Any iPhone developers here?

Discussion in 'Programming & Software Development' started by swipe, Sep 23, 2008.

1. swipe

swipe (Banned or Deleted)

Is anyone here developing an app for the iPhone?

2. res

res Member

A couple of guys in my team are doing iPhone development for some of our games. If you have any specific questions let me know and I'll try to get you an answer.

We had to buy them all mac mini's though :thumbdn:

3. OP
    OP
    swipe

Although there is one app I'd like to build for the iPhone (but can't, not allowed to do TCP packet-captures afaik) I'm more curious to know if there's any Aussies out there building apps for the device.

4. Dedge

Dedge Member

Not sure where you're located, but you might be interested in the Brisbane Cocoaheads group which meets once a month.

5. QuakeDude

QuakeDude ooooh weeee ooooh

Downloading the iPhone SDK as I type this, going to see how difficult this is. I bought an iPhone for the wife over christmas, and with my purchase of an iMac yesterday, I'm very keen to see whether I can produce anything useful. I've got years of Windows / VB experience which I'm going to have to forget by the looks of things :(

6. alexc

alexc Member

No, but I'm seriously considering it :D

Cocoa is pretty nice it seems, and Obj-C isnt hard really.

7. bugayev

bugayev Whammy!

I've done a couple of little apps for the iPhone, nothing huge or for the app store - just Proof of Concept for my own understanding really.

8. andydev

andydev Member

I've developed for other platforms, like s60 or android, so I went to grab the SDK to realise that you MUST have a mac.

Their loss!

9. ACodingFettish

ACodingFettish Member

had an idea for enhancing GPS traffic that I would like to develop for navmans ro something like that but I don't think they have an SDK so I decided to try it on Iphone (though I've heard they've got some security around GPS navigation)

but I can't because it only works on mac. Might VMWare it if I really can be bothered.. which I probably can't.

10. alexlim2000

alexlim2000 Member

Anyone know if, through using the SDK, you can access phone storage?

Also, can a standard user with itunes upload arbituary files to their iphone?

(non-jailbroken).

I've got an idea for an app that would need some storage.

11. Punch Bunny

Punch Bunny Member

I just downloaded the iPhone SDK today - I have a few ideas I'd like to try out, strangely enough I don't actually own an iPhone but maybe I can convince the other half that we really need one ;)

12. QuakeDude

I think it comes with an emulator, but I could be wrong. I've downloaded it and haven't had a chance to actually look at it yet :)

13. OP
    OP
    swipe

It comes with a simulator - be warned, there's a reason they call it a simulator rather than an emulator ;)

14. Primüs

Primüs Member

Im about to start, as i bought iPhone on Friday. Unfortunately atm i cant do anything as i dont own a Mac =( Might have to try vurtualise it >_<

15. proffesso

proffesso Member

well no, your loss actually.

you want to make money on iphone? buy a mac

you want to develop a Xbox360 game...buy a devkit

see the similarities?

16. ACodingFettish

ACodingFettish Member

no. It's apples loss also. Windows is what it is today because it's friendly to developers. Iphone could have many more great programs if they opened it up to the masses to develop.

THey gain a small amount of mac licenses for those who really want to develop, but they lose so many developers who could create programs that draw people to the iphone.

17. AMD64

AMD64 Member

Can't you just use XNA for XBL/XBLA games for the 360?, no need for a devkit afaik.

18. proffesso

proffesso Member

nope, xna only allows higher-level functions, you cant do a lot with it.

(hence why xna games look the way they do..)

19. QuakeDude

From what I 've read briefly, the iPhone functionality seems to be heavily tied in to the OS framework, so it makes sense to keep the development platform as 'pure' as possible from a stability point of view.

Your comment about Windows being what it is today - thats also a negative, and another good reason not to dilute the development platform any further; If thre iPhone is reliant on an OS/X based framework, it makes sense to develop on a Mac.

20. Primüs

Primüs Member

Being as Mac's OS/X is based on *BSD, does anyone know if the iPhone devkit can be made to work in something such as FreeBSD?