a mono speaker lol). It just blew me away hearing games i grew up with in a new level of clarity.

LAG
    Another thing here is my 82" TV has about 30ms of latency at 1080p (rtings.com for the win), which is considered excellent for a TV. However when i try to play normal emulators on it all the lag adds up and makes things unplayable. My TV is probably the biggest contributor here, but it all adds up.

For example i have an XBOX ONE X and one of my favourite games on XBOX 360 is R-Type dimensions. XBOX ONE has a "compatibility" system where you can play select XBOX 360 games. R-type dimensions is basically unplayable on this "compatibility" feature on my tv due to excessive lag. It's almost a 1/2 second delay between pressing a direction on the controller and the ship moving in that direction. It just doesn't cut it for a game that requires you to move NOW

Super Mario World is probably the best bench mark I use personally for SNES emulator lag. This is because on the original SNES its been shown on numerous youtube videos to take 3-4 frames for mario to jump after a button press. 3-4 frames works perfect when playing on CRT with a SNES, but if you add more delay, like a 4K TV and emulator its immediately apparent to anyone playing that the game is too slow to react. If Mario takes 8 frames and not the original 4, it breaks the game.

I am so so happy that i can report that my modern 4K TV is now able to play super mario world without any noticeable lag that i can detect, thanks to super NT. I have two children, 11 and 8, and they had a blast with it today. If there is interest i'm happy to post more pics / report on other games as i get the other items delivered and as i relive some classics with my kids.

Zenskas and elvis like this.
  6. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

There are a few digital/SPDIF mods out there for original SNES hardware.

Worth mentioning though that the SNES has several low pass filters that add some nice warmth to it's audio missing from the pure digital signal. Something easily rectified with good equaliser settings, however.

flain likes this.
  7. flain

flain Member

My SD2SNES finally arrived today (worlds slowest postage)

Was very easy to get going, firmware just drops directly to a folder on the SDCard. Perfect timing as the SA-1 beta support was just released for public consumption. I loaded that on and tested out Super Mario RPG which seems to work really well. Also tested out star fox and star fox 2 which appears to work perfectly. The 8bitdo controllers with wireless receivers feel pretty much identical to the original SNES controllers so i'm pretty happy with the setup.

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Last edited: Aug 3, 2018
    elvis likes this.
  8. dexster

dexster Member

finally decided to get the super nt out and try it out with the sd2snes pro...
    just admit i am a little underwhelmed by the super nt; but then again i am very familiar with the snes.

updated the firmware and was expecting a gameboy and nes core (maybe even a gameboy advance core too)
    ... guess i got was spoiled with the mega sg ; plus i never had a sega console until the saturn so everything was (and still is) new to me

it is a brilliant and neat piece of kit but i would be fine without it....

the super nt is already back in the box and mega sg/sd combo connected