Any desolderers here?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by fleetfeather, Sep 3, 2018.

1. fleetfeather

fleetfeather Member

Hiyo,

I've soldered a few bits and pieces before (mostly keyboards), but I'm not accomplished in this area.

Reckon anyone here would be up to the task of desoldering a DVI connector from a graphics card PCB for me? I'm likely to do a trash job at it if I do it myself, as my soldering iron tip is not very sharp. I'd be happy to compensate in some way (trades or cash)

Cheers

2. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

You would need someone who has access or owns a reflow/heat station as it will be the easiest way to remove the connector.

3. Hater

Hater Member

Naw, a fine tip and solder sucker is all you need, plus flux to clean it all up

Assuming the normal through-hole DVI connector i'm thinking of

4. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

Have you actually desoldered a DVI through-hole connector from a PCB cleanly before? I can tell you right now it takes more than just a fine tip and solder sucker to do all 24 pins finely and it will take you more time when I can just load up my reflow station, throw some flux/solder on pins and remove it from underneath the PCB face side by heating the bottom pads within 2 minutes while you'll still be attempting to desolder not even half the amount of finely pitched machine placed connector pins from the female dvi connector. Whether the dvi connector assembly will come out perfectly from the pcb through holes without tearing a pad is also another matter.

5. Hater

Hater Member

Heaps of times.

Obviously it will take longer, doesn't mean it can't be done.

6. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

Exactly which is why I said, easiest way to get it done is via reflow station/flux and bit of solder. It's a no brainer really. Time + efficiency + accuracy is all that matters.

7. Hater

Hater Member

No, you said you NEED a reflow station. You don't.

8. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

You're not reading my entire sentence. Let me re-QUOTE it for you with key parts high lighted in bold.

I didn't stop and say you need someone as in implying someone absolutely needs a reflow station to get it done..no, you absolutely need someone who has access to one or owns a reflow station to get it done via the easiest way. Which is true. Please don't tell me otherwise.

9. dakiller

dakiller (Oscillating & Impeding)

Not to say I don't believe you Hater, but I don't believe you.

For things past simple desoldering, the rule of thumb I use is -
    Do you want to keep the part in one piece? Destroy the PCB while removing it.
    Do you want to keep the PCB intact? Destroy the part removing it.

Not to say you can't keep both intact, but that is madskills and equipment for something with so many pins on a throughhole plated multilayer PCB.

If the clearance on the hole and the pin is tight, you are not going to get it off with a soldersucker and normal iron.

10. Hater

Hater Member

You said you NEED to have a reflow station to do it as it's the easiest way, even though the OP in no way said it needed to be done the easiest way.

OP wants to travel from Sydney to Melbourne. What you're saying is that you NEED a plane to get to Melbourne, as it's the easiest way? Then i'm saying use a car, and you're saying no that won't work

11. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

That's a stupid logic you have there and you're obviously not thinking it through with your responses, why would the OP risk some amateur going hack with a soldering iron and solder suckers to even attempt to desolder a piece of connector placed and soldered in by a reflow/smd placement system/station in the first place, risk the potential of fine pads through a multi-layer PCB being ripped off, not to mention taking a longer time in the process. I work with electronics day in day out, this includes designing, re-engineering/reverse engineering, repairing and servicing circuits and products when I'am not occupied with my day job or consulting with clients. If somebody like OP came up to me and made the identical request as posted here, I wouldn't think for a second even attempt to tackle the task with my Metcal/Hakko soldering station because that is just plain silly. No, I would use my reflow station because it will be the most safest, easiest, simplest and quickest route to getting the task done and done properly and cleanly. Simple common sense use using the right tools for the right job, not the other way around.

If it was a TO-220 factor voltage regulator or a through hole 1/2watt resistor, I'd say go ham and use the soldering iron as that is what it is intended for, but using soldering iron for a dvi connector is plain silly. Yes it gets the job done, perfectly or not is a different story but again, you'd use the right tools for the right work.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2018
  12. Hater

Hater Member

In your own words. Not everyone has a Cessna at Sydney International waiting for them.

RaZ likes this.
  13. Technics

Technics Member

Debate aside, I don't think a fine tip and a solder sucker is the way to go. On a modern graphics card it's not a going to be a matter of time it's a matter of the power/ground planes sucking away the heat before the solder is molten all the way through to and on both fillets. It might work okay if the board was also pre-heated. Not saying it's impossible but why try to jump the Grand Canyon on a motorcycle when there's highway either side?

14. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

It’s definitely not the way to go. Basically asking yourself for trouble and taking a long time to get it done, but since Hater wants to troll around and stick by his “fine tip iron solder and desolder pump”, I ain’t going to even bother responding anymore. It ain’t a logical approach to this method, if its something you already own to get repaired and have a solder iron and desolder on hand nothing else, go for it.

If you’re asking for somebody elses advice or external help to get the connector removed a’la OP’s thead, the only industry standard used approach for these kind of things is what I mentioned already.

15. Jumpingmanjim

Jumpingmanjim Member

Forget about desoldering, I reckon I can get it off with just a hacksaw.

16. oculi

oculi Member

heat gun is good for getting bits that don't mind getting hot off as long as you don't care what other bits come off. I've never had much luck with suckers but haven't done loads of this stuff.

17. havabeer

havabeer Member

I'm with jumping man, just use side cutters and put some silicon on the cut off bits so they don't touch

philquad likes this.
  18. Jumpingmanjim

Jumpingmanjim Member

I've just checked my toolbox and I reckon I can pull it off with my pliers.

museumman likes this.
  19. OP
    OP
    fleetfeather

fleetfeather Member

I'd definitely rather try find someone with a reflow station given the comments in this thread. Pliers sounds brutal on the PCB traces lol

20. gdjacobs

gdjacobs Member

Pliers are liable to damage the pads.

I would say a desoldering gun would be as effective as a hot air station, although a lot depends on the pitch and clearance of the through holes.