Antec P182 vs Antec 900 - The Results

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Hardware' started by Shinanigans, May 18, 2008.

1. Shinanigans

Shinanigans Member

First off, i'd just like to say i love this P182. It's the ducks guts!

I've owned an series 1 Antec Nine Hundred for about a year now and it's served me very well. I only air cool, so i bought it with some high performance, overclocked, air cooled hardware in mind. I'm since over that and want a nice clean case without 6 jigawatts of LED's luminating my room and a bit of peace and quiet from the howling monster would be nice :leet: But let me say, i still love the Nine Hundred and it's howling jigawatts... just need a break from it.

So i bought myself a new P182!

[​IMG]

Now the big question is, how much better is the 900 at cooling, compared to the P182? Before i get onto the results i'll just share some specs...

Antec Nine Hundred:
    1x 200mm fan (low) above CPU
    1x120mm fan (low) behind CPU
    2x120mm fan (low) infront of HDD's

Antec P182:
    1x120mm fan (low) above CPU
    1x120mm fan (low) behind CPU
    1x120mm fan (low) front, middle of case

A quick shot from the install to get an idea on how it's laid out:
    [​IMG]

Yeah, new board! EP35-DS3P... fkn love it :thumbup: So the HDD's down below, and the PSU have no fan dedicated to them, yet, and you'll see why i say "yet". Both cases are completely assembled with side panels intact and ambient temperature remained the same.

Idle Temp
    So, how do we go with idle temps?

[​IMG]
    Antec 900
    GPU: 45c
    CPU: 37/36/35/39c
    HDD: 33c

[​IMG]
    Antec P182
    GPU: 45c
    CPU: 38/36/37/40c
    HDD: 42c

Not too bad! As you can see, the HDD is roasting compared to before, but it's well within it's operational temperature... and no, they don't get any hotter, i tried making it get hotter :p

GPU Temps
    Hokay, so what about the GPU loaded? Want to know what difference we're up against when gaming!

[​IMG]
    Antec 900
    5 minutes in Uniengine
    GPU Load: 61c

[​IMG]
    Antec P182
    5 minutes in Uniengine
    GPU Load: 63c

CPU Loaded
    Lastly, we need to ask what the CPU thinks about this new home. I ran Prime95 with the Tuniq fan on it's lowest setting for the first 2 tests then recorded the temp. As soon as the 3rd test was underway, i upped the Tuniq's fan to 100%. Once the 5th test had started i took the temp readings again. So, idle fan for 2 tests, and full fan for next 2 tests.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Antec 900
    CPU Load - Low Fan: 63/62/62/62
    CPU Load - High Fan: 59/58/58/58

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Antec P182
    CPU Load - Low Fan: 63/62/62/62
    CPU Load - High Fan: 58/57/57/57

Well whattya know! The CPU load temps are pretty bang on identical!

Well it's been fun, but time 4 sleeps!

Cheers!

2. DiGiTaL MoNkEY

DiGiTaL MoNkEY Inverted Monkey

Shinanigans, very nice work :D Makes me think the P182 is a good choice. Considering the Antec Nine Hundred is meant to be a more ventilated case, i’m impressed to see the similarities.

With the hard drives...where have you got it mounted? in the lower chamber? with a fan in the middle?

Last edited: May 18, 2008
  3. Smakked

Smakked Member

Good work Shinanigans :thumbup:

Pretty much even except for the hdd but that was to be expected as the 900 has better airflow across them.

4. Flux

Flux Member

Nice little review, It's really interesting to see how similar they are.

5. AussieTemplar

AussieTemplar Member

Speaking of Pxxx, those P180 Mini's are a really awesome case.. Pitty they're mATX.

Nice comparasin :thumbup:

6. Onyx

Onyx Member

Thanks for taking the time to do the back to back comparison. I'm surprised at the size diffs, I would have thought the 900 would be larger - it just seems that way from most of the product shots I've seen, and the fact they market it as a gamer's case (which usually means oversized, for owners to overcompensate...)

Inspite of the age of the P180/P182 design, it seems they're still sufficient for air cooling modern day quads. Although I'd like to see how they fare with more heat producing GPUs - eg. 2x 8800GTX's, as it doesn't have side intake fans.

7. AussieTemplar

AussieTemplar Member

They can't fit full length video cards ;) You have to remove the HDD cage which is probably the only drawback.

8. DiGiTaL MoNkEY

It needs one of those Antec "Bad Boy" fans on the top instead of the 12cm one :D but the main issue with the P182 is the single intake fan..sure it gets air from the holes between the PCI slots, but i dont think its enough :(

If only they made the Antec Twelve Hundred without a window!!

