1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Antec Super Lanboy restoration Project

Discussion in 'Modding Worklogs' started by Stagea, May 16, 2010.

1. Stagea

Stagea (Banned or Deleted)

Bit nervous posting in here when compared to what comes out of it but here goes...

Stagea's "Operation Puberty"

Objective: To make the silver Antec Super Lanboy more grown up!

I bought this case from Spark64 - the front cover that came with the original was missing and after pondering "what if..." to change and make it more suitable I had already started tearing the bloody thing apart.

Since investigating what options and after a few planning hours, as of this evening this is where I am at:

Progress:

16/05/10
    - Stripped case down so far only Robbie Williams from his music video 'Rock DJ' is more naked. Cleaned everything but the bulk of the case itself.

Click to view full size!

- Removed Arcylic from side panel in preparation.

Click to view full size!

- Matte Black! (Fresh Coat so it looks very glossy)

Click to view full size!

Applied a second coat. I think some of the scratches just won't go without a fight - so maybe another coat tomorrow but no promises just yet.

- Removed all Hard Drive bay holders and prepared the chrome parts with masking tape. I've decided the black/silver will look very good with the intentions this will be going. Have also decided to get the small bits done first - so PCI Bracket holder is being done in conjunction with these.

Click to view full size!

- Evening settled in and camera on an iphone is substandard - so tomorrow I'm getting my old faithful olympus out for some real snaps!
    Nonetheless - one side of the Hard Drive bay holders and one side of the PCI bracket holder done!

Click to view full size!

Comparison from original colour to matte black. I love it! :thumbup:

Click to view full size!

Tomorrow:
    - Pop Rivet Surgery begins! Will be drilling apart the case to begin the rest.
    - Removable mobo tray - a possibility???
    - Buying a few bits and pieces to receive later in the week.

Current Issues:
    - Acrylic Panel is very scratchy from expected years of use - weighing up what to do about this.

- Front 120mm fan needs something to cover it - Ideas?

Last edited: May 16, 2010
  2. ascl

ascl Member

Grab some mesh from somewhere (gammods has it), and use that as a fan grill? Or buy a dedicate fan/rad grill (pccg or gammods etc).

Nice work so far! Can't wait to see more :)

3. OP
    OP
    Stagea

Hmmm.... this gives me a few good ideas to replace the acrylic panel but will be doing a few test runs alternatively first :thumbup:
    I'll be back after work to see what I can add.

4. BlueScorpion

BlueScorpion Member

Very interesting, I got the same case ... Umm!! I want to mod it too.. maybe later.:thumbup:

5. OP
    OP
    Stagea

Bloody hell what a day...

Haven't touched much today due to drill bit being snapped before it even got into the drill! :mad:

Not to worry, will continue tomorrow with another.

PROGRESS:
    Second Coat top and bottom has been done - still iphone pics as Olympus was still charging merrily. Even the strong sunlight couldn't get these to shine!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

I've also ran two different sized rivets and am now confident in drilling and removing the old rivets to replace with the correct size so I don't bend the pieces when they pop back on.
    After looking through the OCAU sponsor specials I have ordered the following: (for now) :

LCD Temperature Sensor - Blue
    http://www.gammods.com.au/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=7_164&products_id=838

Perspex - Fluro-Neptune Blue 3mm (500mm x 500mm)
    http://www.gammods.com.au/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=7_19_55&products_id=229

More to come when I don't break things - :thumbup:

Also - I have organised some more bits by my good friend who I shall name "Handyman Sean".

He has organised me a large assortment of Pop rivets, a drill bit I won't screw up, a bansaw for acrylic cutting and some silicone.

I'll leave it to your imaginations to add any other options. :D
    I'm very open to ideas and take constructive criticism without offence so don't hesitate.

I'm also ordering more parts later in the week. :p

Last edited: May 17, 2010
  6. ascl

ascl Member

I've got a few of those temp sensors... they work fine, and fit neatly into a 3.5" drive bay (I had 2 in a 3.5" hole in a 5.25" drive bay cover, if that makes sense).

7. OP
    OP
    Stagea

This is my first case mod - I've scoured the limitless advice here and have tested a few ideas on some "Test Subject" Cases.

I'd recommend starting with some trialing on a crappy case if you're not too comfortable having a crack at your most beloved case. :)

Sounds great! :)

could you do me a favour? Gammods doesn't mention the size dimensions (Length and height) of the LCD Panel - I have two different ideas for it but would like to settle on one.

Could you check this out on your ones? :)

Last edited: May 17, 2010
  8. ascl

ascl Member

Yep no probs, will take some pictures later.

9. ascl

ascl Member

Ok, hopefully these are clear enough and tell you what you need to know. If not, let me know and I'll try and answer any questions:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. OP
    OP
    Stagea

Great pictures - almost 1:1 ratio when measuring on my 17" CRT. That gives me a much better perception - thanks very much! :thumbup:

I'll be back in about 20 minutes to post progress of today.

