1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Android Media Player Box Advice Please

Discussion in 'HTPC' started by gbh, May 9, 2016.

1. silas

silas Member

MY C2 can run off of the onboard usb on a soniq tv (test unit) with no issues, but I would think a drive would need more power... not willing to try TBH

2. MagyaR

MagyaR Member

Well, ultimately I would like to set a replacement streamer up for dad, needs YouTube, Kodi, Abc/sbs apps. And a usb port or three for Logitech wireless keyboard, hdd(powered 3.5"). C2 should handle things ok? Can it upgrade the os within like streamers and phones?

3. Lasmi

Lasmi Member

On the website they've said it won't have enough power to run a HDD just from the C2 you'll need a powered USB hub or a HDD with external power.

As for ABC/SBS and Youtube the latter worked on previous devices but the other two won't with LibreElec. You'll need to use a web browser for those so run a Linux image instead of LibreElec. Alternatively you can use a ripper program just to save them and watch them on LibreElec but it's probably not appropriate to discuss that here.

4. MagyaR

MagyaR Member

For my aging father I think Android will be the most user friendly os to use. They're current Mygica box has Kit Kat. The HEVC decoding is a bonus. My HTPC which has a 3 year old AMD can't even play 1080p properly.

5. Radley

Radley Member

Can I buy an Intel NUC and install a Kodi dist of Linux on it? I'm currently using RPi2 and it's good, but I want better.
    Tempted to try the C2 but from you guys comments the OS's aren't quite polished yet.

6. silas

silas Member

Yes

Libreelec and openelec both provide images for the nuc

but that is 100% kodi, but most distros support kodi if you want to go unix

7. G-PhresH

G-PhresH Member

Ive been thinking of replacing my current setup (windows based) with an android thing.

Im thinking of upgrading my TV aswell and from all the research i have done it seems the best (and almost most expensive) option is the nVidia Shield TV.

Its got a few benefits such as
    - HDMI 2.2 for 4K @ 60FPS
    - Netflix 4K HDR support
    - HEVC (x265) native decoding
    - IR port and compatible with Harmony Remotes

There are also a few other things, but they are the major ones.

Thinking of getting one from the french amazon store. ~$265 posted for the 16gb one.

8. mitchamus

mitchamus Member

So i need a new media centre with my Intel stick being a PITA to deal with

i have come across the Minix NEO X8-H Plus and have a few questions for anybody with one

How does it go with playback of H265 & H265 content?
    How does it go when playing Dolby Digital 5.1 & DTS sound tracks (and what soundtracks does it not like)
    Can i put custom skins on the KODI like I can with any other version of KODI on a laptop/RPi

also, JBHifi and Bing lee have for roughly same price yet online they are MUCH cheaper on websites such as ebay and co... any reasons for this? is it a NON au version which is cheaper and am i better off buying online or locally in shops

also, i have NEVER used Android, anything i should look out for with this?

9. NerfDude

NerfDude Member

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=252916 Read this before you buy anything. If you can afford the nvidia shield its far and away the best and most futureproof of all the Android boxes. If you only want to use kodi perhaps another device will get the job done better/cheaper. Shield gives you 4K Netflix, Google cast, etc as well.

10. G-PhresH

G-PhresH Member

nVidia shield TV is basically the only device that is future proofed.
    It will also do game streaming :thumbup:

11. mitchamus

mitchamus Member

Thanks for that! had a look at the Nvidia device, the only problem is the price as well as the fact that I am NOT a gamer!

i will only be using it to stream content from my NAS via the 1gb port into Kodi and also use a streaming app or 2 for catchup TV (such as Iview) aswell as listen to radio apps and things like Spotify

sorry, i should have pointed out that im not a gamer, as a result i think the NVIDA might be a bit overkill

out of curiosity, are they for sale in Australia? if so, where?

12. silas

silas Member

Are you expecting to do all of these through the kodi interface?

If so then have a read of this thread

https://forum.libreelec.tv/thread-524-post-7692.html#pid7692

I have two boxes, I paid good money for a beelink r68g thinking an android box would be useful, but you have to remember that android is based on touch, so using a mouse or an air remote works but kind of doesn't. I then reads that thread and sorted out a $50 unit, soon as it arrived i tested to the sdcard and then five minutes later submitted the OS to the nand and it is a very competent unit, kodi in a shell and it works. I am unable to qualify the 5.1 as I have not tested that yet, but for me the thing works.

