Anthem

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by ni9ht_5ta1k3r, Jun 12, 2017.

1. D.Frost

D.Frost Member

Game's not as bad as everyone says. I'm enjoying it. More than Destiny 2, that's for sure.

FerrisXB9R likes this.
  2. OP
    OP
    ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

I'm gonna try again in a month or two but use origin access premier instead.

3. Elyzion

Elyzion Member

Oh today’s update.

Loading screens are fast.

So if you get too far behind and it ports you in. It’s 1-2 seconds for me now.

Loading forge is like 3-4 seconds.

Missions are about 15 seconds now.

4. MrBS

MrBS Member

Nice! I look forward to seeing those load times myself.

Finished the story last night complete with 'is that it?' when the boss fell, oof that mission sucked. Story not much better either.

This game frustrates me, the core gameplay the pew pew while flying around the map to take out enemies with a group or by yourself is a lot of fun. The missions for the most part are quite poor. To date the best mission I've run through is that first stronghold due to the ratio of combat to everything else being higher than most every other mission.

Other missions seem to go load > fly > tiny combat section > fly > another tiny combat section > load. Combat the most fun part of a mission seems to take up the least amount of time in said missions.

Also story is ho hum at best with the dialogue in town being a boring slog to unlock missions. The loot system is a royal pain to navigate thanks to unnecessary load times and menus as well.

I'm usually not a fan of hoard modes but if any game could benefit from a mode where it is just wave after wave of enemies its this one.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2019
  5. Elyzion

Elyzion Member

Combat is the thing holding the game together right now.

Loot is still crap. Story is crap.

But I actually think ok. Flying is awesome and a lot of fun. But it actually ruins the game.

See destiny is linear. But you need to run/jump. Along the way you have to kill bad guys. And you don’t skip them. This let’s to clear out the area and move on.

With flying. You just skip everything and go to the challenge.

The stronghold is a good example. When you go into the cave. You just fly over the top of all mobs to get to the next room/chest.

This would be solved if there were more bad guys who fight in the air who can knock you down so you have to clear it out.

6. Hookimus

Hookimus Member

Yep, because the challange is the fun part, stopping every 5 seconds to easily kill of a couple of enemies is not challanging nor particularily fun :)

I would argue that the placement \ difficulty of those mobs needs to be changed \ updated :)

7. MrBS

MrBS Member

I don't really have an issue of flying past the trash mobs I just want the main encounters to be bigger and take up more of my time. I'd much rather make more use of the flying mechanic with more vertical fights in the combat areas.

8. bart5986

bart5986 Member

This is like taking the worst parts of the game, and forcing you to play it.

Why not just scrap everything, make an arena and have a constant horde of enemies come at you.

9. Elyzion

Elyzion Member

By skipping over, you're effectively getting that already...

10. Tazor

Tazor Member

My issues are purely to do with repetition and a very generic and lifeless feeling world.

Even though animals spawn, there's no sense the world is a living world.
    And the way every mission repeats the same stuff, I hit level 14 and couldn't convince myself to play more.

I was hoping for so much more story telling, in he world and otherwise.
    More dialogue options and meaningful character interactions and choices.

I like the characters fine but I don't CARE about any of them, which is one of the things I loved about ME1.
    It was the first game that made me care about characters, so much so I restarted the entire game to save Wrex - I'm just disappointed and I don't see how Bioware can come back from it as the game seemingly has no real depth or personality and is lacking any real soul.

11. power

power Member

good for a laugh.

Pinkeh, hvalac, Elyzion and 1 other person like this.
  12. Drizz06

Drizz06 Member

That was gold

13. DivHunter

DivHunter Member

Crap mobs are to farm ultimate recharge between actual fights.

14. bart5986

bart5986 Member

You are literally just describing Anthem from the E3 video and other various videos in the past.

and

The question is...

Has the bait and switch actually negatively affected them?

Hopefully it has so they learn a lesson.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2019
  15. Tazor

Tazor Member

Yeah I know, I think that's what I had in my head, so when the game came out and it was nothing like that I just tuned out...

