Any light-gun fans out there?

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by bojo, Apr 14, 2011.

1. Alby1976

Alby1976 Member

You would think a USB cable dangling from it might give it away.

2. fredhoon

fredhoon Member

Any recommendations for Arcades in the Osaka area that have a good selection of light gun games? In previous trips to Japan I've always been disappointed with the ratio of Pachinko to Arcade or UFO Catcher + Photo Booth to Arcade Games in the Sega and Namco arcades I've stumbled across.

The 100Y arcades have a decent ratio of retro games but are usually light on the light gun front.

I should have posted this question last week, I'm heading to the Yamazaki Distillery tomorrow and wanted to hit a few arcades following a tasting session, a bit of retro shopping and before the last series of trails close for the night.

3. mR_CaESaR

mR_CaESaR Member

I'm expecting a phone call/email very soon from customs regarding my "NAMED" arcade gun..

edit: it's now 15:26 and I haven't received a phone call/email and the status hasn't changed. I don't think I'll be getting this before "Scheduled delivery:Thursday 6/21/2018 by 5:00 pm" :(

Last edited: Jun 21, 2018
  4. WuZMoT

WuZMoT Member

you must have paid for express freight, my Gcon2's cleared customs 1 week ago and still haven't arrived.

5. mR_CaESaR

mR_CaESaR Member

Yeah I did.

It was 40 for no tracking and no insurance or 55 for FedEx express with tracking and insurance. I figured I might as well..

WuZMoT likes this.
  6. fredhoon

fredhoon Member

To answer my own question, there's not much in the Osaka Umeda area. The royal Game Centre didn't have any lightgun games as expected (all retro cabs). Namco had three - The Walking Dead (sit down mounted crossbow), another Zombie shooter (sit down uzi's) and a clay pigeon shooter with a shotgun (I'd rather do it for real).

Tatio only had one but it was awesome! [Edit - Gunslinger Stratos 3] Dual pistols that you can wield independently or lock together (side or top) for different attack levels. Both pistols had an analogue thumb stick and the right had a jump button. There were about 10x units for linked play, I'm definitely going to give it another bash tomorrow!

IMG_20180622_151558.jpg

Den Den Town's arcades will be explored tomorrow in search for more light gun action. I didn't make it today as I spent too much time exploring the hills behind the Yamazaki Distillery.

[Edit]
    Round 1 Sannomiya (Kobe) has a few light gun cabimets, all 100Y. Two and a half floors, lots of game cabinets covering all the disciplines (no retro or multi cabs unfortunately).
    - Time Crisis 5 with L & R pedals
    - Silent Scope 3 (which has a cool wind blowing in your face thing, gun height is far too low and zoom adjust is akeward)
    - A heap of Gunslinger Stratos 3
    - Luigi's haunted mansion (not really worth mentioning)

Last edited: Jun 22, 2018
  7. mR_CaESaR

mR_CaESaR Member

Noooooo :(

upload_2018-6-22_17-13-29.png

8. fredhoon

fredhoon Member

I went to about a dozen different stores today in Osaka (Namba / Nipponbashi area) and only saw three light guns - MegaDrive gun for 500Y, Guncon1 for 500Y & Guncon2 for 1,000Y.

I was really hoping to see the old Super Nintendo bazooka that I vaguely recall from my youth but was sadly disappointed. No doubt it would have been stupidly priced like most of the other Famicom gear.

elvis likes this.
  9. WuZMoT

WuZMoT Member

fredhoon and elvis like this.
  10. mR_CaESaR

mR_CaESaR Member

Sweet!!!

I also need RCA splitters once I get a second gun.

What games will you be playing with the gcon2?

11. WuZMoT

WuZMoT Member

virtua cop 2 (elite edition)
    time crisis 2/3
    vampire night
    ninja assault

elvis and fredhoon like this.
  12. mR_CaESaR

mR_CaESaR Member

Nice. I'm pretty much the same with the addition of Crisis Zone and the Gunvari Collection (Time Crisis 1, Point Blank 1, 2 and 3)

Still waiting for my Namco gun.... lol hasn't changed status at Fed Ex since last Friday

13. WuZMoT

WuZMoT Member

using OPL (HD loader) on a fat PS2, gunvari collection wouldn't work properly :(

14. WuZMoT

WuZMoT Member

Just had a session with a mate from work.

Vampire Night is pretty cool. cheesy voice acting aside it's challenging and the whole zany vampire theme is well away from the time crisis/virtua cop type games.

15. mR_CaESaR

mR_CaESaR Member

Yes, it's resident evil 1 cheesy, but it's a Namco zombie game so it's just all about shooting :) :)

This is how a mate of mine plays vampire night!

Once customs clears my Namco gun, I too hope to play like this (I'm almost finished my second gun driver for rapid fire/single fire)

elvis, WuZMoT and fredhoon like this.
  16. WuZMoT

WuZMoT Member

is that guy using rapid fire and sounds like a pedal for reload? he makes it look easy.

we were just playing with stock guns and using the button on the bottom of the handle for reload.

we also tried time crisis 2 but its pretty crappy 2 player as it goes split screen.

virtua cop 2 was great but vampire night was the standout.

17. mR_CaESaR

mR_CaESaR Member

100% rapid fire and pedal :)

I've got a very very similar setup (well it should be since I used his schematic :D)

https://forums.overclockers.com.au/threads/any-light-gun-fans-out-there.952865/page-3#post-17902724

Me using it for crisis zone

https://forums.overclockers.com.au/threads/any-light-gun-fans-out-there.952865/page-3#post-17902769

2 player time crisis is only good if you have link play, not via split screen.

fredhoon likes this.
  18. mR_CaESaR

mR_CaESaR Member

Through I'd give an update for those wanting to import arcade light guns in NSW.. import without a license at your own risk!

Mine has just been seized and they've denied my request to claim it back :(

I just got a call from customs stating all my points were valid and they understand (ie. pink in colour, no projectiles being shot from the unit, cable cords coming out), but the controls are there and in place so people can't mistake the unit as a real firearm - irrespective of the colour.

The only thing I can do is fight it in court and apply for a firearms license for the next time I want to import a unit like this..

19. WuZMoT

WuZMoT Member

sucks dude, i wonder how arcades bring stuff into the country - maybe you could hit up an arcade owner to import parts for you and make it worth their while...

20. fredhoon

fredhoon Member

Do you actually need a firearms licence or just the licence/permit to import "imitation firearms"? I suppose it varies state by state depending on their firearms act. Also was the initial assessment undertaken by Customs and then referred to NSW Police or was the decision solely at the discretion of Customs?

from https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/busi/impo/proh/firearms-and-weapons/imitation-firearms

Last edited: Jul 3, 2018