1. Check out OCAU's review of the SpaceX Starlink satellite internet service!
    Dismiss Notice

Antivirus with Australian based support?

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by phrosty-boi, Apr 28, 2020.

1. phrosty-boi

phrosty-boi Member

Hi All,
    We're investigating possible alternate AV options at the moment (currently using one that starts with a T and has a lot of red in the logo... let's say not too great an experience)

Big thing for us is good support, the current one has been quite lacking

I know Kaspersky used to have support based in Melbourne, but the whole Russia thing with them leaves a bad taste

So what is everyone using that has AU based support? Ideally we're after something with data loss prevention, antivirus, crypto prevention etc etc

2. NSanity

NSanity Member

Just use Microsoft ATP....

3. ipv6ready

ipv6ready Member

Why is Australian support better? L1 be it in Australia or India will have the same limit

4. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

They're not part of the five eyes. ;)

JSmith

5. OP
    OP
    phrosty-boi

phrosty-boi Member

That's actually one I'm keen on looking at, the only big requirement is that it will run on stuff that's pre Win10 (server 2012 R2)
    I've used managed defender in my last job with SCCM and it was fine - it simply just worked like AV should...

6. NSanity

NSanity Member

karnophage likes this.
  7. onggie

onggie Member

Well with my experience with CrowdStrike, I would sure as shit take local support over their shit ticketing support.

8. ir0nhide

ir0nhide Member

Seriously, who bothers with anything else? Unless you already have products from other vendors that intermingle well ie already have Palo Alto so get Traps + Cortex XDR.

9. millsy

millsy Member

What do you mean by support?

Are you expecting someone to help with Malware?

You might be looking at your problem wrong.

10. power

power Member

Kaspersky still have some Australian based support afaik through reseller channels.

11. OP
    OP
    phrosty-boi

phrosty-boi Member

Mainly looking at Australian support or at least support that isn't painful to deal with (I'm looking sternly in your direction T.... M....)

Support I'm referring to support from the vendor that sells the product - I know that's few and far between with 3rd party vendors in this day and age, we have staff that use some really strange Chinese software that always trips up the AV, even with adding exceptions our current software still gets in the way, just recently we've ran into (another) issue where we can't upload files using browsers and have confirmed it's the AV....

I've found 4 that sound promising (2 I've used before), anyone used any of these and can provide some insight?

Bit Defender
    NOD32 / ESET
    Windows Defender (I've used the standard one that you manage using SCCM, not the fancy ATP one)
    Webroot

12. Dilbery

Dilbery Member

I've used this almost at every job I've had for the past few years, Its probably the best of the lot that you'd listed tbh.

We use Traps currently, I'd love to rip it out and move to ATP. IMHO it's pretty meh.

13. OP
    OP
    phrosty-boi

phrosty-boi Member

Main reason I'm going to be pushing for ATP is because if it's good enough for the Vic education dept it should be good enough for us, plus it's pretty lightweight and simple just works
    I'll hassle our supplier for pricing next week I think

Dilbery likes this.
  14. juz88

juz88 Member

been using Trend for years with no problems... I've never actually had to call support for an AV product? not sure what they would do for you? maybe give you some more licenses?

being able to manage it in the cloud is also great.

15. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

I was on the phone to webroot support a few times. Being cloud based, there's a lot of backend functionality that can affect how it interacts with your apps, but that you can't directly control yourself.

16. juz88

juz88 Member

I can seem to control them via my cloud portal. Exceptions, policies.. etc..

17. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

Yeah webroot has the same. But there are deeper level controls you don't get access to. I mean it's obviously not going to be something that everyone is going to need or have issues with, or it would be something in the main console.

A really easy example of logging support with webroot though is removing deactivated systems from your console. Every time a system is re-imaged and AV reinstalled it creates a new entry in the console, so you end up with multiple same name systems in there. You can't remove those yourself, so once the number starts to get annoying, log a support ticket to remove them. No idea if other AVs have similar issues, it's just something from managing webroot.

18. koopz

koopz Member

Having to rely on external IT support is extremely frustrating...

Extremely Frustrating.

I dislike that I have not kept up with the tech myself nor made wiser job choices in the past where I would have learned to be better able to do this myself.

karnophage likes this.
  19. bryn

bryn Member

We sell & do Australian support for Deep Instinct- PM me if you want to know more