Android for n00bs

Discussion in 'Google Android (OS & Devices)' started by Whisper, Mar 6, 2011.

1. hak

hak Member

point out the model of the phone,

or edit your contact details and see if you can assign a custom ringtone to it.

2. looktall

looktall Working Class Doughnut

specific questions require specific details to give specific answers.

ie. which rom? which phone? which app?

depending on the rom and which app you can assign individual ring tones to individual contacts via the menu settings when viewing the contact.

so get on with it. that really is the best way. just pick up the phone and start using it. you'll be surprised just how easy it is to use.
    don't get bogged down on trying to find out how to use it. it really is phone, rom and app dependent.
    if my 62 year old mother can figure out how to use an iphone 4 all by herself without ever having even used a touch screen phone before, i'm sure you can figure out an android phone.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2011
  3. OP
    OP
    Whisper

Whisper Member

I really wish I had that amount of spare time.

Time it seems is becoming my most precious asset at the moment.

4. looktall

so you don't have the time to sit with your phone and learn how to use it, yet you have the time to trawl through internet guides and read faq's about it while being hand fed all that you need to know?

maybe you should get rid of whichever phone it is you have bought and go get a nokia 1661 instead.

5. power

power Member

just use it in it's default state like thousands of other noobs if you have no time to play with it.

6. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

On the bus to work? Lunch time? : )

7. power

power Member

even lying in bed in the evening before sleep!

8. dainese

dainese Member

on the pooper? :o

9. OP
    OP
    Whisper

Whisper Member

I have a 1 minute commute time.

Lunch is strictly for eating, if I'm lucky. No set lunch time really, the joys of being self-employed in an industry where the hours are most definitely not 9-5.

10. gregpolk

gregpolk Member

That new Tesltra $99 android prepaid looks interesting, might be a good place for someone new to start. Anyone know much about it?

11. Kurosaki

Kurosaki Member

To put it simply you don't need a guide. Android by default I find is a very intuitive system, certainly don't need to muck around with it to get it to function properly like Symbian phones of old. Yes, you can root the phone and put custom roms and so fourth but the reality is these things are extras play things for the geeks. This all goes back to the same question, what do you want to learn? Some sort of system optimization? Everything post 2.1 has become very good at memory and power management by default to the point where I find task killers and mem optimizers aren't needed.

12. looktall

got a link?

13. OP
    OP
    Whisper

Whisper Member

There are certain default behaviours like in SMS for example, you are replying to somebody who has sent you and SMS, their name is in your contacts, and you hit send, it takes you to another screen and you have to hit send again.

Or contacts where you have to keep pressing done to actually get the contact saved, or a way to get to the Wifi settings so I can turn off 3G unless I need it, or close the browser so its not auto updating in the background constantly (BOM Radar I use it a lot).

Problem is, either I only realise at the time I'd rather being doing something a little bit different, or alternatively, I wonder if there is a better way to do something I am already doing.

In the old days, we used to learn all about computers from reading magazine articles, no internet back then. Even after the internet came along, whenever something new came along you would find that there was nearly always a little guide or FAQ somewhere that explained things better than the next to non-existent manual.

Not everybody is generation X you know, but also, not everybody is happy just scraping across the bare minimum of functionality, especially when it seems there must be a whole lot more going on in the background.

14. looktall

i'm not sure what you mean there. if i receive an sms from someone i type the reply and hit send and it goes.

for contacts, if you don't press done how is the phone supposed to know that you have finished editing the contact? however, it should only require one press of the done button. does your takes more than that?

yes, the wifi settings are a pain to get to. your best bet is to go to the android market and download a widget. there is one called power control that lets you turn things like wifi, bluetooth, phone signal etc on or off with a single press.
    to install the widget you long press on the home screen and select add widget.

i believe with the browser if it is not actively open on the screen then it will not continue to load, but i could be wrong.

unless i missed it, you still haven't said which phone you're using and which version of android. there are lots of phones out there now and they don't all use the same controls and methods of doing things.

15. Kurosaki

Kurosaki Member

Look, you haven't even told us which Android phone your using! Due to the open nature of the Android system almost ever manufacturer puts their on additional modifications to the base OS. Thats why you don't find many guides for a basic outline because there is no basic outline. How the UI is modified and its use would be completely different from say a Samsung Galaxy S and a HTC Desire HD. Even though the underlying mechanics are the same the modifications to the UI makes it completely different so therefore advice for no does not necessarily work on another phone.

16. gregpolk

gregpolk Member

17. Dave2972

Dave2972 Member

Huawei Ideos X5 Froyo 2.2.1. I can edit the contacts but I can't find the ring tone edit bit. Apparently my model phone has a vanilla Android with minimal skinning and stuff.

18. Dave2972

Dave2972 Member

OK, it is a Huawei Ideos X5 so it did not come with a manual, just a little Quick Start Guide. I could not find a PDF from Huawei either and google just showed zillions of ads or press releases :mad:.

Have been wading through Android marketplace and struck out there. Found some other nice apps though :D.

It is a learning experience and I do like the phone. I just gotta get used to it.

19. OP
    OP
    Whisper

Whisper Member

Hey, I'm just telling you what happens.

Hit the type to compose button on a reply. I have the full Keyboard up and on the right it says send.

Write the message and hit send.

Then it minimises down to threaded view and I have to hit send again

New Contact
    First Name <next>
    Last Name <next>
    Phone Number <next>
    email <done>
    Then another <done>/<revert> button comes up again

Yeah I'm looking into those sorts of things, but then again, it'd be nice to be pointed in the right direction without having to wade through a 900 post thread to get to the good stuff. Like I said, I used to like fiddling with things. I used to be a format my computer every week for the hell of it, before many of the people here were even born, back in the day when there were 36MB partition size limits, but those days are long gone now.

Kurosaki, I have an Huawei X5 U8800 :leet:

See what Dave2972 said, that is the exact same position I am in.

There is next to no manual that comes with this phone, but it is close to stock Froyo 2.2.1

20. gregpolk

gregpolk Member

Power control is a stock android widget and can toggle wifi, data, 2g/3g, etc. I have it toggling all the usual suspects and then another as a single button which toggles wifi tethering. I don't know if the stock launcher lets you resize widgets like this as I run ADW launcher. I keep all this on its own screen including links to settings, links to wifi settings and whatever else I find handy to have a quick shortcut to.