Another AIO thread Eisbaer 120+240 or Ryujin240? Asking OCAU for some help/experiences...

Discussion in 'Extreme and Water Cooling' started by GDavid, Aug 11, 2019.

1. GDavid

GDavid Member

Have used a Corsair H80i pushpull shoehorned inside a Temjin TJ08-E for a few years, BUT it gets WARM in Adelaide in summer and I'm rebuilding my computer again...

Started working on an updated budget box recently due to forum purchases like a 38" UW, 1080tiSC2, MaxIXcode/7700K. :thumbup:

My working life is running around cranes and have reached information overload on AIOs. Just can't watch any more Gamers Nexus/JayzTwoCents or read any more articles from Guru3D/OCnet/TechPowerUp/Anandtech. :wired::tired:

I'm looking for a little OCAU help and experience choosing an AIO for this old-hat build:
    Silverstone Primera PM02 (will Dremel lower front for ventilation and fit after market filter mats)
    [​IMG]

I'm looking to create decent airflow with AIO cooling for the CPU.
    Selected the case because:
    • 3x140s in front
    • Rear mount 140
    • Top-mount Radiator/s to 240
    • USB type C+ 3x USB3.0
    • Cabling and drive bays
    Asus Maximus IX code/7700K (delidded)

AIOs considered and could upgrade fans to Noctuas or somesuch:
    • Alphacool Eisbaer 240 CPU Black (expandability for future, upgraded fans)
    • Alphacool Eisbaer LT240LT
    • ASUS Ryujin and Ryuo (Temp monitoring. but for the price I can also upgrade H80i in the other box that will become my son's delid 7600K box with a 980ti)
    AIOs no longer considered:
    • EVGA CLC 240 (2016 model, some consider noisy)
    • NZXT (software, asetek, branding to a lesser degree)
    • Corsair (software, too much bling, too many versions)
    • SilverStone Tundra Series TD02-RGB (lacklustre cooling/tubing)

So, it's probably the Alphacool(s) then. Any thoughts or reasoning to change?

Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
    Bold Eagle and Wozzernux like this.
  2. juzz86

juzz86 Member

I like the look of the Alphacool gear too mate - proper tubing and fittings, a fill port and a somewhat-replaceable pump if the shit hits the fan.

I'd go the 240 CPU between the two - the LT loses you the easier filling and res volume, but the pumps should be similar in performance. The LT is newer however, and should be easier to source a replacement for.

The ASUS AiOs are way too expensive for what they are. Price is unbelieveable.

You'll be happy with the Primera - a lot of breathing room for the price and the basic chassis design is good - they used the same box across Primera/Redline etc. lines. I wouldn't grab the Dremel until you see how it breathes - the Redlines I've built in have been very good.

SomeBoredGuy, kEv_ and GDavid like this.
  3. OP
    OP
    GDavid

GDavid Member

240 CPU seems better buy and more ubiquitous, $10ish more for more utility. LT radiator only 5mm thinner, but that would effect cooling I guess.

TechPowerUp's reviewer stated "Taking a quick peek at the ceiling, you will notice the space between the motherboard and these mounting holes; this confirms that you should have no issues installing a 280 mm radiator here."
    Manufacturer states up to 240mm...
    [​IMG]
    TweakTown's reviewer stated: "Removing the magnetic dust filter from the top, we can see slotted mounting at the top for 140 or 120mm based fans. Radiators are also supported up here but only 120mm variety up to 240mm. Be mindful of thickness as an AIO installed up here came close to our installed H100i, so a thicker radiator would likely have some fitment concerns."
    [​IMG]

Might fit motherboard and such to the case to do a final measurement check, would really like to go for a 280 but might have to mod too hard. I've also read a review where they said top mount radiator screws interfered with the magnetic dust cover...

Asus, agreed. I can buy an Alphacool 240 AND a 120 for the price of the better Asus (with the cooling block fan, which is supposed to be quite noisy) However that monitoring ability and tie in to motherboard are apparently let down by software according to what I've been reading...

