Antarctic Adventure - New Lens?

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by die_piggy, Feb 4, 2018.

1. die_piggy

die_piggy Member

Hi everyone!

So, it's been 11 months since my last thread on Camera Lenses (see https://forums.overclockers.com.au/threads/consumer-lense-lenses-for-travel.1216906/ )

Since then I have traveled to London, Iceland (LOVED IT!!!), Athens (HATED IT!) and South Africa (Incredible).

I have taken 1000's of photos with the camera I bought (Canon EOS-750D), learnt about post processing (still a work in progress), and even finally figured out that Lens isn't spelt Lense!!! (Goid I was dense on that one!)

I have also bought a few lenses to round out my camera. In my camera bag now is:
    • efs 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 is stm (Ultrawide Angle)
    • Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 IF ED UMC Lens (for amature astro photography)
    • Stock 18-55mm
    • Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens (to replace the Stock)
    • Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Lens (Telephoto)
    So onto the main point of this post. To out do last years trip, the wife and I will be going on a 12 day 'cruise' from Punta Arenas (Chile) to the Antarctic Peninsula in January 2019. While hesitant of the original purchase of the camera, my wife is totally sold on the money and "bang for buck" I have achieved so far.

My current plan is to buy a 2nd body for my wife (a similar model, at least a 600D for the foldable LCD) and possibly a longer length telephoto as a lot of photos will be at a distance from the boat

My current thinking is getting a Canon 100-400mm F/4.5-5.6 and possibly an extender (definitely not decided on that one). If I was to get one, considering the extra expense is the mk2 much better than the mk1. I was thinking the weather sealing is important, but then I will have to have a 'raincoat' on the camera all the time (especially on the zodiacs etc) anyway.

My other school of thought would be getting a Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Lens and a 2x extender., however that would be pretty similar in price (actually more expensive) and would be adding complexity for my usecase. is the f/4 a decent option?

I guess the other question is I have spent a fair amount of money on my gear already, am I just throwing money against the wall for the sake of it, or will one of the above options really be beneficial on the trip? I don't mind spending money, but I feel I need to be able to justify it to myself and wife. Having said that, I am itching for some L quality lenses :)

TLDR: Is an upgrade from a Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM to a Canon 100-400mm F/4.5-5.6 (mk1 or 2) a decent bang for buck improvement considering my trip. (keeping in mind I am still definantly an amature.

2. Derfman

Derfman Member

First of all Congrats on locking in the 7th continent.

For background is this entire trip, or are you travelling in South America as well?

Also a link to your itinerary and vessel would be great!

Another body or two would, IMHO be essential, as the extreme cold, seaspray and changes in temperature can kill cameras very easily.

Most of the L series lenses are weather sealed, and more suited to this kind of environment, likewise the more expensive bodies.

If you are only travelling briefly renting higher end equipment may be a better option?

3. OP
    OP
    die_piggy

die_piggy Member

so, we have only booked the trip so far, I have 3 weeks off so I am sure we will do something else while dover. We have been to Machu Picchu and trekked the Inca Trail a couple of years ago, might spend some more time in Peru.

This is the trip we are doing, its costing $10500USD each. Trying to do it on the "cheap" compared to some of the options. The best part about this ship is we fly into King George Island so we only have to cross the Drake Passage on the way back.

Its a small ship with a max of 54 passengers, so should be a decent experience.

http://backtrackantarctica.com.au/package/spirit-of-antarctica/

From what I have looked at, it shouldn't actually be THAT cold in Antarctica, comparable with Iceland which did not have any issues for my camera.

Now back to the Lens Choice. From what I can see, the mk1 100-400 isnt actually fully weather sealed. I am planning for a neoprene wrap, and some "camera poncho" type coverings for our cameras, think that will be good enough? of cause we will have dry bags for the zodiacs when needed

And yeah, part of the reason I want to get a camera for the wife is so I have a backup body for myself :p

4. Dark Orange

Dark Orange Member

Probably. But you say that like it's a bad thing.

The 100-400 and 70-200 2.8 are twice the weight of the 70-300, which is something I'd be considering when travelling but are otherwise good choices, you *will* notice the improvement in quality.

As for a second body, I'd recommend a second hand 5D-II or III. These are solid weather sealed units that can be picked up relatively cheaply, and the full-frame will be a good compliment to your 750D. However, I'd recommend keeping the 70-300 (or buying a 24-70), as the EFS lenses can't be used on it.

5. OP
    OP
    die_piggy

die_piggy Member

Buying a full frame camera right now would put me back at square 1 accessory wise which wouldn't be ok with the wife, plus seeing as I probably need as much distance as possible from a telephoto lens, Im not sure a 5d would be a great choice.

