Anatomy of a well-intentioned Linux Troll

Discussion in 'Other Operating Systems' started by cleary, May 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cleary

cleary Mental in the Face

Just found this sticky over at the Ubuntu forums, thought it might be of some value here too (I know I'm a sucker for telling a troll to f*** off without thinking through it, so now I can just point them to this thread) ;)

Last edited: May 27, 2006
  2. houseofzeus

houseofzeus Member

*she*? Who are they kidding :p

3. Polski Radon

Polski Radon Member

It is true, the most female Tux lovers use Ubuntu...

4. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

5. stalin

stalin (Taking a Break)

you got sharp teeth though elvis :)
    Although it probably doesn't help the blood pressure much.

6. elvis

Who me? Nah... I'm all warm and fluffy. Totally approachable and open to other people's ideas.

And to think... I used to be that guy who hangs out in the newbies forum answering repatative questions all day long. I wonder what SLATYE will be like in 5 years time? ;)

7. Techneon

Techneon Member

red meat's meant to be good for you ;)

8. OP
    OP
    cleary

I think he might have meant sharp in terms of depth of knowledge to your bite as opposed to being a prick ;)

Interesting replies - I think it's true that elvis takes the bait a little too easily, but the attempted conveyance of knowledge is always sincere and always of value (if not to the troll, then to me cause I almost always learn something new from his posts).

I had to laugh at that :D
    I still hold out hope of meeting "her" one day :p

9. GreenBeret

GreenBeret Member

When I first read the word "she" I almost immediately skipped the rest of the long post and proceeded to post something like that. :p Is it PC or is it a geek's sweet dream?

Well, at work, for many tasks, users have to use Linux. I'm one of the "Linux guys" in the IT team so I sometimes train people how to use Linux or even manage Linux servers, and a few of them are chicks (no sign of transexual operation as far as I can tell). Right now I'm training one in PHP scripting and using a template system*. You guys need a new workplace to show off your Linux skillz. :p

*just because she's cute, not that it's actually my job

10. elvis

Aww shucks... :)

I don't know what it is, but in the last 2 or so years my patience for naivety seems to had dropped exponentially. Once apon a time I would have just ignored most of the above types of trolls with a "live and let live" type of philosophy. But lately the sheer volume of unfounded speculation and ignorant assumption floating around just irks me.

I don't know if it's just me losing patience, or the fact that the internet as a whole is being flooded with clueless people. Maybe a combination of the two? I dunno...

But anyways, my goal is that for anyone willing to accept an alternative solution to a problem, they'll leave a conversation with me with more options available to them than beforehand. Honestly and truthfully speaking, I really don't care what people use or how they solve problems, as long as they've objectively considered all the options infront of them, and not dismissed 99% of them based solely on close mindedness or FUD.

It's not the destination that matters, but the journey.

11. OP
    OP
    cleary

We have roughly 50 of our users at work using Linux desktops, and many of them women - but the nice thing about them is they don't really know or care, it's just a tool to get the job done.
    I think I meant I'm yet to meet a woman who has a level of interest in it beyond the average pc user :)

Amen to that :)

12. MrRand0m

MrRand0m Member

I understand and use Linux...

Fact of the matter is - these 'trolls' are right in many cases.

I use Linux - because I like computers and I like to see what else is out there.

Fact is, for all its faults, Windows is still a lot more usable.

I configure FC5 the way I like it, I set up apache, I got wireless to work, I play with databases etc etc etc.

Yet Windows is still fuckloads more usable for most people out there.

Hardcore Linux people are just arrogant.

13. xsive

xsive Member

Windows is horrid. It tries so damn hard to be helpful and just ends up getting in the way.
    It also has very few alternative methods to doing things. For example, if I want to set-up IIS, I can do it through their plugin or not at all. Use OSX for a few weeks and you quickly come to realise how limiting it is working in Windows.

I'm not a hardcore Linux geek but I do work quite a bit with Linux and find it a much better experience than Windows. Like most people I'm lazy. I want to do things as efficiently as possible because I'd rather be doing something else. To that end, i find Linux (and most *nix-based operating systems) far more suitable.

