Any Amateur Radio operators out there?

Discussion in 'Other Toys/Hobbies' started by mhgarage, Aug 21, 2005.

1. vk2fro

vk2fro Member

Still have an active license but waiting for a new IC151 to come in for my IC746 pro as it popped it. No output power on all bands. :(

2. Paul B

Paul B Member

Fitting the radio hobby in with the rest of your life

This applies to any area of the radio hobby, if this is amateur radio, shortwave listening, radio scanning, ultralight DXing or any other area. It becomes more of an issue as your other responsibilities taken over and other people / domestic harmony need to be considered.

I am very interested to get a discussion going on how we each manage this and any issues we have found, some general questions to get the discussion started.

- Do you set aside a specific time / day regularly for your radio hobby?

-Do you generally try and fit your radio hobby around the rest of your life or your life around your radio hobby? This may be more important where other people are involved and you need to fit in with them either way.

- How supportive are your family, friends and co-workers with your radio hobby and is it something that is seen as a part of your family life or is it something that is more hidden away and not really supported / understood by them?

- Would you ever consider making a major decision due to how other people feel about your hobby such as ending a long-term relationship if the other person didn’t support your hobby and didn’t want you to participate in it?

- Any general tips or advice on the ways you combine your radio hobby with the rest of your life?

Regards
    Paul
    http://ultralightdxing.blogspot.com.au/

3. @rt

@rt Member

You get a shed and lock the door.
    That's why it's a radio shack.

This is one of the historic photos from my club.
    Check out the missus, she's wrapped! :D

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 24, 2014
  4. Paul B

Paul B Member

5. Paul B

Paul B Member

A quick question for everybody: is amateur / ham radio only the transmitting side or could you class short wave / medium wave listening as part of this? I guess my question is how can this side of the hobby be described if it does not fit in to the above?

Paul

6. vk2fro

vk2fro Member

Well shortwave listening is mostly what I do - I rarely if ever transmit (and cant at the moment), but if your just interested in listening and not actually transmitting, you can do just that. Some SWL's have ham radios which they don't plug the microphone into and just tune around listening. As a bonus if you only ever listen, you can save the cost of the license fees and tests that go with it :)

Of course if you just listen you won't have a call sign, and if you do get a ham transciever to listen on, dont push the TX button on the front panel - even accidentally, same goes for the "tune" button, that will engage the transmitter (sometimes at a low power, on other sets, at whatever the power is set at) so the radio's tuner can get a match. In essence you would be transmitting illegally.

7. Paul B

Paul B Member

Thanks for the replies. I am going to continue to forge my own way and find my own area of expertise in the radio hobby, is this "nicely" fits within another sub group then so be it.

Some reports on my latest portable ultralight dxing sessions:
    http://ultralightdxing.blogspot.com.au/2014/03/ultralight-dxing-report-mt-barrow_8.html

http://ultralightdxing.blogspot.com.au/2014/03/ultralight-dxing-report-gees-lookout.html

http://ultralightdxing.blogspot.com.au/2014/03/ultralight-dxing-report-round-hill.html

http://ultralightdxing.blogspot.com.au/2014/03/ultralight-dxing-report-launceston_18.html

8. Whoreof Babylon

Whoreof Babylon Member

Whats DXing?

9. ipex

ipex Member

chasing long distance stations, normally what happens is when you talk to a distant station you exhange qsl cards which are basically just post cards saying what time and date frequency you talked on
    sometime the card have information like gear used especially if the stations are using low powered outfits and of course call sign

can't remember what country it was or if it still applies , but i remember recieving a qsl card from a short wave listening who wanted to be a ham , in the country they were from they needed to collect X amount of qsl cards before they could sit for the licence

Last edited: Mar 18, 2014
  10. Whoreof Babylon

Whoreof Babylon Member

Cool, a customer/friend of mine who sadly isent with us anymore had 1000's of qsl cards from a lifetime of HAMing. He had a very impressive room full of radio gear (inc some original Edison stuff). I work as a communications tech in Tassie but ive never gotten into HAM casue it just feels like my job anyway.

11. Paul B

Paul B Member

I am also in Tassie :)

I can understand what you mean, I have tried to keep my hobby as much away from what I do at work as possible. I have just finished creating some loggings sheets so that I don't have to spend as much time on the computer entering the logs of what I hear.

12. Asteroid

Asteroid Member

Thread bump time. I passed my f-call today so I'll be joining in very soon. Also got the obligatory Baofeng on its way for a bit of 2m/70cm fun while studying up for upgrade. :D

13. Seagull

Seagull Member

I realy need to pull my figure out and atleast do my f-call hehe I use radio every day in my job vhf and vhf trunk. Radio has been a hobby for near 30 years but been to lazy or busy to do the ticket

14. WJR

WJR (Banned or Deleted)

I just picked up a UV5R a few weeks ago to listen in on the local 2M repeaters and Port traffic, seems a really good radio for bugger all money.

15. Asteroid

Asteroid Member

I have my f-call now and the uv5rtp, but I've been stuck in NZ for three weeks. :(

16. Seagull

Seagull Member

It's a great little thing for its money I have. 2 but the one thing to remember is there illegal in Australia even for a ham operator

17. Asteroid

Asteroid Member

I can't understand why people claim this. How are those things illegal, when a kit radio or commercial radio is not? Lots of claims made, but little evidence.

18. mtma

mtma Member

There were certain cards that were extremely prized depending on the bands and locations. I remember my father mentioned that particularly ones from South America (either Chile or the other side of Chile but I have forgotten the details) were particularly rare because of the geography, distance and state of the ionosphere. HAM's back then would camp out for basically the perfect time to get make contact on certain bands, and of course they would be too on the other side.

Last edited: May 15, 2016
  19. Seagull

Seagull Member

For a radio to be used in Australia it must have a c-tick type certification by the acma uv5r does not have this there for is illegal

http://www.typeapproved.com.au

20. v81

v81 Member

Different rules apply to amateur radio.
    Hams can pretty much operate whatever radio they like providing they do so within the conditions and limitations set out in the relevant LCD.

This allows the operation of home made gear, cheap imports, kits and small runs of equipment from cottage industries.

The difference is when for example a security or courier company were to want to have unskilled operators use these cheap radios on a commercial frequency.

In other news, just picked up an FT-991
    Can't say i'm impressed with it after a few years away from the hobby and previously owning an IC7000.
    It might grow on me more with some use.
    Unlicensed at the moment, so just listening.
    Should have licence sorted within a month or 2.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2016