6. Zee

Zee Member

when I still shot Canon, I had the 100-400 - I loved that lens, and would often leave it on my camera for weeks on end. It may not be the sharpest tool int he shed, but it ain't bad (well and truly a step up from the 70-300), the IS is useful, but the push-pull zoom is what I really liked, it just worked so well for getting the right framing on my subject.

Anyway, if I went back to Canon, I'd certainly pick up another one.

Z...

7. OP
    OP
    die_piggy

die_piggy Member

hey Zee, while doing some research on that lens I found posts by you saying you weren't sold on the push pull, I take it you changed that opinion?

Did you find it was a fast enough lens on the longer lengths? only asking because the 70-200 2.8L with a 2x extender would lead to 4.0 at the longest point (of cause with a higher cost, unless I have missed something)

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
  8. Dark Orange

Dark Orange Member

Your 14mm, 70-300 and 100-400 will work with it. If you want zoom, use the cropped sensor. Want beautiful wide angles and narrow depth of field, use the 5D. They're cheap, robust, and you could buy a second hand one for the price of a new 600D.

You are pretty well set up for taking a photo of "that thing over there" which I suppose is useful for cruises, but if you end up wanting to take photos of "all of that", then full frame is where it's at. Personally, I'd be gearing toward replacing the EF-S lenses with EF to make the eventual transition as painless as possible.

9. Derfman

Derfman Member

Seem to me the best approach would be to ask to meet people that have of this equipment and try it out?

Where are you based?

10. OP
    OP
    die_piggy

die_piggy Member

Western Sydney, Liverpool area

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
  11. Dark Orange

Dark Orange Member

+1. Find a local facebook photography page and get the ball rolling.

12. Derfman

Derfman Member

Well then, I can probably help you to try out *most* options; lets figure out a time and place, maybe the Ice skating rink @ Liverpool?

13. OP
    OP
    die_piggy

die_piggy Member

Mate, I honestly appreciate that offer, and would love to take you up on it. I will contact you via pm over the next day or so once I work out my schedule.

14. RyoSaeba

RyoSaeba Member

One thing you may want to consider is do some more research on below freezing weather photography. While I was in Hokkaido a few years back I had some issue during one particularly cold night going from the cold weather into chapel made of ice, my lens/body had fair bit of problem with condensation from the temperature change. Couldn't take a decent pic in there. Apparently some people overcome this by keeping the body running with live view to keep it warm. Not sure if this would be helpful though but hopefully you won't have the same issue. :)

15. Scootre

Scootre Member

The 100-400 is an incredibly good lens from the reviews I read and the pics I've seen. I have the 70-200mm f2.8L II and also the 400 f5.6L. They are amongst the sharpest lenses I have, out of the six L series in my kit right now.

From what I've read, the 400 f5.6L is a little sharper than the 100-400mm, considering the former is a prime lens, and the 100-400 is "pretty good on a 1.4x converter.

So, for my money, I'd get the 400 5.6L prime, the 1.4X and the 70-200. That one in the f2.8 or, if weight is a concern, the f4. The 70-200 is amazing on the 1.4x also.

I'm soon to spring for the 500mm f4L II but I'm probably going to keep my 400/5.6 because it is crazy sharp and weights nothing. And they are really well priced too.

Just my 2c. Good luck with whatever you get.

16. Scootre

Scootre Member

When in cold climates, put the camera and lenses each in zip lock bags, along with silica gel. Let them come up or down to temp in the new environment, then open the bag and gradually let the air in.

I live in Sydney and on those 40+ days, I use the zip lock bag treatment on all my gear when going back into my car with 21C air con - or from a warm car out into a cold 3C night. If I don't, I'm asking for condensation on lenses and cmos sensors.

And keep all your batteries in your pockets to stay warm from body heat.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
    Derfman and RyoSaeba like this.
  17. RyoSaeba

RyoSaeba Member

I'll try that next time I'm in cold weather. :thumbup:

18. Derfman

Derfman Member

Not a bad idea at all, but id suggest comparing the new Tamron and Sigma 150-600mm lens - i had a mk1 100-400 and can confirm these lenses are superior, especially @ 401mm -600mm

500mm f4 is next level and great, personally in trying to get a 400mm 2.8 IS

:)

19. Scootre

Scootre Member

Hard decision, I'm torn between the 500/4, the 400/2.8 and the 200-400/1.4x. I'm leaning towards the 500 only because it's considerably lighter than the others.

20. OP
    OP
    die_piggy

die_piggy Member

Sorry if i have been absent, I am getting flogged by work this week, plus I am putting off any decisions until iIfind out if I have won the high shutter count 5d in the for sale section

I am reading this thread with great interest every chance I get :)