Also built inside an ML09 last year, which is part of my reasoning for going Silverstone again. Consistent builds requiring few mods. However, the lower front fan in the PM02 is restricted by the front of case in addition to the LED projector. I will have at least one 3.5" drive in there so I want the fan working.
    [​IMG]

SomeBoredGuy was talking of a couple of Noctuas he had for me, but I'll probably look into fans more post build seeing as it's such a roomy case compared to my last three or four builds...

4. SomeBoredGuy

SomeBoredGuy Member

+1 for the alphacool (as original discussed) for me its either alphacool or evga (and you replace the fans)

my only further advise as discussed is never decide based on fans (noise / temps) for the alphacool rads id also replace the fans (maybe even get slim fans if you wanna be sure about the clearance although u will need to confirm which screw type u need to buy for slim fans (unc or m)

regarding the eisbaer 240 cpu

i have the block/pump combo for this in my custom loop and am very hapyp with it but id go LT240 you can expand with it very easily and smaller footprint for the block is nice (although you do lose the ability to refil)

GDavid likes this.
  5. juzz86

juzz86 Member

The issue with a 280 in the roof (despite the holes being there) is that anything but the slimmest radiator encroaches on the clearance for EPS and motherboard heatsinks - if the top of your board is low-clearance, you'll be fine with a 280 in there - they do fit. Countersunk screws can get around the filter lift somewhat. You can always go 'pull' on the radiator and mount the fans straight to the roof - depends entirely on motherboard clearance.

The fans on newer Alphacool AiOs are branded Silent Wings (Be Quiet!) - they'll perform very well. Older Alphacool fans were Yate Loons, which weren't particularly noteworthy.

I didn't realise they'd put the LED projector down there - makes sense to open that up a bit for breathing. Alternatively, turn the rear exhaust around and filter in - two front / one rear intake, two roof exhausts - leave the bottom slot open. That'll work well too.

Don't write off the fans that come with the case either - they're a very good case fan at lower speeds.

GDavid likes this.
  6. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

7. juzz86

juzz86 Member

Yeah fuck AquaTuning with the rough end of a pineapple, there's not even a warehouse here and their shipping is ridiculous - totally dishonest service, not even an Australian domain. What you save on the unit cost you pay out the arse in shipping unless you order a thousand bucks worth a go. You will get your gear, but you will pay for it and you will wait. Australia is just an afterthought, the domain's just there to set the right currency.

UMart looks like the cheapest for the 240 locally at 195. With shipping from AquaTuning you're looking at 260 anyway.

EDIT: You also can't quite squeeze a 420 in the front (without mods, anyway)- clearance around the PSU/drive shroud at the bottom is just a bit skinny for a radiator and fans.

EDIT2: Beg pardon, looks like that was fixed in the PM02 - there's a screw out cover there.

Bold Eagle and GDavid like this.
  8. SomeBoredGuy

SomeBoredGuy Member

'

agreed i love them for my 28 degrees card though

9. juzz86

juzz86 Member

You mean Alphacool or AquaComputer? Pretty sure AquaTuning are just a distributor.

I do agree though - old Alphacool fittings etc. used to be a bit hit-and-miss, and certainly their pump reliability was a bit the same. They seem to have really turned a corner though, and their pump blocks have always been top notch.

Speaking of the LT before - I'm pretty sure Be Quiet! do a very close product in the Silent Loop 240 - I also remember discussing this with someone before, let me see if I can find the posts.

EDIT: Here's the posts.

10. OP
    OP
    GDavid

GDavid Member

K. LT same dimensions apart from 25mm thickness I like the idea of refillable though. :thumbup:
    Top mounting hole centres of slots @ 105 & 125mm respectively, I've seen a couple of peeps have shoehorned screws through the venting holes *(to fit 280 rads/140mm fans)*. Why I need to do the fit and measure checks. Can probably achieve countersinks with a decent swing of a hammer+dolly and centre punch (prick punch is 60 degree included angle ;)
    Yep, the LED projector could have been placed slightly lower so it centred better on the fan spindle. More things I'll be looking at...
    Good news on those fans then, as I was hoping to have most of the fan control (PWM(?) covered by the motherboard.