16. FerrisXB9R

FerrisXB9R Member

I'm perplexed at the "story is crap" mentions. Finished the main quest last night, and really enjoyed it from top to bottom. The thing I've done though, is I've spent a LOT of time walking around Fort Tarsis. I talk to everyone, eavesdrop on NPCs, look at all the tiny differences to the Fort as the story progresses. There's a LOT going on there that they don't point out to you with a glowing quest icon. I'm literally flabbergasted at the amount of story that's NOT spoonfed to people, and the tiny details that would escape cursory notice if you just rush through the story. It's a lot of wasted effort, it would appear.

For instance, at the start, Fort Tarsis is pretty much a wasteland. There's bugger all NPCs. By the end, the bar is full, all the chairs are down off the bar with people sitting on them, the alcoves are all full of people. It's lively. And it wasn't a 2 stage process. Every mission, it got slightly more full.

The struggling fruitshop lady and the drunk from the bar team up (thanks to me) and now that shop is manned by both women full to the brim with bread. People around comment on loving the smell of fresh bread again.

The fountain is clean, has fish in it and is now working.

Matthias(sp) has cleaned up his room a bit, and there's more knick-knacks lying around to look at. Once again, not a 2 step progression.

Yarrow has completely transformed the storage room into a small dedicated wall to the stories of Freelancers. It's basically a chapel now. Same deal here, it happened in dribs and drabs.

Lucky Jak has now got an underling working for him helping keep the ledgers, and has re-organised his workspace.

There's a LOT more people wandering around, and empty areas now have people in them. You now see a lot more engineers, cyphers and freelancers wandering around.

There's less litter.

The amplifiers are now all up and running, and they're all manned by Ciphers. Looks like there's a lot more Freelancers at Ft Tarsis now.

Brin has a fucking cornucopia of plants now. It's kind of impressive. Same deal here. Bit by bit, she acquired more plants as I played.

All that aside, the game is totally not without it's faults. I fully understand that. But I also really really enjoy the game a lot more than I probably have any right to. They managed to totally NAIL the distinct feel of each Javelin. Absolutely stellar effort there.

Bugs I can live with, banking on the hope that they can be addressed. Some of the design decisions though, holy fuck. Can only fucking wish there's changes there.

17. Elyzion

Elyzion Member

I noticed this on the first day of playing.

I haven't finished the story but my thoughts are:

In he original preview we saw a bustling market, but we are presented with an empty market pretty much. But I (without seeing end game yet) wondered if the market would look more like the one we saw just later on. So the big moving thing in the background that is currently static might be broken, but in a future update / story progression it is moving around.

The second thing I noticed is when walking through the market, people step out of your way. Unlike other games like destiny where everyone is behind a counter, or you walk through other players. Or something like assassins creed where you step past the people. In anthem they step out of your way but they look at you like they didnt notice you until the last second. I thought that was pretty cool.

The actual story for me is boring because I'm more interested in the gameplay.

18. Hookimus

Hookimus Member

Hahaha I noticed a number of these things occuring (like the Yarrow room and the plants) but I totally missed some of the other things you've pointed out that I'll have to take a look at when I get home.

Personally I did enjoy the main storyline but some of the side people you talk to got a bit tedious sometimes when their storylines were weak like the cleaner guy (don't even remember his name).

I am still loving playing Anthem tho, started with the storm which I've almost completely decked out with Masterwork Items now; I made a "Magic Find" or "Support Luck" build now with roughly 250% bonus to Luck and I am finding normally at the very least 1 masterwork item per mission (even in standard contracts \ completing the daily 3 freeplay world missions) but normally 2-3 a run.

Starting to build out a Collosus build and oh damn it's a completely different play style so very keen to spend more time with that!

19. jET_M@X

jET_M@X Member

20. MrBS

MrBS Member

I'm almost done with the side quests and nearing 30 for end game grind so we'll see how I roll (pun intended) after the update.