1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Another EA casualty - Maxis closed.

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by power, Mar 5, 2015.

1. power

power Member

EA Shuts Down SimCity Developer Maxis

Unfortunately they'll cling to the IP and keep making it worse and worse I'd say.

2. 2SHY

2SHY Member

A shadow of their former self. Their IP's were second to none in the 90's now probably irrelevant now that other dev's have picked up the slack.

3. sTeeLzor

sTeeLzor Member

I think this is more Maxis fault for developing a SimCity that felt more like building SimNeighborhood....

How can you blame EA for that? They are the producer and Maxis didnt develop well.

4. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

That direction would have been given to them by EA, you can guarantee some nob at EA told them what they wanted.

5. sTeeLzor

sTeeLzor Member

Meh. I highly highly doubt that EA told them to go make SimNeighborhood. EA might have ticked off what they thought they could do, but Maxis would have done the design, and developed the technology to do it so small.

I disagree with your assertion. Just seems like blind EA hate without much thought on your behalf.

6. mshagg

mshagg Politburo

Wasnt Spore a trainwreck as well? Notwithstanding the overall disappointing direction of simcity, the gameplay in what was delivered wasnt even that great and many of the underlying mechanics were simply broken. They cashed in on the fond memories of Gen X/Yers like myself lol.

Dont make good games, cant complain when your studio gets 'absorbed'.

7. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

you guys seem to forget that publishers have a massive amount of sway - ie this is what the game must have kgo.

always online would never have been Maxis idea, would have been EA for sure.

8. sTeeLzor

sTeeLzor Member

I didnt mind SimCity as a game in its isolation. It worked okay and was fun. Except it took you an hour to build up a city and that was it. Always online may have been EA's idea however the game itself was Maxis' doing.

I'm not going to blame the publisher for something the developer built. I would have dumped the dev too.

9. Pinkeh

Pinkeh Member

RIP

Bioware
    Westwood
    Bullfrog
    Origin
    Mythic
    Maxis

We shall not forget your accomplishments before you agreed to be consumed by the Dark Lord EA. :Pirate:

Last edited: Mar 5, 2015
  10. sTeeLzor

sTeeLzor Member

Doesnt Bioware still develop?
    Wasnt Westwood just rebranded?

11. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

let's not forget the ludicrous drm that EA hobbled Spore with.

EA made many titles stillborn just by forcing some arse backward bullshit on top of the games.

12. neRok

neRok Member

I reckon they would have developed it to a set budget. They probably only had x amount of time to develop the agent system (or whatever it is called), which didn't produce good results. Then they had to reduce the city size as they probably knew the agent system wasn't good. Such a disappointing game (I grabbed it on the first weekend :upset:).

EA also ruined another game I played, Lord of Ultima. Thus, I am on the EA boycott bandwagon.

13. Pinkeh

Pinkeh Member

The games were shit after they were bought out by the Dark Lord. That's not conincidence when there are some many old IPs that turned to shit. Although shit is relative and if you don't have experience the games industry in the 90s to early 2000 before the Dark Lord went from Electronic Artists to Game IP / Asset Acquisition Practitioners then you won't understand the hate.

14. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

EA just buy the IP, the brand and then run the studios into the ground, most of the talent leaves after a fairly short period of time.

15. sTeeLzor

sTeeLzor Member

Biowares games are just about across the board AAA high quality titles. I dont get where your pushing with that call. Dragon Age is right up there and Mass Effect is pretty much one of the best series develpoed in the last decade.

16. Pinkeh

Pinkeh Member

Oh you're one of those EA Corporate Defenders, overlooking every single consumer complaint over the last decade or so. The games were picture perfect and consumers are just assholes. EA propaganda machine working as intended. Right. Cya.

17. sTeeLzor

sTeeLzor Member

Nothing to do with Marketing. I loved those games like no other.

Unlike you of course. You certainly dont follow the "sheep mentality" of indiscriminate EA Hate. Bahhhhhhhh!!!

18. Pinkeh

Pinkeh Member

19. whatdoesthisdo

whatdoesthisdo Member

I never seen a video so accurately narrated video before and Steeloz is the exact reason why EA are like that and get away with it.

20. sTeeLzor

sTeeLzor Member

Im not really worried about anyone else's opinion. I am quite competent in making my own decisions on the quality of a game. EA consistently produces high quality games.

Go back to your indies and your EA hate.