Anthem

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by ni9ht_5ta1k3r, Jun 12, 2017.

1. Tazor

Tazor Member

I am hearing so many mixed things so far.
    Some people hate it, some people love it.

From what I can see though, is that people who enjoyed the 'demo' are enjoying the full game.
    So if you had fun then, it might be worth your time, if you didn't enjoy it, maybe give it a miss or let it mature for a while.

I think I enjoy the core gameplay enough that I don't mind grinding, I literally spent hours just flying around and killing shit that didn't really have any particular benefit other than the fun of it, and there was a lot of that for me.
    Also I got the game for free, so literally no skin off my nose xD

2. bart5986

bart5986 Member

The real test is to wait a month and see if those people who loved it still like it, or are even playing it.

Don't forget that some people loved fallout 76, no mans sky, star wars battlefront 2, sim city etc.

Sometimes it takes time to see a game for what it is.

I don't mind if people enjoy it, but I do want to see an example being made out of this game simply so we hopefully get something better next time.

3. Tazor

Tazor Member

Yeah I agree, it's pretty sad it's almost becoming a trend for games to have a diabolical launch only to push the devs into fixing it.
    Ubisoft almost always releases a botched game only to turn it into something awesome down the line (Think Siege, For Honor and Division 1)

4. sTeeLzor

sTeeLzor Member

So as one of the few in this thread to have actually played the game and a significant portion of it.

• Its a good game. Its not great and not poor. 7/10 is a fair assessment.
    • It runs a fair bit better than the demo/beta did. It feels less glitchy overall.
    • In about 10 hours of play, I have had 2 x CTDs and 2 x Mission unable to continue.
    • I did not care about the story and skipped as much as possible. But thats just me. There appears to be a story but I just wanted to play. There is some silly little dialogue system which doesnt appear to matter.
    • Gameplay is quite fun. The best aspect of the game is the flying and combos and working together in a squad. I really enjoy the combat.
    • Loot leaves a fair bit to be desired. I dont feel like I progress much (Level 20 already)
    • Fort Tarsis is just as boring. If I could skip that whole thing I would be much happier.
    • I feel like content is going to run out real quick and ill be expected to just do the GrandMaster difficulty to try and drag it out. Needs more missions. Mission variety isnt a problem. Not sure what people expect. I had one incredibly minor puzzle to solve.
    • Id like to see more variability in abilities for the Javelins.
    • Javelin customizability is quite possibly the sexiest customiser I have ever seen.

Drizz06 and xcessive303 like this.
  5. bart5986

bart5986 Member

Seems high given your own review on the game.

If you remove Fort Tarsis, loot and story, there is only combat like you mention.

Don't you find doing fetch quests and fighting waves of monsters over and over extremely repetitive?

Honestly it feels like the game is half done, the E3 demo makes it look like a lot more was planned (even Fort Tarsis) and that things would progress past a fetch quest and what is essentially a wave shooter after you collect those things.

6. sTeeLzor

sTeeLzor Member

Its not a bad game. I have fun while playing it. Its a looter game. If you dont expect to fight waves of monsters in a looter game, then you havent played many before.

7. bart5986

bart5986 Member

Well in my experience loot based games often focus on a good loot system (Path of Exile, Borderlands etc)

And the waves of enemies are normally a lot more interesting, fun to fight, challenging in the right way etc (again path of exile, borderlands etc)

Even the Division 2 was good enough in my opinion just by making sure everything was good enough (story, loot etc).

Its a lot to ask for combat alone to save a game.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
  8. OJR

OJR Member

Thank you sir. This is the post I was waiting for.

9. OP
    OP
    ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

Man I'm still waiting for the Feb 22 unlock date like a fucking schmuck!

10. neds 5 alarm chilli

neds 5 alarm chilli New Member

I was pretty excited to play this game a couple of weeks back, but all of a sudden my interest has dropped off a cliff. Will wait a month or two to see if it's really worth picking up.

Not actually played a looter shooter since borderlands 2, and now I'm itching to play one.

11. MrBS

MrBS Member

Got past the tombs section woo. Now back to the regular missions, its been a joy running around with a full party at all times during missions thanks to the matchmaking.

Mate does that tomb section suck. Good thing I was mucking around with side activities before reaching it. Grinding out achievements of sorts to progress the campaign is such a bizarre move.

