Another UDS Build

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by MB403, May 31, 2015.

1. MB403

MB403 Member

Hey Hey Chapps!

well after some inspiring builds ive seen lately (STATTS - NSUDS/interweb) im jumping on the band wagon! only had a couple of hours today to have a muck round and paint but alas here are some photos. Got myself 2 drum incase i screw it up..

[​IMG]
    http://ocau.com/pix/z0r3m

got all the brass bits etc and went for a few coats of primmer and some good old chrome.

[​IMG]
    http://ocau.com/pix/t5asv

all dry and ready to go.

[​IMG]
    http://ocau.com/pix/vxy05

with pretty much no research at all ive gone with 2 front inlets.

[​IMG]
    http://ocau.com/pix/bseqz

with the end caps on.

[​IMG]
    http://ocau.com/pix/c4png

moving onto the airflow control inlets on the rear of the drum. simple threaded insert with brass hex nut. 20mm hold diameter from memory.

[​IMG]
    http://ocau.com/pix/3h8mn

airflow control assembly completed and assembled. all sprayed chrome except the stainless handle ball valves. 20mm copper pipe is 600mm long

[​IMG]
    http://ocau.com/pix/k87br

finally, inside picture with aluminum 380mm pizza tray for size comparison. I am thinking i may have to go a little larger for a basket. seems a little small to me. Anyways minor update. just bought a 2nd hand weber off gtree for $40 so that will give me a dome lid to have a play around and some grill grates.. i also bought 500ml of white knight pot belly black high heat resistant paint to spray on the drum. not sure how much ill use but 500ml is a good start. not sure if it sprays like 2pack so ill have to calibrate the gravity gun first without wasting too much. $25 from bunnings i believe.

i also want to try my hand at adding a smoke stacker to my weber lid, maybe 400mm high..

One of the reasons i wanted to try my hand at diy uds was to see how it compares price wise to buying a kit. Whilst i want mine to have a few optional extras ill be adding a cost list during updates.

I found some great builds but only a fraction of transparency when it came to costing on builds. If i were to hazard a guess id say my build will ball park round $350.

My biggest hardship is not being able to look and touch every part before i buy it. Im a shed full of crap guy and if it looks like it will fit maybe it just mite work. Im horrible with sizes and correct names so im sure sometimes store owners probably think im speaking Cantonese lol. Anyways ill try my best to publish correct names and prices for those who may see some part or screw they like. :-D

I also want to add, my reasons for building this came from wanting something bigger than my weber. Love the thing but so impractical wanting to cook a pork butt, pork and beef ribs and sausages on one grill. Let alone indirect. I see this uds as having 2x grill plates and room hopefully for a half grill ontop of the top rack. I was given a briskit on friday night from the old man and shock horror its too big for weber lol.

Would really love a gmg or yoder but im not quite ready to spend that much (yet) :)

happy days!

2. OP
    OP
    MB403

MB403 Member

So parts/costing so far include(ill update this as i go):

TOTAL SO FAR: $315-

2x 200L drums - $free
    1x 2nd hand weber off gumtree - $40
    1x Tel-tru BQ300/black 3" Temp gauge - $77
    2x 1/2" BSS hex nuts to fit Tel-Tru NPT Thread - $12 (got ripped off here i think) *bought 1 extra as ive got 2 BQ300 temps
    6x 1"stainless washers - $4
    15x M5 Stainless 50mm Screws(15)/nuts(15)/washers(30) - $10 (to hold grill plates)
    6x 20mm Brass back nuts - $6
    2x 25mm conduit saddles - $1
    2x Brass hex Nipples - $3
    2x Spray paint cans (Rust primer/Metalic chrome) - $11.50
    2x 20mm stainless hyflo ball valve - $93.50
    2x 20mm Brass elbow - $19.50
    2x Brass union comp - $12.50
    2x 800mm copper pipe - $free
    1x 500ml white knight bbq paint black - $25

Parts have been bought from tradelink, bunnings and freebies have been given to me from businesses or friends.

as you can see i think my original estimate of $350 might be an under estimate lol.

Last edited: May 31, 2015
  3. OP
    OP
    MB403

MB403 Member

4. dillusional

dillusional Member

Mate you have spent a tonne on the build! I am doing one now, just burnt it out last weekend. I need a temp gauge and grates, buying a new grate over here absolutely sucks. They want like $50!

Trying to get a weber at that price is hard too, but your build is definitely coming along nicely.

5. OP
    OP
    MB403

MB403 Member

Cheers, im hoping to build 2. Maybe sell one or give to a rely..

I know what u mean anout finding webers for that price, saw nothing for ages and in the last 2 weeks ive picked up another 2 bringing me to 4 all up lol. Shits addictive hey

6. mmBax

mmBax Member

It looks great but definitely spent some coin on it!

Mine only cost me about 100 dollars, and 50 dollars of that was on the grate. I still want to buy another grate and then finalise my charcoal basket but for now it works fine.