Bold': Thanks for that, SBG put me onto them about a week ago. I like juzz86's rant though for the reasons he uses, free shipping up to 3KG if you spend a thousand dollars LOL :thumbdn:

:lol: :thumbup:
    Umart were pretty good with their "change of mind returns policy" recently, so I'll be looking to them or one of the OCAU sponsors hopefully. :)

I've been paying more attention to airflow/cooling and the GPU I purchased isn't going under water for a while (if at all). Essentially, 3x 140's pulling should bring enough air flow for the GPU and a 240-280 AIO to push out the top and the rear 140 set a little faster to vent past the backplate...?

Did read the other two threads you were involved with juzz86, but figured it would be better etiquette to start a fresh info request... :thumbup:
    Anyhow, have an RDO tomorrow so should be able to fit motherboard and measure.

11. juzz86

juzz86 Member

I like UMart. You pay a little extra, but the service is good and their postage is quick. Try Scorptec also.

What's the GPU mate? In all honesty if you kept your temperature requirements in check you'd get away with CPU and GPU on a single 240, you've just gotta keep the fluid under about 50C so you don't go getting too close to that magic 60C cut-off point.

Beano's got some great old threads in here of all kinds of shit hanging off a single 240!

I like to aim for one more intake fan than exhaust. If I can't do that - run the intakes a little bit harder than the exhaust. Very mild positive pressure - stops the case sucking air at the seams, means the exhausts are never starved for pressure and have to work harder :thumbup:

GDavid likes this.
  12. SomeBoredGuy

SomeBoredGuy Member

agreed a 240 rad can do a lot (look at my setup) 65c max temps on gpu/cpu :D

13. juzz86

juzz86 Member

See that's about 350W of dissipation there - not a bad effort at all. I'd be keen to see how hot your water was running mate, any data?

14. SomeBoredGuy

SomeBoredGuy Member

no data unfortantely but if you send me a probe i could stick it in and let ya know ;) (wish i did knew my water temp but alas i didnt put anything inplace to do so).

was thinkin of going 2080ti but cbf disassembling a newish loop for it (also pricing)

waiting for next gen atm.

15. juzz86

juzz86 Member

I've got a spare inline monitor if you'd like one. Bit fiddly to mount - you need male threads both ends. Works okay Res > M/M gender bender > Temp Probe > Fitting > Tube, but not elegant if in sight!

It does mean draining, though. Boo.

16. juzz86

juzz86 Member

I just picked up a beaut 1080Ti and block.

2080 Super pricing here is fucked, so the 2080s didn't budge like I thought they might. 2080Ti a lovely card but way, way out of my price range. 1080Ti smokes the old 980Ti in all my current games anyway :thumbup:

17. SomeBoredGuy

SomeBoredGuy Member

18. juzz86

juzz86 Member

Yeah, I was leaning that way initially but they're neck and neck outside DLSS, and I wasn't going up in TDP anyway from the 980Ti.

Those little buggers are a dime a dozen - Hugh's got you covered locally. There's no need to buy the expensive ones - you are getting exactly the same 10K thermoprobe and a plated plug. If you can wait, they're about four bucks out of Honkers.

GDavid likes this.
  19. SomeBoredGuy

SomeBoredGuy Member

not keen on this as it doesnt show the materials its made of (very cautious of mixing ) also 9 bucks for shipping kills it for a 4 dollar item : / ill have to think about it as ive been look to get water temps. thinking of moving from manual fan controller to one that can run off water temps :)

20. juzz86

juzz86 Member

They're nickel plated brass mate, I use them myself. Buy a few bits and pieces - he'll bundle them all up for you. He's a good bloke.

I've set up something similar in my latest desk build - little PWM fan controller runs off a temperature probe in the coolant. I started off with non-PWM fans as I didn't have a matching set, but now that I'm on PWM fans it's working as it should :thumbup: