Android for n00bs

Discussion in 'Google Android (OS & Devices)' started by Whisper, Mar 6, 2011.

1. looktall

looktall Working Class Doughnut

yeah i know. i just wasn't sure what you meant.

the screen shots i've seen of the huawei phone certainly appear to be a stock rom with no special customisations.

the done/revert button on my phone is present on my phone the whole time i am creating a new contact. i'm just using the stock vodafone 2.2.1 rom on an htc magic.

i don't however had a done or next button on my keyboard.
    i also don't have a send button on my keyboard when texting.

i'm starting to suspect that problem here is actually the keyboard.
    search the market for a different keyboard. just try any free one that is popular and see if the double send and double done issue goes away.

2. OP
    OP
    Whisper

Whisper Member

Well it had the Swype Keyboard installed which I hated as every time I wanted to start a new line, I got an emoticon instead. So I went back to the Huawei Input Method. (See in the FAQ, I'd love to see the instructions on how to change Keyboard Types. I've changed it once, but have no friggin idea how to change my Keyboard type again)

I also worked out what the problem is.

If I write an SM reply with the phone in portrait mode, then it sends straight away. Only problem with that is, the keyboard keys are way to small for me.

If I flip the phone to landscape, then I have to do the Send Send thing.

BTW the voice to text seems to work very well on this phone. I was surprised!!

Last edited: Mar 18, 2011
  3. Kurosaki

Kurosaki Member

setting -> locale and text -> Select Input method.

and I agree with looktall, does seem like the Huawei keyboard is the one giving you all the clunky sms problems. Personally I love swipe, so much quicker writing text!

4. OP
    OP
    Whisper

Whisper Member

Is there a version of Swype with an Enter/Return Key, instead of that stupid emoticon key?

I actually use my phone for work, not for teenage social networking. :(

I also do not have a locale and text option under settings

I have Location and Security or Language and Keyboard. Neither of which allows me to change my keyboard type.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2011
  5. TGM

TGM Member

Are you sure you're not using SwiftKey? I've never seen a version of swype with an emoticon button. There are three ways to get swype on your phone, it can come preinstalled, you can get into the beta, or you can pirate it. If you got it from the market it's not swype.

If it is a preinstalled version of swype with an emoticon button and you can't disable it in the settings then you'll want another keyboard.

When you are pressing a button twice in landscape to send a message the first press means that you're done entering text into that specific text feild and the second sends the message. I don't know of a way around this.

Changing the keyboard is easy once you know how to do it. First install it, then enable it by checking the box in settings > language and keyboards. To switch between keyboards long press in any text field, press input method, then select the keykeyboard you want.

EDIT: Looks like the new version of Swype does have an emoticon button. That's fucking annoying, so useless, if I find a workaround I'll edit this post again.

EDIT2:

Ok after a few minutes of googling the fix is easy.

Open your messaging app, press menu, go to settings, find the "action key" setting, and set that to enter. The location of this setting depends on your sms app.

In GoSMS it's menu > settings > send settings > action key type

In Handcent it's menu > settings > application settings > action key-type

Can't find it on the stock app, but GoSMS is much better anyway.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2011
  6. looktall

looktall Working Class Doughnut

to change keyboards, long press in the text box of the app you're using. ie. sms, email etc.

then select "input method". you should then be presented with the various keyboards you have installed on your phone (if you have more than one that is).
    select your keyboard and you're all done.

7. Dave2972

Dave2972 Member

I sorta agree with re swipe, I need more practice with it and then I would agree once I got proficient with it. It is a bit of a worry with URLs though, especially when I had auto complete on, it kept screwing them up.

8. Dave2972

Dave2972 Member

No, its some version of swype that came preinstalled.

If you press and hold on the initial text input box and then select "Input Method" from the menu and then pick the "Huawei" keyboard, you then get a return key. The "Android" keyboard that comes as default also has a ":)" in place of the return key. What the???

On my Ideos X5, you have to select the keyboard before you enter any text, once text has been entered you can't change the keyboard.

9. TGM

TGM Member

^

If you check my edit in my previous post it has instructions on getting rid of the emoticon key.

That key is an "action" key and the messaging app sets it's function, not the keyboard.

10. OP
    OP
    Whisper

Whisper Member

Thanks for your help, but unfortunately no such functionality exists on this phone.

Funnily enough the Richpad application keyboard when the keyboard is set to swype, has a enter/return key, but the SMS app does not and there is no setting either under any SMS menu or the setting menu for Keyboard is there any mention of an Action Key or anything like it.

Also, the GPS functionality leaves a lot to be desired. As far as I can tell, it doesn't even work on this phone unless I have the "Use Quick GPS" functionality enabled.

This is why I would have liked an Android FAQ, to find out if it is me being an idiot, or whether the phones functionality is not what I really want.

11. dainese

dainese Member

i noticed that as well actually. change the sms app. for some stinking reason the stock (?) sms app does that. VERY stupid.

try:
    gosms
    chompsms
    handcent

12. OP
    OP
    Whisper

Whisper Member

Bleh

Not the Droids I was looking for.

That is not your fault though, and I am not blaming you for being the bearer of bad news, but having do stuff off stock means more fiddling I was hoping to avoid.

13. Dave2972

Dave2972 Member

I read your post but the default messaging client on the IDEOS X5 does not have an action key setting in its settings menu. One of the other message clients you mentioned did though.

14. GooSE

GooSE New Member

1. Install App
    2. Use App
    3. If anything pops up asking which messaging app you want to use, select your new one