Antec Kuhler 650V2 "review"

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Hardware' started by Unframed, Feb 6, 2015.

1. Unframed

Unframed Member

I had a fantastic Corsair H80, never missed a beat. Ran flawlessly at low temps. Unfortunately it gave out, the pump failed and my system was overheating. I moved quickly back to stock Intel which runs my CPU around 60 under load. Not great, not awful.

I decided I wanted to move to watercooling (kit) again. I went into DComp because I have no patience when it comes to new purchases and didn't want to wait 3 days for my distributor.

I ended up leaving with the Antec Kuhler H20 650v2 which looked similar to my H80 but lets me know via a light how hot things are getting, sounds great.

I take out my Intel cooler, clean off all the thermal paste (on CPU and both coolers) and re-apply some MX-5. I start mounting the backplate and encounter my first issue, it easily falls out if you don't have your hand on it. After nearly 2 hours of struggling and getting a second hand from the missus I've got the cooler on, oddly though the backplate sits on an angle with all 115x pins set. Either way, its on. The downside is the backplate is too wide on the bottom right for the CPU cutout on my Node 804. Odd, I think. Oh well, I'll see how temps hold up, should be enough tension.

Temps were OK, maybe 3 degrees lower than stock Intel. Fan was loud as all hell and huge (good luck finding room in a MATX case). I plan that on my day off (today) I'd use the spare backplate given with the cooler to cut with my dremel to fit. So I do all my cuts, looks great now. I go to remove first backplate and one of the pins has pulled the metal thread through the backplate without any excessive force. Oh well, easy enough. I'll change that. So I proceed with swapping backplates. The modified one fits like a dream and mounts easily enough. I test my system and under 50% load it's hitting 70+ degrees. That's absurd so I decided to check my paste, mounts and fan connections. As I start undoing the mount screws I notice one is spinning freely. I'll come back to that. So I go around removing the other screws and only 2 come out. Odd, I check the mounting plate at the back and the metal thread in the plastic backplate is free spinning. Fan-freaking-tastic.
    After about 40 minutes of delicate work I managed to free the screws, which required more force than I'd ever want to exert on a motherboard.

I proceeded to throw the Kuhler in the bin. Hands down the worst cooler I have EVER owned.

TL;DR Antec Kuhler is loud, awkwardly large for a 120mm cooler, poorly made and a horrible performer. Would rather a stock cooler and a swift kick in the crotch then to ever touch one of those horrid things.

Before anyone asks: I never used excessive force when screwing in the mounts, the cuts I made had no effect on the backplate's integrity and I followed the instructions to the letter both times.

Plastic backplates with metal thread are a horrible idea.

[​IMG]

2. the3coopers

the3coopers Member

Quick: You better change your forum signature :lol:

[​IMG]

:p

3. mad_mic3

mad_mic3 Member

Hey Unframed, if you send it to me, i could probly make a bracket or the likes to get it working;)

4. shane41

shane41 Member

$1 for the garbage bag. :D

Can't be all that bad. Your just having a shit day.
    Then a series of errors.

5. OP
    OP
    Unframed

Unframed Member

It isn't a bad day haha. This has been done over 3 days. Sorry the rubbish will be gone before I have a chance to get it out.

Signature change inbound.

6. shane41

shane41 Member

Just grab a more solid back plate off something else.
    Some long m3 screws

Have a bloody beer & chill out, give it another go tomorrow :D

7. headin2001

headin2001 Member

100% agree with you on these.

I recently built a new CAD machine, and had to compromise on the cooler to bring the price down a bit(bosses order). So, first change was the cooler from a h100i to an Antc 950. Worst move ever.

It's got the noisiest fans I've ever heard, seriously. The sunon 38mm fans that were in my phase change running @3000rpm have nothingon this. Add to it the worst mount setup ever, and that after 1 month of running 8hours a day, the pump now gets to a 4hour mark and starts getting noisy. Shut down and turn it back on to fix it.

Also, with my own testing, it is only 4 degrees cooler on load than the coolermaster 212x I have. So not worth the money.

If I had a choice now, is rather run the chip on thermal throttle with the standard cooler than keep it in the system.

8. AMD2400

AMD2400 Member

Wow, manufacturers are sure making a habit with these plastic mounting plates.

You should see the Alphacool Eisberg mounting nuts, no plastic with metal thread action here, just pure plastic. :lol:

But at least the Alphacool is a decent performer.

9. OP
    OP
    Unframed

Unframed Member

Hahaha funny you say that. I was looking for an Alphacool when I got the Antec.

I've gone Air again now, been 3+ years since I last had an air cooler.

10. dreamcaster

dreamcaster Member

Funny this should come up, I've just had the pump on my Kuhler 920 let go. I was happy with it for the last 18 months or so. Back to the stock Intel cooler for now, will be looking for something better next time as I was expecting a longer life from it.