Android for n00bs

Discussion in 'Google Android (OS & Devices)' started by Whisper, Mar 6, 2011.

1. Whisper

Whisper Member

Hi

As a recent procurer of an Android based handset, I was wondering if there were any good FAQ's, Wiki's, How to Guides (for n00bs) etc people could recommend?

Thanks in Advance

2. itachi46

itachi46 Member

not really, but what exactly did you have in mind? (to ask)

3. Dommo

Dommo Member

Its meant to be intuative... thogh I must admit sometimes it gets a bit crazy. Just keep playing you cant stuff up tooo badly. And remember menue button will always get you deeper and home will always dig you back out.

4. dainese

dainese Member

and the long presses too.

check here OP:

http://www.androidcentral.com/

5. OP
    OP
    Whisper

Whisper Member

Ok a few things

A decent missed calls and new SMS function. How to get it?

How do I stop all those programs that show up in running programs from starting up?

When I go to the BOM website to view the radar, why can't I close the browser easily, so I don't get whacked by excess data charges because the page constantly refreshes?

Yes I know I can search on Google, but from where I am currently standing, I have no way of being able to sort the wheat from the chaff, which is why you ask friends and acquaintances who may have more experience than I have for guidance rather than just believing the first few hits on a search engine.

Surely there must be some easy to follow guides written by helpful people out there, that OCAU people can vouch for?

This is a start for the sort of thing I was looking for.

6. qwertylesh

qwertylesh Member

android is meant to run programs in the background, it has its own memory management, if your running a good version (froyo or gingerbread) then you may as well just allow it to do its own memory management provided you dont get any slow downs its fine.

if you are running eclair or older, then you may want to get minfreemanger and do a search on a more aggressive memory management.

theres no need for ATK on any version.

as for phone calls, if your not happy with stock and dont use htc sense, then you can get a free program called dialer one from the android market, and it will replace the stock one with one that is more friendly.

7. dainese

dainese Member

there are heaps of widgets that can give you reminders. i don't find them necessary personally.

you can go to town with this one:
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=665991

most screenies have widgets and wallpapers listed for you.

this app is also highly recommended by most and me:
    widget locker
    themes are here:
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=968613

widget index here too:
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=753151

autostarts can be customised to stop and control unwanted app under certain situations.

android is supposed to be self managing when it comes to memory and app management.

as long as the BOM isn't continually updating, it MIGHT be ok..

8. OP
    OP
    Whisper

Whisper Member

You know, I just want to sit and read some stuff that gets me up to speed on how this whole Android OS works, and what I can do to get the most out of it, without just fiddling and hoping for the best.

9. hak

hak Member

the first thing you want to do is to download timeriffic and set it up, you will now have a unique smartphone that will be distinctively different from the iphone and wp7.

10. Zee

Zee Member

Great! Erm... What does it do? (thinking of converting to Android soon - sick of Apple lockdown...)

Z...

11. flagger

flagger Member

Aussie Weather for BOM radar

Missed call for well... missed calls

New SMS's? Just go into the stock SMS app and select new SMS or select an existing conversation thread...

12. GooSE

GooSE New Member

Sounds like you're making it more difficult than it should be. Go read some forums. Install some apps. If you don't like them uninstall them. Play with some widgets, etc.

You're not going to break anything.

13. qwertylesh

qwertylesh Member

dont spoil all the whimsy and wonder of learning a new platform with faqs and guides!! >_<

14. 2SHY

2SHY Member

I have never read a manual for a phone that i bought. You should just discover the phone by yourself.

15. dainese

dainese Member

yeah. just get into it.

some good tips by some, and if you need help, we are here

16. OP
    OP
    Whisper

Whisper Member

Some of us actually just have work to do.

Look, I appreciate where you guys are coming from, I used to be like you, but now new toys are not the objects of wonderment they used to be.

At some point, you will simply want to get on with doing whatever the hell it is you want, or as is unfortunately the case, need to do, and fiddling with these sorts of things is not a high priority.

Thanks, you have been very helpful in this thread.

17. GooSE

GooSE New Member

Well what exactly is it that you must know?

It honestly is really straight forward. The apps that come with your phone by default will be able to do enough productivity-wise, seeing as you're over the wonderment of new toys. E-mail, calendar, wi-fi, etc. are all very straight forward. If you find that you're missing something that you need then you just get an app for it:

https://market.android.com/
    http://www.appbrain.com/apps/country-australia/

If you don't want to muck around with customisation and stuff, I don't see what you really need an FAQ or guide for.

18. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I was an android noob (probably still am!) up until a short while ago. All I did to get to know it was use it and consult the various threads around here.....wealth of info in them :thumbup:

19. Dave2972

Dave2972 Member

Here is a good one for you, say I bought an android phone an hour or two ago and got it to talk to my little Samsung phone and imported all the contact details via blue-tooth and then did a bit of fixing. Then I wanted to give each contact a different ring-tone (like my sammy). How do I do that?

Point out a thread.

20. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Read the manual? OCAU will never cover everything to do with your phone. However there is a chance your question has been covered already here, somewhere.