9. OP
    OP
    Shinanigans

Shinanigans Member

I'm gunna head down to the shop to see if i can pick up another Tri-Cool today for the lower chamber. Will let ya's know how it goes once it's in. :thumbup:

10. DiGiTaL MoNkEY

So you didnt use a fan in the lower chamber, just the PSU sucking what air it could...

Where did you put that fan that was down in the lower chamber? up in the top one?

11. OP
    OP
    Shinanigans

Shinanigans Member

Yeah, fan in the middle chamber with the caddy removed for the time being. So i'm gunna grab another 120mm for the bottom chamber for the poor PSU and drives. I thought cooling the RAM/CPU/GPU was more important than the other two :weirdo:

12. DiGiTaL MoNkEY

Temps are reasonable for the hard drives, but the only air flow increases they get is when the PSU starts spinning the fan up during load.

13. TheLobb

TheLobb (Banned or Deleted)

You cannot fit a fan in the section infront of the lower HDD bays. unless its a very slim fan. a standard 120mm will not fit.

Using a 110cfm slipstream fan on my front intake lowers my temps alot. also what you can do for more air, is to get only 1 5.25" drive. and use the rest to fit a 120mm fan for a second intake.

thats what im going to do once i get a combo drive.

(Have a P182+Q660)

The benifits of the P182 is that you can use faster spinning fans, and you cant hear them becasue of the cases epic noise deading panels.

EG i can have my GPU on 100% fan and its not an annoying sound. its more of a deep wind rushing sound. instead of a squeal or something high pitched.

(8800GTS)

14. DiGiTaL MoNkEY

From what i understand he's not using a fan in the bottom chamber atm, he used the 120mm fan for the top section...so now he's going to get another to put where the one in the bottom chamber was.

15. TheLobb

TheLobb (Banned or Deleted)

Oh right, my mistake. oh well, its good to know anyway.

16. DiGiTaL MoNkEY

I'm not 100% sure, as his last post isn't worded that well... *shrugs*

17. OP
    OP
    Shinanigans

Shinanigans Member

Had a fan in the middle section... :Paranoid:
    Sif that's hard to understand newb! :p

TheLobb, i found out what you said the hard way... bit fkn pissed off at the idiocy of this :mad:

When you open up the front panel of the P182 there's two very distinct fan grills. One in the middle and one down the bottom. When you look inside the P182, you can see down in the bottom section there is a little cave for a fan to sit inside. Clearly it's for a 120mm by the size of it.

Which MORON at Antec decided they wouldn't make it deep enough to fit a 25mm thick (industry standard for 120mm and most 80mm fans) fan in!?!?! You can't fit a friggen Antec 120mm fan inside an Antec case...

Here's how the case was setup:
    [​IMG]

Here's how i've got it now, temporarily of course:
    [​IMG]

^ see that little cave that the fan is leaning up against? Yeah, it won't fit in there :rolleyes: There's no way to pull the surround out and i don't think you'd be able to gain access from the front with the metal grille there. Idiots.

Once i get the HX-620, i should be able to fit it and hopefully the 120mm fan up next to the PSU. You can see where i mean by looking at the top picture and where the red SATA cable is poking out down the bottom. Where the fan originally is (but can't fit it with the deep Silverstone PSU as well.

18. OP
    OP
    Shinanigans

Shinanigans Member

To add salt to the wound:

http://www.antec.com/us/productDetails.php?ProdID=81820

1 Rear, yep that's fine.
    1 Top, yep that's fine.

1 Lower chamber 120mm tricool, that's the one that's included and is the one that's next to the PSU in the middle of the lower chamber. Yep, that's fine.

1 Middle 120mm fan to cool the VGA. So yep, this is where i moved the 120mm to first off. No probs there.

Oh what's this? One more? A FRONT 120MM FAN... wonder where that's supposed to fit?

-_-

19. DiGiTaL MoNkEY

ehehe sif newb.. :lol:

Yah it a common issue, plus not many companies make those slim fans.

It gets a bit tight in that lower chamber when you fill it up with hard drives. How are the temps of the hard drives once you've put them up the top?

20. OP
    OP
    Shinanigans

Shinanigans Member

Temp of the HDD's gone from 42 to 35. But ambient isn't the same (haven't had the air on). If anything it's colder in here than it was last night so i don't think the jump is quite as big as is being shown.

GPU seems to be around the same temp, but again, it's colder tonight. CPU is sitting at 33/32/31/36 so it's not too fussed.

Just annoyed because it's completely buggered up my plans and gunna have to re-cable the bloody thing.. but i suppose i was gunna have to do that when i do the PSU swap anyway. I guess i'm really annoyed because i found a flaw in the perfect case :<