Another G15 respray - Didnt break LCD

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Scotty1991, Sep 16, 2007.

1. Scotty1991

Scotty1991 (Banned or Deleted)

Hello, today I desided I would take my G15 apart and paint the silver part black...

It all sounded like an awesome idea, until I realised how hard it was to take apart!!
    [​IMG]

Eventually after nearly a hour, I had it in pieces.

[​IMG]

So it was time to paint! A few coats (5) of plain gloss black spray paint.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The reassembly was the most tedious experience of my life, every tiny connector, things not fitting, it was like a console racing game when you cant finish the race first... except this is your keyboard and you cant simply turn it off or you just lost over 150 dollars!!

Eventually I got it finished, all put back together, with 4 screws not used?
    I have no idea where the hell they came from, but it seems to work without them.

[​IMG]

Two of the buttons dont work (mute and LED ajust) but everything else does, which I am thankful for, as the LCD connector is just retardedly difficult to put back together!

[​IMG]

And thats the keyboard, back in its usual environment.

To anyone else who trys this, it is probably easier to simply get a black marker and colour it in, and if you must paint it, sand it back first!
    My paint has already needed touch ups!

Thanks =]

Last edited: Sep 16, 2007
  2. alvarez

alvarez Member

Congrats, Looks like your the first one to do a respray wothout killing your LCD.
    :thumbup:

3. /\/\usE+

/\/\usE+ Member

every experienced modder knows they go over your shoulder :Pirate: :thumbup:

4. Billabong00073

Billabong00073 Member

haha mate, i had 4 screws left over.....10bucks says its the ones for the Logitech G15 part ;) poke it a few times. also for some reason those buttons dont work for me either :\

5. Un_OC

Un_OC Member

Just an idea. Would it have worked with covering over th keys and LCd adn then spray painting it?

6. OP
    OP
    Scotty1991

Sweet :D

Ahh ofcourse! :D

Its this bit of plastic that I didnt put back in, but meh, I dont use the LED's on low or off anyway.. well at night i do, but oh well, screw it!
    I think the 4 screws are from some component i dont need.. :Paranoid: , wait, ur right! :D that g15 part wouldnt come out, so its black now :D

Well it would take you AGES to mask it all, like 2 days, and the surface to spray would be uneven and hard to do. Some parts are already black, I simply painted the silver part.

7. TheLobb

TheLobb (Banned or Deleted)

the four screws might be some kind of way for them to know if yours has been opened. that is if you did not paint it. and modded it some other way that made it look stock

8. DavLe.BeRRy

DavLe.BeRRy Member

Why? it isn't that hard to dismantle and alot safer than overspray. it would probly be quicker.

I pulled out all my keys organized them by numbers, letters, g-keys, f-keys, numpad, symbols tore it all apart and had it together within 1hr minus painting/drying time.

Of course i've dismantled it before so it wasn't hard for me.
    I had always toyed with the idea of painting it, 2 tone keyboards are ugly imo i dunno why Logitech didn't make it full black in the first place, it looks awesome!

Now you just gotta paint the silver on your mouse black scotty ;)

9. OP
    OP
    Scotty1991

They were from the G15 acrylic logo, it doesnt need them to stay in there, and without them, still cant be removed afaik.

Thanks man, yeah I was thinking about it, but the mouse surface would be kind of strange to paint, as it would wear easily, its true, it probably takes longer to mask a whole keyboard than to take apart!!

10. Seith

Seith R.I.P.

haha I just painted mine then. I followed this guide while taking it apart

http://www.g15forums.com//index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=26&Itemid=41

Have yet to put it back together but yeah didn't seem that hard to take apart (Once I found the guide). As for the mute button. Just make sure its in the right spot so it hits the button inside the keyboard, if its not that then tsk tsk tsk.

Well done mate.

11. DavLe.BeRRy

DavLe.BeRRy Member

there's a worklog somewhere where a guy sticks a Nokia 6610i screen into a G5 basically the same structure as your mouse, if you follow that you should easily be able to dismantle the mouse.

as for painting it it'd be a bit more involved than the keyboard, i would:

1) dismantle
    2) clean
    3) light sand
    4) coat of plastic primer
    5) 2-3 coats of gloss black paint

if your game ;) it would make a much more unique mod and match up well.
    6) 1-2 coats of a cheap clear coat

12. Billabong00073

Billabong00073 Member

Thats the instructions i used too, too bad i didnt read the fine print about the black clip which holds in the LCD ribbon >.>

13. OP
    OP
    Scotty1991

That clip was an asshole, i hate it, but does you screen work? :D

14. Billabong00073

Billabong00073 Member

no, im still waiting to buy a crapped out G15 and yanking the clip from it. The ribbon just simply doesnt hold in, its like a 3mm plug so there aint much grip.

It works yeah but not at the moment :p

15. OP
    OP
    Scotty1991

Ahh i see, i dropped that clip on the floor, but soon found it.
    I removed the lcd ribbon cable without removing the black clip... i just pulled till it came out O_O, good thing its still in one piece i guess? :p

Also, I didnt unscrew the LCD off the top pannel..
    Couldnt you just use some sort of paper wedge? =D

16. Billabong00073

Billabong00073 Member

If i cant find a broken G15 ill try a hot glue gun, hopefully it wont melt the ribbon.

17. mecka

mecka Member

Hate to burst your bubble but mine's been vinyl dyed since April this year :D. The dye soaks into the plastic, doesn't scratch off, doesn't need priming or sanding back, and tends to blend in better with the slightly rubberised coating of the rest of the keyboard.

[​IMG]

I also did a G11 in december last year - the G15 isn't much harder to take apart, you just have to be careful with the ribbon connecting the lcd to the circuitry.

Its just a shame the paint on the keys is starting to scratch off. I might have to get a replacement and do a detailed worklog.

18. Seith

Seith R.I.P.

I have a brand new broken G15 (From a mate) and my G15. So whatever I don't fuck up you can have if you want :p Don't go gluing the thing together yet :p

19. OP
    OP
    Scotty1991

20. DavLe.BeRRy

DavLe.BeRRy Member

ehh it looks professional, but i think gloss black looks much better. IMO.
    edit: just looked at the G11 pics, the charcoal gray look is down right sexy. :D