Any decent SMB switches that have PoE & SFP+ that aren't 48 ports?

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by -Sk3tChY-, Dec 16, 2018.

1. -Sk3tChY-

-Sk3tChY- Member

Setting up a new location for a customer where they have one main office at the front of the building and another secondary office at the opposite end over 100 metres away.

They've had fibre ran between the two offices, so I'll be looking to interconnect everything using SFP+ to give a 10-20Gbps link between the offices.

Have settled on most of the hardware, including the main switch which will likely be a toss up between the Ubiquiti US-48-750W or ES-48-750W as these seem to be well-regarded and great value for money. (Leaning towards the EdgeSwitch, as these apparently have more configuration options at the moment.)

The secondary switch however I'm not so sure on. They don't really require another 48 port switch for the second smaller office, but it seems most/all of the switches I've come across don't have everything I'm after unless I look at something big (48 ports) or ridiculously expensive.

Essentially looking for something that's:

- About 16-24 ports
    - Most, if not all ports are PoE
    - 2 x SFP+ ports

Not all that concerned with Smart/L2/L3 capabilities, even a dumb/unmanaged switch will do the job. Really just after something that can power a handful of IP phones + cameras, connect a handful of PC's and provide a nice fast connection to the main office.

I've tried looking at some of the following brands that I trust and have worked with in the past:

- HP
    - Netgear
    - TP-Link

But haven't managed to find anything suitable. Have looked at some other brands like D-Link, Linksys, etc. Still no luck.

I stray away from the hardcore stuff like Cisco/Juniper because they're typically overcomplicated to configure (CLI only) and really expensive.

Any suggestions much appreciated.

2. TehCamel

TehCamel Member

I mean.. is the 10G LAG a business requirement, or just coolness?
    If you have a dumb switch, how is it going to handle 2x 10Gb connections?

If the 2x10Gb SFP+ is a true requirement, then just tell the business they need to fork out for the 48x, even though it means spare capacity. Switchports get used anyway.

3. OP
    OP
    -Sk3tChY-

-Sk3tChY- Member

Whatever we purchase now will have to last 5+ years, so may as well spend the extra few hundred dollars and try get 10G connectivity. They've already got the fibre ran so we may as well make the most of it.

There will also be a handful of 8MP IP Cameras connected to the secondary switch which will need to send the traffic over the fibre link to the NVR, not so sure this would require 10G but it definitely wouldn't hurt.

The same Server/NVR will be their PBX, so more traffic. And then of course normal data etc.

Still doing a bit of research on this to see if/how it would all work, but on each switch we're considering using one SFP+ port to interconnect the two switches and then use the second SFP+ ports to provide direct fibre connections to the Server + NVR.

Just figuring out how we would then make sure people on SW1 would go via their direct SFP+ connection to the server and then people on SW2 would use their direct SFP+ connection.

Guessing we'd just set the IP addresses of the two fibre ports on the server as XX.XX.XX.10 and XX.XX.XX.11 and have people connected to SW1 use .10 to access the server and people on SW2 use .11 - but I'm guessing this may require Layer 3 switching capabilities.

Yeah, this probably wouldn't be a major issue - the last time we purchased/upgraded their switch was 5+ years ago. Just figured it would be worth seeing if there are any small 16-24 port PoE & SFP+ switches out there.

4. tensop

tensop Member

HP 1950

Nobby6 likes this.
  5. scips

scips Member

Just get the same as the main office. Bonus being that if switch at main office dies, you can cannibalize the secondary office to get it back online (guessing if the budget is being so finnicky about going a 48 over 24 that you are not having a spare at HO)

HPE will be pricier than the ubiquiti but 2930M (with module) or 2540 can have SFP+ (JL356A is a 2540 24port poe+ 4sfp+)

6. TehCamel

TehCamel Member

so spend the few hundred and get a 48x. It'll last 5 years, and switch port requirements will grow.

so you're going to multi-home it? but what about when..

Oh. I see.

There is a dlink switch which appears to meet your requested specs

7. bcann

bcann Member

Don't know your budget, but you did mention netgear:

GSM4328PB

does all that you need.