12. Tazor

Tazor Member

Pretty sure the Friday patch is going to change some of the missions that require completion of free play challenges and grind the story progression to a halt.

13. sTeeLzor

sTeeLzor Member

I think I had to freeplay for like 20 minutes after getting the Tombs to finish off the last little bit I hadnt already done. Hardly that bad.

14. jET_M@X

jET_M@X Member

Having actually hit end game ( level 30) I'll just leave my 2 cents

Bugs: there are plenty still in the early access.
    Loss of audio in game which can't be fixed until quitting game
    Dropping through world floor in boss fight
    Spawning into stronghold game & no gather/tether mechanic
    Enemy ghosting/disappearance

Endgame:
    After finishing all sidequests all you literally have left are 3 contract.
    Legendary contracts are available on a random timer
    3 strongholds to farm loot. The only new stronghold is temple of scar the other 2 are copied pastaed from the main mission,
    Freeplay.... open world events.
    Previously streamers/youtubers endgame was farming world chests on GM3 to try to get Masterwork/ Legendary gear ( possibly fixed now)

Loot:
    no progression after lvl 36 epics you have to farm strongholds or missions at GM1 to try to get masterwork ( lvl 45) loot
    A lot of the affixes are just randomly thrown on ala vanilla D3. Similar emotional experience
    in D3V, where if you did find a high level drop it's still pretty meh.
    Majority of the Masterwork gear I found was pretty underwhelming so far but there are pretty good weapons & components
    available.

UI Design decisions:
    No text chat in game at all
    No waypoint marker
    No team ping
    Really cumbersome to invite people to games
    Can't dropin join games as game will default to matchmaking with randoms
    So many loading screens (long on ssd./ even longer on mech hdd)

Game Design:
    Very small variety of missions and enemy types ( Very high percentage of copy pasting )
    Poor explanation of the tombs challenge.... no icon or npc to tell you to go out into freeplay. Very high requirements if you had not been playing a lot of the sidequests. Poor loot rewards as well.
    Endgame economy right now is really broken as there is no other avenue to earn coins aside from one off challenges and the weekly alliance system

Sorry for the endless negative aspects first but the combat is pretty good, flying is actually very fun ( BW should make javelin races) and the 1 new stronghold is actually pretty decent.
    It's just that Anthem feels like an early access free to play game rather than a AAA $80 game.
    Day 1 patch for full release should fix a lot of issues but the next content update in March will give a better insight into what direction this game is heading in.

15. sTeeLzor

sTeeLzor Member

Yeah thats how I felt going through. I am only 22 but I feel content already thinning out. When I first started I figured the world might be one of multiple but it was not. Its VERY light on content for a looter shooter.

16. Elyzion

Elyzion Member

Anyone got a GTX970? How does it run? I can play Destiny 2 at 1440p with highest settings and constant 60fps.

This guy APPARENTLY is playing on a GTX970 on ultra at 1440p but I can't find anything else...

I'm gonna pick up a ASUS ROG-STRIX-RTX2070-A8G-GAMING while I'm in Taiwan in April. (About ~$800 AUD at the moment) but want to know if I can play anthem till then.

17. jET_M@X

jET_M@X Member

Gut hunch is you'll be fine but with a some of the settings dropped down a level or two. I'm doing ok at 1440p with maxed setting on a 1080ti.

Edit: also a pro tip support + luck % is the equivalent of magic find. Now running decent gear on my interceptor with 100% luck and getting a few legendary and masterwork drops on GM1.
    Stronghold box farming ftw.

18. Pinkeh

Pinkeh Member

PC Gamer (the magazine) really hates Anthem. :D

Apparently players discovered that you could grind crates in free play for endgame loot, and instead of fixing the 100000 bugs in Anthem, Bioware immediately ninja patched that loot pinata to force players to grind for their end game content.

How did THAT make it through beta testing?

Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
  19. Elyzion

Elyzion Member

I don't mind running at medium settings for ~month or so until I can get a 2070. 970 lasted me well from launch day. Hell if the 970 is decent I might hold out for another generation.

20. jET_M@X

jET_M@X Member

Maybe a cheap 2nd hand upgrade to 1080ti? Similar or better performance to rtx 2080.

Yeah BW would patch that exploit pretty quick since all the twitch streamers were doing & viewers were asking if that was the endgame in chat lol.
    Don't think that's the look EA were going for... "Hai guyz look at anthem's endgame... chest farming flight simulator".

Pinkeh likes this.