1. If you're receiving a message that you are banned from the Current Events or Politics forums, it's not you specifically: those forums have been hidden for all users. For more info, see here.
    Dismiss Notice

Anime Modelling

Discussion in 'Other Toys/Hobbies' started by prezident doom, Mar 22, 2009.

1. Semi-Evolved

Semi-Evolved Member

I just have different variants in different poses; haven't got enough shelf space for three of each :).

2. .Radiant

.Radiant Member

gotta mate coming from china with a plethora of hongli kits, sad thing is he's picked up a mg hi-nu, mg sinanju, mg destiny Extreme(or is full?), mg zaku II and pg wing zero for under $100 aud.

either way, my hizack should be coming this week, and just ordered a hi-nu and a turn-a gundam.

3. .Radiant

.Radiant Member

hi-zack came in yesterday. snapfitting it, really should be studying right now :thumbdn: didn't realise it was such an old kit, i was hoping for an entire innerframe, but it just feels like a big hg.

[​IMG]

4. OP
    OP
    prezident doom

prezident doom Member

My Hi-Nu is almost complete... just the weapons and some detailing to go.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. .Radiant

.Radiant Member

not doing seam lines? sticking out like a sore thumb on the boosters/pylons :p though looking good so far, can't wait for my hi-nu to get here.

6. OP
    OP
    prezident doom

prezident doom Member

Nah I haven't played with cleaning up seam lines before... something to try on the next kit :)

7. cnc168au

cnc168au Member

*sigh*

unfortunately, the hi-nu's hip joint isnt very strong, and the special lock style polycap in that joint makes it alot more stiffer.
    Hence, the peg snapped when i was moving the leg.
    cementing didnt help
    however, managed to fix it by putting a screw into it.
    now its very strong.

hope you guys dont run into the same problem.

Another interesting note.
    Im sure more of you would have read Dalong's review about the MG strike freedom.
    In one of the sections, he talks about the joint in the wings, in particular the section on the linked movement.
    At first, i didnt really understand what it all meant, but then it all came clear when the same thing happened to my own SF.
    Opening and closing the wings wears down that joint, and after opening and closing around 10times, the joint gets so worn down that its not strong enough move the other parts.
    Still thinking of how to fix that
    Fortunately its only happened to one wing.
    Maybe using metal tubing instead of abs might be better.
    Keep you guys updated on that.

8. RyoSaeba

RyoSaeba Member

Easiest thing to do. Where there are seam lines you want to remove, use some plastic cement to bond the 2 pieces together. Wait for it to cure and then apply putty. You can scrape away excess putty pretty easily. Wait for putty to dry, then sand smooth. Apply primer and then apply paint. I do this usually for HG kits. Most MG kits are relatively seam free but occasionally there are a few I need to patch up.

Oh also if the seam lines are very flat and even, you can pretty much skip the putty and just sand it down. I use range of 800-2000 grit sandpaper.

9. .Radiant

.Radiant Member

if you've got gaps within your pieces and you need putty to fill the gaps in, it usually means you've fitted the parts up wrong, for the most part you can get away with just slathering on the cement glue and sanding down. unless of course you've sanded the nubs down a tad too much or put an angle on the pieces ( which i do regularly).

[​IMG]

unicron is taking much longer than i expected, i keep on doing silly things and stuffing up the psycho frame, like dropping wet pieces on the floor or accidently getting black on them. handpainted btw.

10. .Radiant

.Radiant Member

just picked these up today hehe.
    [​IMG]

11. OP
    OP
    prezident doom

prezident doom Member

The blue frame is fun to build ;)

12. .Radiant

.Radiant Member

did anyone take advantage of hlj's sales? annoyed since i really only wanted to get the pg gp01, and they sold out in an hour or so. i doubt free international shipping is coming again anytime soon :thumbdn:

13. .Radiant

.Radiant Member

hobby search/1999.co.jp are doing a month of free international shipping :thumbup:

14. OP
    OP
    prezident doom

prezident doom Member

Hi-Nu in all its glory :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. .Radiant

.Radiant Member

looking good doom, i love the fin funnels/back pack of the hi-nu.

just finished snap fitting my blue frame, damn the tactical arms in sword form is huge!

16. Ekin

Ekin Member

I just ordered 4 gundam MG's from amiami and got slapped with a 9180 yen postage fee. Its being posted via EMS but i chose SAL parcel. According to the website the newly offered SAL parcel option isnt restricted by size or weight but for some reason my order says EMS is selected because my package exceeds size restrictions.

Is it normally this expensive for postage? 9180 yen (116aud) seems a bit excessive.

17. .Radiant

.Radiant Member

for ems yes, their SAL still has size restrictions, you could try ordering them seperately to see if you save any, but would depend on the kits. you should also try seeing if you can get the kits from hobbysearch/1999.co.jp. they're having a 50% off shipping sale along with their 20% off sale.

also pretty much finished my unicorn. thinking about getting a resin banshee conversion kit. little of bit of cleaning up to do, scratches on the paint, bits i missed e.t.c nothing much but gonna grab a can of top coat tomorrow. :tired:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 20, 2010
  18. Ekin

Ekin Member

That looks awesome radiant and thanks works out cheaper with hobby search. Just hope amiami doesnt mind me canceling my order.

19. showtest

showtest Member

Hello gundam fans.
    Say I ordered a can or two of mr hobby topcoat.
    What does aus customs and auspost think about that? Is it ok to import this?

Thanks for your help

20. RyoSaeba

RyoSaeba Member

Can't send spray cans in air mails. Most reseller won't even sell it online.