Android Media Player Box Advice Please

Discussion in 'HTPC' started by gbh, May 9, 2016.

1. Lasmi

Lasmi Member

It's a bit over a month since it was released, about three weeks since Kodi 16.1 was released, so it will take wrxstasy a bit to get it running as it should. He certainly did for the C1 and it didn't take that long after he started. I'd be surprised if it's not near perfect within a month tbh. If you post on their forum do remember he's not an employee and is doing this for nothing. A new version came out just yesterday so try that if you haven't already. To update simply navigate to the device from Windows and drop the update tar in the update directory and reboot.

A workaround for the stuttering, and you'll want to do this anyway, is in Video under Playback set Adjust display refresh rate to "On start/stop" and add in a delay. Also under System set Vertical blank sync to "Always Enabled".

It uses stock NEC codes though I couldn't find the right ones in the Logitech software so just use an old MCE receiver from ebay which is plug and play. CEC over HDMI works as well for most if your TV has it (that's been his focus lately).

Here's how to set it up with any remote but if you do have an MCE remote, or universal and program it as MCE, the instructions in the second link may work for you.

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=210987&pid=2291663#pid2291663

http://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f=138&t=20415&sid=477d080aab8de4dafe791b0963c0b25b&start=500

edit: Well that was bloody easy. I have my Harmony Remote setup to use MCE commands and just did this.

Code:
    ssh root@ip.address.of.C2
    Password -->  le
    cp /etc/lirc/lircd.conf.rpi /storage/.config/lircd.conf
    reboot
    If using Windows get PuTTY so you can ssh in, user is "root" and password "le" then simply copy and paste the bottom two lines.

At 5-20 times the price, a lot more power consumption and only the newer models have hardware HEVC decoding.

I'm happy to help if I can so either post in here or start a new thread.

edit: Here's a link to the best skin available. Click on raw to download and "Install from ZIP" under addons. Use 4.13 as linked NOT the development version unless you want a lot of pain and suffering.

https://github.com/Mudislander/hybrid-stable-repo/blob/master/skin.hybrid/skin.hybrid-4.1.3.zip

While we're at it here's my advancedsettings.xml. Copy and paste all the code into a text file with that name (make sure it's an xml file not txt) then just drop it in userdata via the share. Yes that's a 648mb cache for video, so files smaller than that should load off the network at 20 times the speed needed for playback and then let the NAS HDD sleep), and you could probably go up to 850mb if you want to go really crazy (remember you need free RAM of double that cache size). When playing back dark blue is the position and light blue is cached (alternatively press "O" on a keyboard and see actual numbers).

Code:
    <advancedsettings>
    <network>
    <buffermode>1</buffermode>
    <cachemembuffersize>648000000</cachemembuffersize>
    <readbufferfactor>20</readbufferfactor>
    </network>
    <gui>
    <algorithmdirtyregions>3</algorithmdirtyregions>
    </gui>
    <videolibrary>
    <importwatchedstate>true</importwatchedstate>
    <importresumepoint>true</importresumepoint>
    </videolibrary>
    </advancedsettings>

Last edited: May 17, 2016
  2. Rezin

Rezin Member

Can't speak for the odroid, but got an rpi Plusberry Pi with an IR receiver... Had to add a line to config.txt to get the, MCE remote working.

Edit : possibly rpi GPIO pins only.

# added to enable lircd used with gpio IR Receivers
    dtoverlay=lirc-rpi

Last edited: May 16, 2016
  3. Smokin Whale

Smokin Whale Member

Well, I just bought this: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Mini...Android-5-1-Quad-core-2-4GHz/32659044670.html

$50 AUD posted. Does everything I can think of - even 10bit 4K HEVC. Wow.

Only slight downside is no 3.5mm out, but USB DAC should fix that. Also no Netflix certification at the moment.

Side note, to anyone using these Android Boxes, what do you use for digital TV via IP? Running USB tuners to these things isn't really an option. Or do you all just switch back to the inbuilt tuner in your TV for that sort of thing?

Last edited: May 16, 2016
  4. silas

silas Member

well FUCK me :D did the simple copy (thought it worth the try) and the MCE units work !! THANK YOU

And I like to say that I make observations, no way do I complain about these things, I am so chuffed to be able to do these things and appreciate the time and effort given by people like yourself, I agree about the cost of the NUC, even the better cheap will be $300 all up.

Right, off to play with the settings, bye bye another 4-5 hours of playtime :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

5. Lasmi

Lasmi Member

You're welcome. I was surprised as well tbh. I too treat it as a learning experience and am more than happy to pass on what I've learned or assist where possible.

Yes observations and constructive criticisms are perfectly acceptable and even if you were to get a bit annoyed because you're frustrated I don't mind.

I just wanted to emphasize the point for everyone reading this thread. I know it's probably not needed around here but some people treat developers like wrxstasy and the entire Kodi and LibreElec team like they're servants, not even employees, whereas they're all volunteers not getting paid a single cent for what they do and it really pisses me off when I see them treated so poorly. It's not quite the same as someone volunteering for Red Cross or similar but it's in the same ballpark and they should be treated with the utmost respect.

On that note remember you can donate a small amount to both the Kodi and LibreElec developers to show them your appreciation and to help ensure they're not out of pocket for expenses.

https://kodi.tv/contribute/donate/
    https://libreelec.tv/sponsor/

Anyway I'm glad it's worked out for you and, this goes for everyone, don't hesitate to ask for further assistance if it's needed. If I don't respond feel free to PM me and point to the thread you're using.

edit: I'm using a Harmony with volume mapped to the TV's volume control but because CEC works it changes the volume on both Kodi and the TV. To get around this simply find remote.xml (unsure of it's original location) and change the volume control command to "Noop" (no operation) then drop it in the keymaps folder under userdata (files in there take precedence over the default ones - don't change the default one).

