1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Any Amateur Radio operators out there?

Discussion in 'Other Toys/Hobbies' started by mhgarage, Aug 21, 2005.

1. Whoreof Babylon

Whoreof Babylon Member

Well, that was silly :D youl probably get your original call sign back, its not like they issue them flat out.

I like your setup, whats your antenna like?

I should probably get my licence sorted out, ive been lazy because i can use my professional qualifications and my commonwealth experimental licence to transmit on any frequency anyway.

2. vk2fro

vk2fro Member

Yeah it was pretty dumb, but at least I get to change my callsign! I didn't like the old one as people often thought I was an F call, until I told them I'm Advanced, and running 100 watts, and NO, I don't have a fourth letter :p

Antenna's are next. Due to space restrictions I have to replace the discone a X510 coming, and for HF I have a cobweb for 20-10, then I'll put up a wire for 30, 40 and 80. I also have one of those W8010 wires from Diamond for field days.

3. money_killer

money_killer Member

Just got a baofeng f8 hopefully here Fri or mon.goimg to have a little play. Just it for multipurpose high and marine and local emergency services that aren't encrypted.

Any tips

4. eXile1980

eXile1980 Member

Download CHIRP to program it. They are painful to program through the keypad

5. money_killer

money_killer Member

Yeh done that and bought the codes off a local eBay bloke for $1 doesn't look hard at all

6. eXile1980

eXile1980 Member

What codes did you buy?
    Nothing needed other than chirp which is free, also you need the programming cable for your version of baofeng radio which generally doesn't come with them.
    Also an external antenna will help heaps with receive. Google flower pot antenna for a super cheap and easy antenna to DIY

7. money_killer

money_killer Member

$4 sorry

http://rodneystevens.com/shop/

8. vk2fro

vk2fro Member

$4 isn't much, but those chirp files can be found on the internet for free.

I have all the CB frequencies in mine along with all the amateur repeaters, but mine is a UV9D+, I got it for listening to the air band as well as chook and ham stuff.

I need to go through it as they are ALL in one big bank, need to sort it into 7 banks to cover the states and territories of Australia for the Ham stuff. Air band stuff I just tune in manually after looking at the charts for the runways on my ipad :)

Not sure if that model has Inhibit TX in the chirp program, but I would highly suggest enabling it on any services you are not licensed for, and do not use it on a boat, even if you have a marine license, as its not type accepted.

Last edited: May 20, 2020
  9. money_killer

money_killer Member

yeh im a full rookie so it will help me get me head around it. then i will be fine.

cheers for the inhibit tx andboat info.

10. money_killer

money_killer Member

well i must say im impressed. i built my own programing cable for like $4 instead of paying $20-30. programed radio works perfect i must say the features and build quality are awesome for the price owes me like $60 thank god i didn't spend like $250 on a branded one.

now everyone i know wants one for camping/4wding etc.

now just waiting on hand piece and external aerial for car

11. vk2fro

vk2fro Member

Yes the little chinese radios have gone from woeful to pretty darn good these days. Only the die hards buy the expensive icom/yaesus/kenwood portables. Plus sometimes portable get into an accident like being dropped into a puddle, not a big loss if its just a $50 radio!

My gear is packed away at the moment (except for the wouxon) as I am moving the apartment around once I get rid of this bigass desk. I have a shelf to pop the radio gear on out of the way, but can still wheel on over to it in my computer chair to play radio once I get everything set back up.

A fellow ham is coming down to assist in erecting the cobwebb (now built and tuned as I picked up a VNA), and is sitting out back on a tripod. Tunes slightly low, as once it goes up, it'll detune slightly up the band where I want it. Before packing up I switched between the 27mhz antenna tuned for 10m and the cobwebb and the difference was night and day! Band was definatly alive that afternoon once I'd finished my 39th trip to the antenna to adjust the elements!

Oh my new callsign is VK2EMP :)

12. Paul B2

Paul B2 Member

Great to see amateur radio still has some people interested, I must get my licence back in the near future.

13. CAESAR

CAESAR Member

I'm still keen to get back into it, I made a post in this thread about 2 or 3 years ago saying I need to find the time to get my license etc. Well I still haven't found the time..lol
    I may just get my old 27mhz cb radio up and running and see what action is out there.