Any Amateur Radio operators out there?

Discussion in 'Other Toys/Hobbies' started by mhgarage, Aug 21, 2005.

1. Asteroid

Asteroid Member

They're not legal for cb. Cbs need to be approved.

So what to do with it? If you just want a cb get a cb and sell it to a ham. But if you want to tinker, become a foundation license ham. It's easily done over a couple of weekends.

2. Seagull

Seagull Member

hey guys they are not illegal for anyone over a f call but saying that i have had 2 i use on cb channels for over 2 years and have had no trouble they always seem to do what i want them to do every time the turned on so im not complaining

3. SimParadox

SimParadox Member

I don't understand what you are saying. Punctuation is your friend. :)

4. vk2fro

vk2fro Member

Just turned on the P25 set and monitoring the uhf amateur repeater on GPT. Been a while since I turned on my radios, but didn't get rid of them - and my license is still current. Just had a break from radio :)

Might also turn on the VHF set *flicks switch* and listen out on the vhf repeaters (analogue).

5. eXile1980

eXile1980 Member

Well I'm looking at getting my foundation and maybe standard license over the next few weeks when I'm training down in Hobart. I've emailed a club in Hobart about it but so far now reply. As I am off to Antarctica late October for a year if I can get the license sorted in time and anybody wants to have a chat with someone on the icy continent let me know.

6. D_Web

D_Web Member

Very cool. Are you heading down in a telecoms role? A bloke I work with went to VK0 a while back, I think he said that the station equipment was not meant to be used for amateur ops, so you may need to count on taking your own equipment, unless you're close to the radio department.

Definitely get your licence before going - not many people get to hold a VK0 call. Check out the Radio & Electronic School - www.res.net.au, they have free apps you can download for the Foundation licence, but you'd *really* want to go for a standard for the additional operating privileges it gives you. Still time to get it done before October - I'm sure you could even finish it off remotely if required.

7. eXile1980

eXile1980 Member

Ive made contact with the amateur radio club in hobart so hopefully I'll catch up with them on Wednesday night and see what we can do. My role down south is instrument electrician but I should be able to get on well with the comms guys. I start on Wednesday morning so I will have a chat to one of the engineers at work and see what's required to operate down south.
    Keep you all posted

8. ChiefBoss

ChiefBoss Member

Hello!

My parents recently purchased an old RFDS Radio Base.

Was having a look in the attic and found about 200 oldvalve amplifiers. There are different types and brands - here's a photo of a Mullard.

Click to view full size!

Basically wanted to know if these would have any value and use to anyone. Next time I am up I'll rescue the rest of them.

9. Paul B

Paul B Member

Well I am back active in the radio hobby with a new project :)

10. v81

v81 Member

I did it, re-activated.
    Have both an FT-991 and an IC-7300

If anyone wants to know which is best, the 7300 hands down.
    And this is coming from someone keen on 2 & 70 SSB operation.

11. Asteroid

Asteroid Member

I've applied to do the standard course in Feb with ham college. Haven't been very active lately but next year in my own place will be better.

12. ipex

ipex Member

did you look into the radio electronics school res.net.au? they are quite good for upgraded

anyone into sota/qrping ?
    who's been taking up the favourable conditions on 10m

13. Eclipsor

Eclipsor Member

I know this thread is for amateur operators, but I just thought I'd post here about a job the company I work for has running at the moment for a radio technician. We are based in Brisbane (yes despite my profile location), Coopers Plains. Send me a PM if anyone is interested. HF experience preferred, but get in touch either way. ta

14. toje

toje Member

I QRP, I cant do much else I have been an F call for 3 years XD

15. Paul B2

Paul B2 Member

I am still playing around with scanners, now focusing on traffic analysis.

16. vk2fro

vk2fro Member

I'm still playing radio - but atm I am toying with solar. Bought two panels, a shitload of kindly treated batteries (19 55aH units) and a charge controller. Will look for a non noisy inverter for the appliances, and a quiet DC-DC converter to run the radios. 30A should do it - run both the HF, vhf and uhf all at once, and still have current to spare to run the desk lamp (LED) and tx on any single radio without compromising the other 12V items.

17. SchRAMBO

SchRAMBO Member

VK6FBGS

I have a Yaesu VX-8GR (suspect faulty as I have never been able to get signal with it)
    and a Baofeng UV-5R+
    BladeRF 116x FPU version.
    a handful of RTL-SDRs

I have almost completely given up on the hobby. It's inacessable for me, can't get any signals anywhere. can't go anywehre where I could. Equipment too expensive, and living inner city rentals where owners and housemates just don't understand things. And even if I do manage to get online and setup it seems to be completely dead air here in WA.

I was getting into the digital modes and SDR's but again I was struggling to get anything out of the hobby in return. I have since let my membership with WIA lapse. But i continue to keep my license with ACMA up to date and paid as it's an absolute pain in the arse having to get it back again.

18. CAESAR

CAESAR Member

Hi Guys,

I've been meaning to get my Foundation license for many years but have just never got around to it. Hopefully I can organise something in the new year, then I just need to convince the wife that the antenna's would look great on the roof :)

19. franny

franny Member

Have you looked at using a squid pole for an antenna mast? It can be brought up and down as you need (so no issue with the landlord/housemate), and you can run a dipole or endfed wire without an issue. I'm not getting much from the endfed, but there are a few options. Have a look at VK3YE on youtube, as he does a lot of portable/QRP stuff
    Mate, the foundation test is pretty easy and doing a course through a reputable club will get you the license. Have a look at the local clubs/ARV for details. You don't need a permanent antenna tower, so you can make that discussion with the better half a bit easier. Warning, the equipment is fairly expensive, especially from reputable Australian suppliers.

20. vk2fro

vk2fro Member

Well I stupidly let my license lapse, and forgot to renew it in the 60 days they give you. Recently sent off the stuff to the ACMA, and should have a new callsign soon. In the mean time my toys have their microphones unplugged, and the TX is inhibited on the hand held, but this is how my little stack of gear is looking right now:

[​IMG]

Top is IC 7300, Middle is XTL 2500 motorola hacked to believe its an XTL 5000, and the bottom is a big old manual antenna tuner that will tune a piece of wet string ;) In front of the tuner is the little Wouxon handheld, which is programed with all the repeaters in australia (3000 memories), and uhf CB RX.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019