Antarctic Adventure - New Lens?

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by die_piggy, Feb 4, 2018.

1. OP
    OP
    die_piggy

die_piggy Member

Ok, so I picked up a 5Dmkii for $400, guess I need some glass for that now too :p

Everyone in here was mentioning the full frame for landscapes, what sort of lens should I be looking at? I notice the efs lenses in general go wider, I assume that is to combat the apparent zoom of the crop sensor?

Ie, you don't need to go as wide?

And if I anyone sees a 24-105L at a reasonable price... Hit me up!

2. Dark Orange

Dark Orange Member

Congrats on the smart move. ;)
    EFS lenses won't fit your 5D-II, but the 14mm should look pretty sweet on it.

3. Scootre

Scootre Member

Nice buy mate. Great price.

The Canon 16-35mm f4 would be a good choice for landscapes. Nice and sharp, especially stopped down 1-2 stops.

4. SyN

SyN Member

whichever path you choose, remember to take plenty of spare batteries
    the cold will zap your battery life

5. OP
    OP
    die_piggy

die_piggy Member

Hey syn, just ordered 4 batteries for the 5d, so I'll have 5 for each camera. Also have some hand warmers to keep them warm in my pocket.

Dark Orange the 14mm is a manual lens, not really confident in using it for quicker shots. Definitely need to get something. What would you guys think about a wide prime? Still trying to keep the cost down where I can

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
  6. BRGMCS

BRGMCS Member

100-400 ii is MUCH better than the I version.
    70-200 2.8 II is... OK, but the focus is VERY slow.
    I have both, they’re very different use cases.

7. xsilver

xsilver Member

Unless you go bird/animal watching or motorsport/air show often - maybe the 100-400 will only be a single use purchase?
    something to think about
    Also having never been on one of these cruises - im not sure if there is the off chance that you can borrow a lens for a few shots if thats acceptable to you. You're shooting canon so you're already at the highest chances.
    Otherwise another thing you could do is buy the 100-400 knowing that you're going to sell it when you get back. the cost difference being the "rental" fee.

its not difficult to focus on the 14mm even for quick shots - have you practised with it much? if you shoot f8 you pretty much dont need to focus at all. Wide open you only need to focus if the subject is under 2m from you.

As a primes guy - if anything you're missing a prime lens. Otherwise you dont have anything below f2.8
    look back at the photos you've previously taken to see what you favourite focal length is - buying a prime at that focal length isnt a bad idea.
    Usual suspects are 24 / 35 / 50 / 85 / 135

8. OP
    OP
    die_piggy

die_piggy Member

Yeah I'm kind of thinking if I don't get much use ofothe 100-400 I can resell.

I'll start playing with the 14mm, thanks for giving me some confidence. Manual just has me freaked out. I have only used it for taking photos of the night sky so far.

9. Kafoopsy

Kafoopsy Member

I took four batteries with me to Finland when I went to see the northern lights. The temp outside was -32 C and I was out in it for several hours. I can't recall any reduction in battery life on my 700D. Camera was covered in ice crystals and the screen was noticeably slower to change image, but other than that, it worked flawlessly at -32. I was impressed, as some of the cameras of other people in the group either went flat very quickly or just stopped working at all.

10. Digit

Digit Member

Slightly off topic (sorry) but did you have any issues with glass cracking if you're out in that temperature? Like when you get back to the car. Or did you find the lens fogged up while you were out in that cold?

11. OP
    OP
    die_piggy

die_piggy Member

Everything I have read so far suggests that the temperature won't get below -10

Keep in mind, the time of year corresponds to summer with almost 24 hours of light, and if we get bad weather we most likely won't be able to make landfall so won't be exposed to extremely cold weather for long periods of time. I just feel like cold won't be a huge problem.

12. Derfman

Derfman Member

Congrats on the 5dii purchase, have you come up with a list or wishlist of lenses?

13. OP
    OP
    die_piggy

die_piggy Member

Yeah mate, I am looking at the 100-400, most likely the mk1 (I can't justify double the price of the mkii) and a 24-70 2.8mm Canon, or possibly the Tamron SP 24-70mm F/2.8 Di VC USD if I can't find a 24-70 at a good price

Than possibly a Wide Angle like the Canon 16-35mm f4 mentioned a few posts above, depending on how I go with my 14mm Rokinon.

I think I will leave the Primes for another day at the moment.

Also looking at a bigger bag for my gear, like the LowPro Pro Roller X200aw + a fully waterproof duffle like the Patagonia 45L Duffel (for 2x camera+fitted lens while on a Zodiac) as well as a gopro for Zodiac/underwater movies/Shots.

I still intend to take you up on your generous offer of testing out some of your lenses, just waiting for a few accessories for the 5D to turn up (new glass for the LCD, a CF card and extra batteries). Ill probably hit you up around March (if thats OK with you) once I have had some practice with the 5D as I am still finding where all the settings are.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
  14. Derfman

Derfman Member

Fine with me, talk soon.