7. OP
    OP
    MB403

MB403 Member

The stainless ball valves and the tel-tru have blown mine out. 250 just there alone.

Ive got my weber lid on now, just have to find some steel mesh (which is turing out to be a pain in the ass) to weld onto the charcoal grate and burn out and paint. All the holes drilled now so when i get a free 2 days burn and paint.

8. dillusional

dillusional Member

haha Yeah mate I was surprised you spent that much on the ball valves. Each their own, I'm just trying to get it done on the cheap but look a bit nicer.

I scored a Weber clone last night for $10, but drove 160KM total to get it. All in all it turned out to be a $35 Weber, but I have the lid,grill and a roasting tray as well so I'm pretty stoked.

Are you using spray cans or a gun? I've got guns but not sure what paint to get. I've got a single can of black engine enamel but I don't think it would last the entire drum.

Hmm, just thinking about steel mesh. You might be able to get some from a building site if they have extra after laying the reo for concrete.

9. OP
    OP
    MB403

MB403 Member

Using a gun, 500ml pre mixed white knight pot belly black hi temp paint. Bunnings for $25

2nd uds will only use normal brass ball valves, part of me died when i saw the invoice lol

Last edited: Jun 25, 2015
  10. dillusional

dillusional Member

Nice, I'll head to Bunnings for that paint then.

haha yeah at least it looks damn good though!

11. OP
    OP
    MB403

MB403 Member

Ok, couple of updates but have been slack to upload them.

1. burnt out the drum, who doesn't like fire! it was fun. had all the holes drilled etc before burning out so hopefully that gets rid of any leftover nasties.

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

2. Painted both the drum and weber lid. just applied the 4th coat this morning for the drum so by tomorrow night that will be well and truly ready to add all the fittings back onto it. Now speaking of paint:

i used my trusty gravity fed spray gun running a regulated 26-28PSI painting left to right etc.. instructions on the back of the can cay that the paint is pre-mixed so no need to thin down. paint is touch dry after bout 45mins but can says 16hrs to cure. so mainly been doing a spay before lunch then leaving over night.

paint finish, how do i describe it.. feels and looks like Teflon to touch. i honestly didn't think it needed to be sanded back, although i did. found a wet sand with 2000 grit paper worked better than dry. as of this morning ive just finished the 4th coat, looks awesome too. Onto how much paint i used. i think the can was 500ml and i would say ive maybe used 55%. taking in mind that i have only done 2 coats on the lid. with 2 more to go i would guess that all up ill use about 60%. ive also noticed that once it has fully cured its pretty stubborn stuff to get off. using a wire wheel ill say that it takes more or an effort to remove than regular paint or 2pak for that matter.

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

3. now while the 1st coat of pain was drying i got stuck into making the charcoal baskets. ive made 2 cause ive got 2 drums so i figured ill do 2 or everything. picked up a sheet of perforated mild steel with 10mm round perorations and at first used wire to attach it. (massive pain in the ass btw) then when it was finished got a mate to put a few spot welds on it to further reinforce it. lastly had some mild steel wire laying round so attached to make some basic basket handles. heated with a blow torch and attached and bent into shape.

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

12. mmBax

mmBax Member

They're good looking baskets.

What's everyone doing when it comes time to clearing out the ash? Just flipping upside down?

13. Shepete

Shepete Member

They are nice looking baskets, but what the fuck do you plan on cooking in it? It will cost you $100 to fill the basket with charcoal. It would also run for 2 weeks!:)

As for clearing the ash, I have a "catch tray" on long wire handles under the basket. Mind you, my basket holds about a tenth of the one illustrated. If there is any spillage, yeah, I just turn it upside down.

14. OP
    OP
    MB403

MB403 Member

Lol cheers, when i half filled on one sat that was my same thought..

They are more dual purpose, for grilling and as a basket. Im in the process of bending some inner rings so i dont have to fill the whole basket.

In regards to cleaning yes ill have a ash tray underneath but like old mate said, whetever is left over ill just upend it and give it a clean untill i can come up with something better.

15. OP
    OP
    MB403

MB403 Member

Okie dokie.. quick update before bed lol.

all the fittings re-installed and sealed with silicone. lid has had 3rd coat of paint but still need to re-attach the weber exhaust fit gasket to underlip of the lid and top of drum if needed. still have to cut the heat diffuser out of the bung lid that came with the drum. disassembled the wooden weber lid handle and in the process of staining that a little darker before re-installing.

also thinking about portability.. maybe salvage the 4 weber wheels i have and making a simple cart perhaps. def want to have some side tables attached to the drum itself or maybe apart of the cart. lastly maybe just maybe spray a logo or avatar on the drum somewhere. in white of course.

happy days ahead.

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

16. OP
    OP
    MB403

MB403 Member

17. dillusional

dillusional Member

Nice mate, that looks awesome! Had a nice surprise coming back to this thread and seeing it all nicely done :)