1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Any experiences with Better Batt batteries?

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by synoptica, Oct 21, 2013.

1. synoptica

synoptica Member

Hey all,

My newly acquired 50D's battery leaves a lot to be desired, in start contrast to my outgoing 450D which would see weeks of use without a recharge.

I've done a bit of shopping around, and have come across Better Batt (http://www.camera-battery.com.au/) who seem to have some decent guarantees and reasonable prices, and a few good reviews too.

So while it all looks promising, batteries are normally an area of the aftermarket I tend to avoid, but the pricing on a genuine Canon item is beyond excessive.

Has anyone used any of their items - if so, what was your experience?

Also - if anybody local is thinking of placing an order, let me know if you want to combine postage! $10 for a single item seems excessive, but free for two or more!

2. RichoB

RichoB Member

I bought a couple of batteries for my Fuji and performance seems to be on par with the first party battery. They've probably been through ten or so cycles.

I'd recommend them.

3. OP
    OP
    synoptica

synoptica Member

Thanks for the advice! Seems most feedback for them is quite positive. Their cheap-looking website throws me off a bit!

4. Zee

Zee Member

I'd look at Sterlingtek, I have found their Canon batteries to be 20%-30% longer lasting than the Canon originals, and way cheaper. I am also talking long term, not just the first few charges.

Z...

5. OP
    OP
    synoptica

synoptica Member

They do look good, but no Oz shipping option it seems :(

6. Audionut

Audionut Member

Got a few batteries off these guys for a 5D3. They work, unlike other cheaper branded batteries in the 5D3. Nothing scientific but they feel like they last at least as long as the Canon branded ones.

http://stores.ebay.com.au/dstepower

7. Zee

Zee Member

If you can wait, I'll be in the US in about a week.

Z...

8. OP
    OP
    synoptica

synoptica Member

I can very much wait :) My lens is in for a service anyway.

Of course, only if it's no trouble though!

9. glenpinn

glenpinn Member

this is the best battery supplier i have ever used by a mile, and in over 10 years all their batteries have been brilliant, service is great, and prices are pretty dam good.

http://aubattery.net/panasonic/vbg260.html

a 1050mAh battery for my cameras from Better Batt is $27.11 where i can get a 2850mAh battery from aubattery.net for $29.99, and my 5800mAh batteries are $49.99 each.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2013
  10. StuartL

StuartL Member

Just be careful - I've had experience with el cheapo third party batteries that worked great at first, but couldn't hold a charge after a few cycles. Don't judge them at the start of their life; judge them by what they're like after 6-12 months (granted, difficult to do unless you run a review site, or can find a good review of them...)

11. glenpinn

glenpinn Member

batteries are no different than any other item you will buy, some just dont cut it, just like you will get the odd faulty hdd or laptop or whatever, sometimes batteries are the same.

dont be fooled into thinking that a canon battery is any better than an oem battery made on mass in a factory in china, because in most cases, the manufacturers battery is no different.

i have bought hundreds of camera batteries since 1999 and never had any of them fail on me even after a couple of years use, and most of them i bought from http://aubattery.net/panasonic/vbg260.html

i also buy lots of laptop chargers and batteries from a reputable supplier in ebay, all shipped in from hong kong, all over 50% cheaper than the exact same ones sold by the manufacturer, all the same product, just that the manufacturer sticks their own label on them.

that Better Batt store buys their batteries from the same oem factory as everyone else, and just puts their own sticker on them, just like all the others do.

pricing is about the only difference between all these batteries, one store will be cheaper than others.

12. Zee

Zee Member

If you order it, and get it posted to a US address I give you, it'll be no hassle.

Z...

13. Audionut

Audionut Member

I go through a set of batteries in the grip every 5 days or so and rotate the dtsepower ones with Canon ones. Been doing this for 6 months or so with no problems. Some other cheap piece of shit ones I got won't boot the camera when they're under 30% charge :shock:

Good advice anyway though :thumbup:

14. sml_nail

sml_nail Member

Resurrecting an old thread but care to share said ebay seller. I'm looking to purchase a couple of batteries and have been stung in the past.

15. Squeezer

Squeezer Member

I bought aftermarket batteries for Sony A7R from betterbatt as well as some Sony N970 bricks and they seem to hold charge well. Substantially cheaper than Original

16. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

i have a couple (d3, d4, a99 and a7 styles)
    All have held up well, and yes huge price savings.

Went with them as they're in AU so any warranty claims are far easier, as opposed to an ebay seller from HK etc

17. OP
    OP
    synoptica

synoptica Member

Holy shit, this was three years ago??

In any case, the batteries have stood the test of time; would happily recommend BetterBatt to anyone!