Last edited: May 17, 2016
  6. kogi

kogi Member

Performance wise? odroid c2 vs ras pi 3

7. Smokin Whale

Smokin Whale Member

Odroid C2 would easily outperform the Pi 3. HEVC decoding ability = big win in my eyes.

8. Lasmi

Lasmi Member

Easily the C2 in every way.

Not quite double the CPU power. They both use ARM Cortex-A53 but the RPI is at 1.2GHz and the C2 at 2.0GHz.
    Double the RAM 1GB vs 2GB, and it's DDR3 on the C2 vs DDR2 for the RPI.
    The GPU is a bit harder to quantify but the C2's Mali 450 is at least twice as powerful.
    C2 has gigabit ethernet whereas the RPI has 10/100.

The advantages of the RPI3 are a much larger developer user base, built in wireless and bluetooth and Windows 10 IoT compatibility.

9. silas

silas Member

To what end?

Performance can be subjective based on the needs, ie is Kodi faster, does Ubuntu boot quicker, etc etc.

But the overall experience is that it does appear quicker, but we are not talking so much that you would now discount the pi, it is still fast enough for what I use it for, and that is Librelelec.

10. Smokin Whale

Smokin Whale Member

You clearly haven't tried to decode HEVC on your Pi 3. :tongue: it definitely doesn't have enough grunt for it.

Edit: On a side note, you can get an Android stick PC that can decode 1080p HEVC for $32 delivered. Whilst I wonder what the quality is like, that's still absolutely nuts: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/MK80..._7&btsid=d90ed690-55f7-4c52-b76e-7a2f07022871

Last edited: May 19, 2016
  11. phantompisser

phantompisser Member

Since this has sort of turned into an odroid thread ... Where can I get a working image of libreelec that will just work . I tried the 2 official images about a month ago and they seemed to me that they needed some more work before they actually made an Odroid very useful . Lots of bugs that were absolute show stoppers not just annoying , Such as res change when rebooting which made anything after that impossible . Can't see anything on my network ... I probably could of tried harder but I already have a Pi that works just fine .

12. silas

silas Member

Which Odroid? the images are different

I have a C2 and use the latest from this one

http://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f=138&t=20415

13. phantompisser

phantompisser Member

Thanks for that and yes it's a C2

I had no idea how to do a clean install of the .tar file so I got the older version .img and used win32 diskimage to write the image file . That worked , Then I dropped the latest .tar file into the update folder on the Odroid over the network . I just used windows file explorer accessing it with \\192.168.1.xxx\
    Rebooted it and the updated tar auto installed after rebooting itself .

It still doesn't see my NAS with UPNP for some reason but it can find it with SMB . The biggest problem is that the audio is way out of sync . Seems to be worst on x264 encoded files . I'm not sure any sort of delay would fix it either as the further along the movie the more it goes out of sync . Using Audio passthrough and letting the amp decode the audio .

The Odroid is sitting side by side with my RPI2 . The RPI has no problems with any of the files and synced perfectly .

I think I'll stick it in the cupboard for another month and take another look then . It's definitely improved since I first tried it after pre purchasing on specs alone . Stuff like CEC now works but it still aint there yet , At least not for the average numby like me .

Last edited: May 24, 2016
  14. OP
    OP
    gbh

gbh Member

OK got my C2 today, up and running in about 5 minutes.

I have a Logitech Harmony Smart Remote I'd like to get going with it, any pointers?

What's a good skin? Confluence seems pretty limited.
    So far so good generally though.

15. srey

srey Member

I'm using 'mimic' on my fire TV. Changed the colour palette and generally frigged around with the look for a bit but overall it seems really good if you're after a clean, modern look. It is missing the power button on the home screen though, so you need to add a menu/submenu item for that.

16. Lasmi

Lasmi Member

It could be an issue with passthrough but it could also be audio out of sync with playback due to different FPS (the media and the screen). If it's the latter try this.

In Kodi settings under Video choose playback then set Adjust display refresh rate to always and enable Sync playback to display. Then under System and Video Output select Vertical blank sync. Audio should now be spot on and there'll be no tearing or visual artifacts.

As for the NAS I wouldn't bother with UPNP just set it up as a SAMBA server or better yet an NFS server (SAMBA is windows, NFS is linux).

Set up the remote in the Logitech software to control a generic MCE device and then just follow these instructions.

If using Windows get PuTTY so you can ssh in, user is "root" and password "le" then simply copy and paste the bottom two lines.

Code:
    ssh root@ip.address.of.C2
    Password -->  le
    cp /etc/lirc/lircd.conf.rpi /storage/.config/lircd.conf
    reboot
    As for the skin I greatly prefer Hybrid over all others but it's not stable on this device at the moment. Titan or Metropolis are quite good so check them out.

17. phantompisser

phantompisser Member

Actually on the download page "TIP: Need to wait for a slow Network or UPnP negotiation, then set this:
    Kodi > System > LibreELEC Settings > Network > Wait for network before starting Kodi > Enable" .
    It now finds the NAS , My NAS is set for SAMBA as well so it wasn't that big a deal but was broken none the less . I'll try the fix for the audio sync tomorrow .

Thanks for your help .

Last edited: May 26, 2016
  18. phantompisser

phantompisser Member

Bingo .
    Thanks again .

19. OP
    OP
    gbh

gbh Member

YOU ARE THE MAN

20. MagyaR

MagyaR Member

I guess you can technically power the C2 off a USB port if you have the usb power plug? Though you might run into trouble if you use 2.5" portable drives as well.