11. OP
    OP
    Stagea

I was a bit ill when I first stuck a drill to a case but have been generally practicing at work and developed a good knack at it.

Brought out the Agg Aeg Drill (And my old faithful olympus) and was away.

Click to view full size!

PROGRESS:

Click to view full size!

- Removed HDD Bays, 3.5" Bays and 5.25" Bays (in this order) by drilling through pop rivets. The majority of rivets came out without incident - had to use a slightly thicker drill bit to get a couple as some stuck in.

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Unfortunately not much progress today because I was a bit pushed for time - with work and picking up items here and there my progress is hindered until the weekend. :( I wish I could get more done! :mad::mad::mad::mad:

TOMORROW:
    - Provided I have the time, the weather stays nice and I have enough matte black paint, Will begin on the first coats on the hard drive bays.
    - Silicone idea fell through but that was just due to some good advice, going out tomorrow to chase up some car putty and some good wet rub sandpaper.
    - The HDD holders that are already matte black still need to cure, so out in the sun they go tomorrow to help the paint stick properly.

Additional comments:
    For anyone drilling pop rivets - if using an electric drill pointing straight into the rivet hole works best to dig in, then while still drilling, move in a circular motion. It not only gets the rivet out cleanly, but stops you from drilling straight through parts you didnt want to drill into. (Say for example, the case side, or your hand) :Paranoid:
    Thank you to ascl for those dimensions - I know have an idea set into concrete for proper planning.

Issues:
    - Time and money! Nothing anybody can help with but myself :lol: :thumbdn:
    - I've never played with car putty properly before - but might organise a rubbish case to test on first.

12. ascl

ascl Member

No probs! I know how frustrating it can be when you don't have proper dimensions :)

13. Spark64

Spark64 Member

I've still got the front fan cover and the bay door lying around somewhere if you want to pick them up.

I will be interested in seeing how the case turns out when you're done.

14. OP
    OP
    Stagea

Sending a PM shortly.

Update coming for mod in next 60 minutes. :thumbup:

15. OP
    OP
    Stagea

*Phew* Busy day.

First off,
    Apologies for not posting anything sooner. It has been an interesting week.

Okay straight off from last update,
    Am still waiting for the bits from Gammods - the Thermometer was a pre-order :p

So the majority of this morning consisted of polishing and preparing all bits (which wasn't necessary on the HDD holders but these parts did.)

Polished down with white vinegar & water, then windex. Allowed to dry and I was off!
    Before:

Click to view full size!

Before: (with flash)

Click to view full size!

First Coat on Motherboard Tray:

Click to view full size!

Hard Drive Bay - Outer coat number 1:

Click to view full size!

5.25" Bay First Top Coat:

Click to view full size!

Second Coat on Mobo Tray with the other bits as listed above (note first coat on 3.25"/floppy bay)

Click to view full size!

I've been trying to cure the paint as much as I can in the sun without getting anything on them to compromise the current work. Recommended time in my opinion is at least 3 days.

At the moment I'm giving the remainder of the case a good polish with the vinegar solution (3/4 Water 1/4 Vinegar) and windexing. I'm still very reluctant to remove the rivets on the remaining four sides still together so I might just keep it together - it will also help down the track for what I have planned.

Also, I have an additional little surprise I've been saving.
    This is a stripped down 7 port usb 2.0 hub.

Click to view full size!

Originally limited to a power pack and a usb port - it has now been converted!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Now converted to plug in with a 4 pin molex (5v Rail) and a USB Mobo Jumper:

Click to view full size!

So far has been tested with no problems - Have also organised to make these cables "Tidy" - I will leave this to your imagination for now ;)

At the moment I am currently working with some car putty on a torture case - just a generic boring one to prepare. I used it to make sure I was confident with the pop rivets - now it is being used for some good practise with putty.

TOMORROW:
    - Need to organise more matte black - All run out. :(
    - Organise some sanding and files to shape the 3.25" Cover.

Still a fair way to go :cool:

Last edited: May 23, 2010
  16. cesario

cesario Member

well, i am actually very interested to see how this all goes,
    the super lan boy has to be one of the most awesome cases iv seen in years, so do it proud and make it shine :cool:
    i'll be watching ;)

17. Spark64

Spark64 Member

I'll try and remember to bring the front grill and door to Reloaded. Leave a PM to me on here with your location and i'll bring them over when I get it.

Any more progress on this project? It's looking good so far.

18. Spark64

Spark64 Member

If I hadn't needed the extra drive space available in the PC-60 I wouldn't have sold it for twice what i did get for it.

19. Orphan

Orphan Member

Super lan boy is/was the best mid case for many years, great design and built well and damn cheap. Too bad was don't have many cases that iconic these days. My current pc is still in my super lan boy from what like 2002 haha. Will keep an eye on your project though I am going to replace mine with a full case for the next build :(

Last edited: Jun 28, 2010
  20. Haxman

Haxman Member

The super lanboy was horrible the original lanboy was much better imo.