Regular folk just don't know any better than to use Windows. My fiance has zero problems using my iBook or FC5 box for her daily computing needs. She never really learned Windows so she doesn't complain about things not working the way she's used to. She just accepts and gets on with life :)

14. GreenBeret

GreenBeret Member

Explain why at work we have more Linux than Windows but the ratio between Windows support tickets and Linux ones is around 10:1?

15. OP
    OP
    cleary

To quote the linked thread:
    "The well-intentioned trolls should save themselves some typing. It's all been done before. And I hope the next time we get one of those trolls, that you just link them to this post. I know I will. I'm tired of typing these rebuttals over and over again.
    If you really want to do some good, instead of whining on some Linux forums, do one of the following:

1. Put some of those programming skills to good use and help develop Linux
    2. File a bug report at the appropriate distro/software website
    3. Donate some money to help Linux developers"

Heh - feels good :)

16. GreenBeret

GreenBeret Member

Talking about setting up Apache, I'm a mentor of a few forums (Apache Config, Server Management etc.) on SitePoint and the vast majority of Apache setup or config questions come from Windows users who want to setup Apache on Windows. We hardly get any from *nix users. ;) You can have a look if you want, and see for yourself how many people post questions and in their Apache config they have paths like "D:\path\to\Apache" or specifically mention their Windows problems.

17. real

real Member

greenberet:
    the second situation would be people that have been referred to apache by assholes like me that give one liner answers like "apache - google it." when they ask what webserver to use.

generally a linux user would be more proficient at things like that because you actually have to go out of your way to install/use linux, windows is just "next, i agree, next, choose path, next, next" on almost every install.

thats why there is more people asking how to set it up on windows.

the first situation.. I dont know, maybe the windows user team at your work want a piece of your pie, if you know what i mean :o

18. elvis

HAHAHA! A thread about Linux Trolls, and we are lucky enough to be graced by one in the very same thread!

How convenient! :lol:

19. MrRand0m

MrRand0m Member

In my workplace, the more knowledgeable clients can choose to use our Linux version. Works great for them. The place where Linux has THE MOST potential at the moment is the workplace as it can be customised and preconfigured to suit the organizations needs.

Also users don't fuck it up by installing my web search or hotbar.

Giving it to a home PC user who knows nothing but Windows is just asking for trouble. But I still use it on my lappy cause I wanna support it.

But arrogant Linux turds who think its the best thing since the x86 architecture kind of stuff it up for everyone else. They are the sort of people who flame windows n00bs who are trying to give it a go and scare then away from Linux forever. Thankfully I got over my urge to find them and beat them to death with a dead penguin and tried to learn stuff about Linux whilst putting up with shit like RTFM and go back to Winblows and all that other crap.

Once some nice people took the time to explain the security model and a few other things to me, I got there in the end :D

20. hyperstyle

hyperstyle Member

Pretty much all of the linux or windows flames boil down to people using the wrong tool for the job. Linux rocks for it stability, customisation, security and freeness. But it really does suck balls for user friendliness, linux users that deny this are just in denial. There is a reason why microsoft and apple developed GUI based installation methods rather than sticking with dos or the shell. Linux has proven it's self in the server market and will remain there for the foreseeable future but until linux matures more it won’t hold much of the desktop market.

Even then the only people interested will be the people that do the "basic six" as most commercial software that is developed lives on windows or OSX. And although there are alternatives to pretty much every single app on windows or osx most of them really do not stack up when compared to their commercial cousins. This isn't the fault of linux or the people that developed the apps it's just that they were developed by volunteers and volunteers for anything are hard to find. Only a fraction of the man hours would go into the linux app as compared to the commercially developed one. When more of the "basic six" users convert we'll see the commercial software companies jump on the ball.

I'm at home with linux as just as much as windows and use both OS's daily. But only because i've invested huge amounts of time to learn the ins and outs of the OS and i honestly believe it's not because i had to 'unlearn' to say. There are a lot of little things in linux that you just can't do without researching. In windows if you don't know how to do something you can just keep clicking around until you find what you want. I'm not saying this is the best way to solve problems but it certainly is the easiest for people who don't even know where to start looking for the right information.

Long live linux! It will get there one day.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.