8. Primüs

Primüs Member

9. BlueSteel

BlueSteel Member

Have you seen the TP-Link T1700G-28TQ ? Has 24 ports gigabit and 4X SFP+ ports and can be had for ~$400AUD:
    https://www.tp-link.com/us/products/details/cat-40_T1700G-28TQ.html#specifications

I have one of these and have been happy with it. I haven't used the managed features, rather I just wanted an easy path for upgrading my NAS and workstation at home to 10Gbps (I already had 10Gbps NICs that had SFP+ ports)

10. grrrr

grrrr Member

11. ir0nhide

ir0nhide Member

Last edited: Dec 23, 2018
    Nobby6 likes this.
  12. tensop

tensop Member

and a quick command in the CLI converts it to a HP 5130 with some IRF limitations... full blown managed switch ;)

13. OP
    OP
    -Sk3tChY-

-Sk3tChY- Member

Very good point there. Depending on how cheap I could find a suitable secondary, this might be enough justification for getting 2 x 48 port ubiquiti's.

Big fan of the HPE swtiches, worked with a few in the past and love the fact you can do a lot of the simple stuff within the WebUI - the lifetime warranty is always a win too.

The only issue is that chances are a suitable "smaller" HPE switch will probably cost more than a second 48 port ubiquiti. The JL356A for example looks to be about $2,400.

Yeah, thinking that going the 2 x 48 port Ubiquiti's may be the way to go.

Out of curiosity though, what's this D-Link switch you speak of?

Appreciate the recommendation mate. Took a quick look at this model and it looks to cost about $2,700; at that price we'd just buy a second 48 port Ubiquiti for about $1,500.

Never worked with Mikrotik in the past, have always seen the name pop-up from time to time however.

Looks like these can be had for about >$600 from places like Duxtel (thanks for the suggestion grrrr).

Do the Mikrotik switches use a WebUI or do they have to be configured via CLI or some proprietary utility?

Appreciate the suggestion, but these don't have PoE.

Very interesting. I struggled to find any HPE switch which met my requirements, but this looks pretty bang on. The only issue is it looks to cost about $1,100. :(

At that price, we'd undoubtedly get more value out of purchasing a second 48 port Ubiquiti.

The 1950? :o

14. tensop

tensop Member

Yep, the 1950 and the 5130 are the same physical hardware and use the same firmware - the boot loader checks to see what model it is and turns certain features off..

https://networkguy.de/?p=1790

;)

Uses comware v7 - which is cool, and annoying because you cant shorten 'display' down to 'di' like in comware5.. only 'dis' :)

Web interface is decent on the switch too, and if you need to crank 740 watts of POE out of it - then you can plug in an HPE RPS which are a hundred bucks on ebay

Slug69 likes this.
  15. Primüs

Primüs Member

Mikrotik switch has

Webfig (webui)
    Winbox (actual program interface)
    CLI
    API

So you can really take your pick.

There can be a bit of a learning curve, they do tend to have some different design concept but they are extremely flexible I have mikrotik running a few gigabit at the core of an ISP and some of their switching in both enterprise installs and edge distribution

The only big feature they lack compared to big enterprise is probably stacking but I believe they are working on that too

16. scips

scips Member

I installed a few in melb DCs last year, bought a rb3011 and the first thing that happened was the screen falling into it,few months later the poe died, couple of months later the GUI (web and winbox) stopped working and a couple of PCs on the network stopped talking, tried firmware updates and redid config after the poe died but no luck.

Pfsense on a Qotom is doing way better.

17. OP
    OP
    -Sk3tChY-

-Sk3tChY- Member

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. The feasible options seem like:

1. Grab 2 x 48 port Ubiquiti's for about $3,000
    2. Grab 1 x 48 port ubiquiti + 1 x Mikrotik (something like the CRS328-24P-4S+RM) for about $2,100 ($1,500 + $600)

The 1950 HPE sounds great, but at about $1,200 I feel we'd be best of spending the extra few hundred for a second 48 port Ubiquiti.

The Mikrotik being just $600 means they'd definitely be saving a noticeable amount on the purchase and if most things can be managed from within the WebGUI, provided it's reliable - this should do the job fine.

Anyone know what the warranty is like on Mikrotik? Seems Ubiquiti only offer 1 year!