[WIN10] Antivirus

Discussion in 'Windows Operating Systems' started by drunkntigr, Jun 23, 2017.

1. drunkntigr

drunkntigr Member

I did a search and couldn't find an antivirus thread? Something must be wrong.

Anyway, have tried avp, eset, kaspersky - about to try symantec internet security.

I really just want symantec endpoint but they ended that for windows 10? Kaspersky keeps on turning itself off in windows 10 and has annoying plugins. I would think the consumer symantec is going to be the same.

2. CAPT-Irrelevant

CAPT-Irrelevant Member

What's the need for 3rd party? I get away fine with just Windows Defender.

My understanding is that Windows 10 was developed in a way to basically have the existing concept of Windows have been rebuilt from the ground up. This argument could of course be taken with grain of salt, but in my experience, Desktop AV protection has basically been rethought, as the traditional occurrences of viruses from 10~15+ years ago is practically non-existent now. My non-use of 3rd party also takes out the equation the issues that you mentioned with your use of Kaspersky.

Then again, I don't go around negligently downloading dubious content. This is a general statement, not taking pot-shots at you or anyone.

3. NismoR31

NismoR31 Member

the built in windows defender is fine. provided you don't use shitty microsoft browsers

4. dcyloo

dcyloo Member

This is generally toward the line of thinking that I apply also.

Add in also that Windows 10 has the telemetry to provide Microsoft with a more real-time understanding of the in-the-wild usage patterns and infection patterns then there is a greater ability to nix the issues identified.

Be aware in the clicking of links and opening of programs.

The AVCompare site shows that Defender has a 86% hit rate and lower than the others in its simulated test. Simulated. Not live.

5. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Exactly, by employing some basic concepts like this you can largely remove the need for av software. Of course there are varying levels of users.

6. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

I work with a lot of customers who don't have a local IT Administrator to provide advice (mum & dad customers).

My experience is that 3rd party Antivirus programs have caused more issues than virus. When AV is installed by the home user, they're never configured, they slow the entire PC down, they break desirable installs & applications, they do not stop crypto, they don't stop a disk drive from dying.

My advice, if you're about to invest in a 3rd party anti-virus, then don't. Instead, invest in a backup solution.

7. Gaff

Gaff New Member

I'm inclined to agree with BurningFeetMan and the others. I don't work in IT but you'd think I did with the amount of requests I get from family and friends to fix their sluggish computers. Third party AV programs aren't necessary if you're running Windows Defender and know what not to click.

8. metamorphosis

metamorphosis Member

Couldn't disagree more. Backups don't solve the problem, if inexpertly configured ie. what I see most ie. Windows Backup + external drive permanently connected to computer.
    On the other hand, Defender is ineffective - look at AVcomparitives, it's slower than the others and detects less than almost any Fucking sick.
    If you want a slow machine that only detects the bare minimum, stick with defender, or Norton, or Mcafee/Trend Micro. If you want actual antivirus protection, Avast, Avira, Eset all have high non-false detection and don't slow down your machine much by contrast.
    M

Last edited: Jun 30, 2017
  9. BuuBox

BuuBox Member

10. Griff

Griff Member

11. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

I've found Avast impacting massively on compile times when writing code, even after I configured it.

12. ralph123

ralph123 Member

i used sophos at work with no problem. And so i ended up going with the Sophos home user one and it seems fine. No noticable slow down etc.

https://home.sophos.com/

13. merlin13

merlin13 Member

Backups for AV/Malware protection. Fine if you can get the Punters to do the damned things as instructed, automated ones are pretty damned useless once the nasties get into the system thence get shunted across to the backup destination and promptly riddle the servers. Off To The Cloud, Anyone?...

Anyway, back on topic - from the years I've dicked about with WinDoze and AV etc sorting out domestic and commercial systems I've seen pretty well all the most popular AV programs go through cycles of "Fuck, This One Is Great, Doesn't Affect PC Operation At All" to "Fuck, This One Is Now A Piece of Shit. Cleanse It With Fire".

Shining example - Nortons. Used to be pretty well the pinnacle of AV protection, since Symantec took it over until I start urinating petrol I wouldn't bother pissing on it if it was on fire. Only reason I'd still work on it is on jobs where I'm on an hourly rate.... :D

Since the beginning of the year I've also encountered a few systems where after serious/large WinDoze Updates systems running AVG and Avast started to seriously chug. Stripped these out and near-normal system speeds came back. Reinstall them with whatever version you want to pick and they chug again... go figure.

14. VirtualNinja

VirtualNinja Member

I have been running Kaspersky Total security/ pure for the last 4 years on 3 pc's. Not once has it turned itself off in win 8.1 or win 10 environments. Main rig have Kaspersky & Malwarebytes Premium. There is something wrong going on at your end.

15. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

The value in larger enterprise anti-virus suites in business is in their automated deployment, central configuration, mandatory policy enforcement and centralised reporting. These are all necessary when you're managing a large volume of machines, and don't have time to sit at each one manually clicking things.

For home or single-user setups, you don't need any of that. The built in Windows Defender is fine. Ensure you've got automatic updates turned on, and check once every now and then to make sure updates are coming down for both your OS and Windows Defender.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2017
  16. juggernaut88

juggernaut88 Member

Sophos do a free home cloud offering that covers up to 10 machines and you can centrally manage from your web login, set policies on specific machines etc.

17. glenpinn

glenpinn Member

who uses anti virus software these days, don't need it, especially if you are going to pay for it, nothing wrong with Defender, and i have not ever seen any virus on any computer or laptop in over 5 years.

The only thing i used to install was Malwarebytes, but not any more.

18. tree86ers

tree86ers Member

i think it has been about 5 years (or more) since i have installed active anti virus on one of My pc's

usually it is only malware bytes and I run a scan every now and again.

mostly it is now safe browsing practices, that keep me safe.
    If i think it is something questionable, i try and download it on my NAS where it has it's on AV software (linux based)

when it comes to family it is a bit more of a struggle. My Dad is savy enough to do about everything he needs but still downloads content on his PC. this has caused issues a couple of times now where the only action was to wipe and reinstall the OS.

19. Mace

Mace Member

Anybody still use AVG Free?
    I haven't found any slowdown with it.

I've been using it for decade(s?) and it has saved me a few times when inserting a customer HDD for data recovery.
    It also tells me it has saved me from the odd infection here and there through general use.

20. glenpinn

glenpinn Member

Why would anyone still be using any externally installed trashy AV software, which will then disable Windows Defender, which does a far better job anyway ????

LOL False Positives more like it, just to get you to buy their premium version.

And what happens when you go to Harvey Norman to buy a Laptop, the first thing they try to sell you is their add on Care package, which includes a premium version of Nortons or McAffe, and so many people get sucked in to buying it, and if you don't buy the after care package, they still don't tell you that windows 10 already has built in Defender, and i think this is very deceiving, because many normal people have NFI what Defender is.