Any Micro Four Thirds fans?

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by Shotkit, Feb 4, 2018.

1. Shotkit

Shotkit New Member

I've spent the last couple of months researching micro four thirds lenses. I have a friend at Olympus who was kind enough to give me the run of the whole lens arsenal (plus many Panasonic and 3rd party ones), so I've been able to play with some fantastic lenses.

Last week I published this post on what I consider to be the 'best' MFT lenses (contains aff links). Obviously 'best' is rather subjective, but I took it to mean 'best bang for the buck', or those lenses that represent great value for money.

I wanted to know how active the MFT community is - it seems that there aren't nearly as many photogs using the format as when I was shooting a lot with an Olympus OM-D EM52 3 years ago. Is it a dying format (for stills photographers)?

2. HANKFISTA

HANKFISTA Member

OMD-EM5 Black elite with Panasonic 20 mm f 1.7 pancake lens here
    love having a very compact set up, i'm not a photographer though

Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
    Shotkit likes this.
  3. Havabigjuan

Havabigjuan Member

I'm no photographer but love my e-m10 ( and e-p3) and various lenses...Oly 45mm was a bargain, the 40-150 is an underrated lense too

Shotkit likes this.
  4. herzeg

herzeg Iron Photographer

Ken oath; went the FF<>M43 merry-go-round a couple of times and still torn between my Nikon FF and Oly kits; use the former for portraits/people shots and the latter for everything else.

Havabigjuan; I got the 40-150mm 2.8 (with TC) on sale recently - it is fucking unbelievable. Def my favourite lens. Also love the 12-40mm, but the lack of finesse (vs the 40-150mm) irks me a little, especially the crackly zoom...

My only "issue" with M43 is skin tones/rendering; too sharp/plasticky or sorts, especially with OCF.

Great write-up, Shotkit; that Rokinon 12mm looks like a cracker.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
    Shotkit likes this.
  5. Havabigjuan

Havabigjuan Member

I can imagine it would be a ripper

6. OP
    OP
    Shotkit

Shotkit New Member

Thanks! Yeah it's a bit heavy but great value for money if you don't mind the manual focusing.

7. Pbx_Jnr

Pbx_Jnr Member

It's definitely not a dying format. I'm in a group on facebook only for m43 shooters and there are quite a few! I think it hasn't grown as much possibly because of the Sony A7/9 range. Even though it isn't as compact as m43, it still is quite compact for full frame. I know one of the Canon shooters on OCAU has bought an Olympus kit with the Oly 300mm f4 to try out for birding :)

I have an E-M10 that I'll use when I'm not allowed to carry anything else through, especially at music festivals. The kit 40-150mm is really quite decent and being able to hand hold something at an effective 300mm focal length in one hand with IBIS is kinda ridiculous!

8. Zzapped

Zzapped Member

E-M1 MKii user here..cant talk it up highly enough :)

9. Andres

Andres Motor Admin

Big fan. It's 'close-enough' to DSLR, while still being a size you can sit on the table at a cafe / take multiple lenses without a massive bag / borderline pocketable with a pancake lens / not attract quite as much attention travelling abroad.

Really hoping for a OME-EM5 Mkiii in the neat future. Still rolling the Mki which has taken some great shots, in a number of countries, in varying weather conditions. It's a TAD noisey (image noise), but in all honesty, take a very pleasant photo still .

10. miguelala

miguelala Member

Olympus E-P5 & E-M1 Mkii with the 3 x Pro Zooms and a few primes.
    I came from phones & compact cameras and eventually moved up the the E-M1 Mkii.
    This is more than enough camera for my (lack of) skills.

On another note, whats a flappy mirror for? :p

11. RnR

RnR Member

Very active format - www.mu-43.com - for a busy forum dedicated to just this format.

12. SyN

SyN Member

Still think it comes to economy for me
    Particularly with nikon, theres lots of cheap fast glass. for example, i just bought a second hand extremely sharp minty sigma f2.8 70mm macro for aud300. In m43 world it would be equivalent to a 35mm f1.4 to get the same effect with a cost of around double. Or with the nifty 50s, nikon 50mm 1.4G goes for a similar price as the olympus 25mm f/1.8, but has bokeh blurs worlds ahead. Not to mention the Nikon 50 1.8D which only costs $150...
    Size wise, I believe a entry level canikon is about $500 and will not be much larger than m43 apart from the longer flange distance, and then you have a 50% larger sensor area

Claudio Dionigi likes this.
  13. Andres

Andres Motor Admin

Are you comparing new and second hand lens prices?
    Also, size is pretty substantially different.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Similar field of view, same aperture (yes, will get more b0k3h!!1! with the APS-C sensor).

Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
  14. SyN

SyN Member

dslr have the advantage for both new and second hand for lenses

Good image, where do you get that from?

A panasonic GM5 for example is a minuscule 60H x 98W, but a larger say panasonic GH series is actually higher and wider than a nikon D3400..
    Depthwise DSLRs lose out by about an inch, but may be less of a factor than the lens you have attached
    Size wise, even though the whole package for m43 is smaller, it still wont fit inside a pocket so you still need a camera bag or backpack. So the hassle is still there but you only get half to quarter of the DSLR ISO/bokeh benefits. In good light normal field of view shots modern phone cameras can already do a satisfactory job

Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
  15. m3k

m3k Member

love my gh4 its a boss. take some of my best photos with it- the only downside is having to speedboost it. $$$

16. Zee

Zee Member

I’m still using tyhe EM-1 I bought 3 or 4 years ago. I dearly love the 75 F1.8, and have the Oly ro fisheye, 12-40, 40-150 (+TC), the 60mm macro, and an old Oly 50mm F1.4 (I think) manual lens fot lulz.

I travel a lot, so the size/weight made a difference, and having come from a 7D, thedifference in format size was negligible for me. the EM-1 did punch out better pics, and did not have the focus issues and soft image issues that wer epissing me off with the 7D. It just seemed to me like Canon decided to go the video route (A stronger AA filter for a higher megapixel camera? Please...).

The only issue I see is that the hardware is seeming to get more and more expensive, the EM-1 MKII was a huge price hike over the MK1, and there is no way I’ll be trading up (until my MK1 dies, those new F1.2 lenses look sweet, but damn... That’s Red Ring money right there...

Z...

17. BigTriangle

BigTriangle Member

EM1 MK2 here, nice fast focusing, lenses very sharp. Deep buffer on the body. Fast focusing, continuous low with auto focus and pro mode are great.