Small box, big presence and KODI :)

The 'issue' appears to be machines with only 1gb of memory, so like this one, try to find one with 2gb, there are lots of prior machines based on the 805 but they only appear to come with 1gb, but if you use ebay you may get them for $30 or so... cheap enough to mess with?

if you need any more info let me know here or in a pm

13. G-PhresH

G-PhresH Member

Unfortunately no, but you can buy them from Amazon US, UK and FR.

Ive currently got camelcamelcamel.com setup for alters when it goes on sale, as im not in urgent need of it.

Cheapest at the moment is either from the UK or EU. Both run around $270 AUD inc postage.

14. davros123

davros123 Member

Wow. Just about wetting my pants over my new toy. Where has it been all my HTPC building days!

$62 bucks delivered and this thing is is kicking ass! I know the kodi forum warns not to...but me really likey so far . I'll post again if I change my mind.

Beelink MINI MXIII II TV Box Set-top Box Amlogic S905X Quad Core 4K H.265 VP9 Decoding 2.4G+5.8G Dual Band WiFi Bluetooth 4.0 Android 6.0 2GB DDR3 RAM and 16GB eMMC ROM Media Player

Main Features:
    ● Amlogic S905X, quad-core CPU, rapid and stable, can give you a high-speed feedback and smooth response.
    ● Android 6.0: comparing to the former version, people can easily to install or uninstall applications and games.
    ● Dual Band WiFi: 2.4G plus 5.8G can improve the speed which can implement multi-task.
    ● 4K H.265 VP9 Decoding will offer you high definition pictures and movies.
    ● It can streamlines your video, music and photo from your Android devices through DLNA / AirPlay / Miracast.
    ● 2GB DDR3 RAM and 16GB eMMC ROM have advantages in performance, security and reliability.
    ● It owns the 3D noise reduction filter which is convenient for you to enjoy the high-quality entertainment.

Brand: Beelink
    Model: MINI MXIII II
    Type: TV Box
    GPU: Mali-450
    System: Android 6.0
    CPU: Amlogic S905X
    Core: 2.0GHz
    RAM: 2G
    RAM Type: DDR3
    ROM: 16G
    Color: Black
    Decoder Format: H.264/AVC,H.265,RealVideo8/9/10
    Video format: 1080P,4K,AVI,AVS,DAT,H.265,ISO,MJPEG,MKV,MP4,MPEG,MPEG-1,MPEG-4,RM,VC-1,VP9 Profile-2,WMV
    Audio format: AAC,FLAC,MP3,OGG,RM,WMA
    Photo Format: BMP,GIF,JPEG,JPG
    Support 5.1 Surround Sound Output: No
    Support 5G WiFi: Yes
    WIFI: 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac
    Bluetooth: Bluetooth4.0
    Power Supply: Charge Adapter
    Interface: DC Power Port,HDMI,Micro SD Card Slot,RJ45,SPDIF,USB2.0
    Language: Multi-language
    DVD Support: No
    HDMI Version: 2.0
    External Subtitle Supported: No
    System Bit: 64Bit
    KODI Pre-installed: Yes
    Power Type: External Power Adapter Mode
    Product weight: 0.440 kg
    Package weight: 0.440 kg
    Product size (L x W x H): 9.60 x 9.60 x 1.60 cm / 3.78 x 3.78 x 0.63 inches
    Package size (L x W x H): 15.50 x 10.00 x 7.35 cm / 6.1 x 3.94 x 2.89 inches
    Package Contents: 1 x Beelink MINI MXIII IITV Box, 1 x Remote Control, 1 x HDMI Cable, 1 x Power Adapter, 1 x English Manual

Last edited: Oct 20, 2016
  15. money_killer

money_killer Member

Just ordered a mi box android tv new model. Hopefully it's like a nexus player

16. G-PhresH

G-PhresH Member

Let us know how it goes.

Want to get a Shield TV but they are in short supply and fucking expensive!

17. MagyaR

MagyaR Member

How are the Odroid C2's going that people have recently purchased?

18. redav

redav Member

Our insurer's preferred supplier JB has recommended a Minix NEO X8-H Plus as an alternative to a Roku Ultra. I'm coming from a WD TV Live, would I be disappointed with one? We currently play media from a USB HDD and occasionally watch YouTube for TableTop.

Does it share attached HDD's on the network? That's how I update their content and its gigabit port is attractive over the Roku 10/100 but I'd expect the Roku is probably better elsewhere where it counts?

Last edited: Jan 17, 2017
  19. mitchamus

mitchamus Member

I have the neo and I love it!

One of the minix I looked at didn't do h265 but my neo does

20. grommet80

grommet80 Member

Or the Catch-up TV AU repo probably.