1. Win some Crucial goodies in OCAU's Christmas Treasure Hunt!
    Dismiss Notice

Any decent old game to testing my new gsync monitor but old CPU?

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by Multiplexer, Jul 11, 2018.

1. Multiplexer

Multiplexer Member

Looking for some decent old game to test my new 4k gsync monitor. Issue is my CPU is Intel Ivy Bridge i7-3770 3.4GHz + Nvidia GTX980 so any new game will be tough to maintain 60 fps.

Tried Witch 3 with all setting low in a 2k monitor and it only managed 80fps indoor.

Considering getting CounterStrike GO, is there even server in Australia? Telstra servers? Any other game suggestion?

2. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

Bioshock Infinite?
    Doom 3 BFG edition?
    Crysis?

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
  3. Sinisstar

Sinisstar Member

Fallout 3 and NV. Borderlands.

There's plenty of CSGO servers in Aust too

4. asho444

asho444 Member

bad company 2?

5. hvalac

hvalac Member

Overwatch!! drop the settings down and smash the fps.

6. OP
    OP
    Multiplexer

Multiplexer Member

I find my computer never smashed any FPS, even when games are release around the same time as the CPU back in 2012. Feeling lacklustre.

7. OP
    OP
    Multiplexer

Multiplexer Member

Is free version of fortnite demanding? Can my computer run it at 120fps @ 4K

8. breno

breno Member

Definitely Crysis.

9. japes

japes Member

Pretty sure Gsync is least gimmicky when you aren't capping/maxing framerates. I don't think I've ever seen tearing on my 144's and I've been running 144hz for at least 5 years.

Seems like a weird purchase to spend the extra money for Gsync if your CPU/GPU isn't cutting it in the first place.

10. OP
    OP
    Multiplexer

Multiplexer Member

Hate to say this but weird is a understatement for my situation, but to cut the reason short, I am buying a low response time monitor and gsync seem to come with it. CPU and video card is work in progress.

11. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

Firstly a 3770k is a fine cpu, especially at 4k where all load is put onto GPU in most games.

See here as example, 1080p cpu makes big diff but at 4k jack all https://www.anandtech.com/show/11697/the-amd-ryzen-threadripper-1950x-and-1920x-review/16

G-sync actually shines when you are not getting your max fps.. If you are holding your refresh rate cap e.g. Cs:go you might as well turn g-sync off and get the ~0.8ms improvement on input lag.

Even though it's marketed as removing screen tearing as some amazing thing.. Adaptive vsync did that a while ago.. The best thing it does is smoothen out sudden frame rate dips by removing stutter. With 144hz gaming and high fps obsession this made me go from raging at dips under 100fps to being able to handle as low as 80fps before being too annoyed.

Your next upgrade should be video card before cpu at 4k. Clock the 3770k to 4.6ghz

If you want to test gsync you actually want under 60fps.. If you just want a 60fps constant experience, cs:go and overwatch.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
  12. power

power Member

What are you wanting to test exactly though?

walker_2003 likes this.
  13. OP
    OP
    Multiplexer

Multiplexer Member

Just want to try out what this gsync is all about. To be honest, my old monitor was a 6ms Dell monitor back in 2007 and games have always been at 40fps at best because I have played in ultra graphic setting. Never really bother me, but since my new monitor have it I just want to try. Got a CS GO steam account from nephew, going to try.

14. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

You won't see benefits of gsync on Cs go as u will hold 60fps. You won't have tearing I guess...

Gsync will make those 40fps moments less stuttery.

If you really wanted a revelation you should have gone a 2k gsync 144hz panel for a huge difference.. going from 1080p 60hz to 4k 60hz is nice for crispness but going from 60hz to 144hz is mind blowing.

Can also super sample on a 2k screen to get it close to 4k crispness.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
  15. OP
    OP
    Multiplexer

Multiplexer Member

I also uses the monitor for work and screen space is crucial. Is just the monitor I purchase hits all my requirement. Games is really second priority and nice to have.

walker_2003 likes this.
  16. japes

japes Member

I don't think you're really going to be able to 'test' it in the sense you're looking for. If you're playing games (a real world application) and don't feel like you've been able to properly test it, that's a pretty good indicator for how effective it is (or isn't).

walker_2003 likes this.
  17. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

Instead of V-Sync which caps the FPS, you use G-Sync so you can FPS all over the place but the monitor matches the rate - ala you never see screen tearing again.

18. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

And stutter which is often just associated as low fps when frames dip but it's the chunky resync of frames aligning to monitor cycles.