Any OCAU'ers live(d) in USA?

Discussion in 'Holidays & Travel' started by eightyeight, May 31, 2014.

1. eightyeight

eightyeight (Banned or Deleted)

Considering moving there in a couple of months. I've never lived there but i've visited LA, atlanta, alabama, minneapolis and seattle. My experience(s) of americans were largely the complete opposite of the stereotypes. L.A i found a little hit & miss though, kinda depended on where you were.

I still haven't visited vegas, socal, texas or the entire east coast.

Any input/advice anyone has at all i'll happily soak up like a sponge :)

2. Diode

Diode Member

So have you investigated how you're going to apply for a working/study visa? I would start with that before you get too excited. I have not lived in the US, but approval of visa applications are not as easy as going to the UK.

3. Sankari

Sankari Member

I've visited Texas, Illinois and Wisconsin. In general I found Americans to be warm, friendly, and generous—but frighteningly ignorant about the world beyond their borders.

Texan hospitality is the best. Nobody beats the Texans.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. CM96

CM96 Member

I've heard good things about texas too, however it'll likely turn into California in 10-20 years so don't get too attached.

5. OP
    OP
    eightyeight

not sure what you mean by this?

yes :p

6. CM96

CM96 Member

7. Kommandant33

Kommandant33 Member

8. Diode

Diode Member

OK then so what's the plan? What state/city do you want to live in?

9. OP
    OP
    eightyeight

long or short term? short term i just want to see the place, maybe spend 6 months in one city, 6 months in another etc etc. i can start at vegas and going from there. long term i'm not sure. but i'm going going to change cities every 6 months for the rest of my life either. just looking for others input reference what they know etc.

i'd be going in under the E-3 scheme.

Last edited: May 31, 2014
  10. Sankari

Sankari Member

Californians might might a gloss on a few Texan suburbs, but they'll never change the heartlands.

You won't find SoCal hipsters in Comanche County.

11. OP
    OP
    eightyeight

admin moved this to holidays & travel section. sorry guys, didn't even think of that :)

12. Falkor

Falkor Member

Lived in New York for 3 years, transferred there through work and got an L1.

To be honest, you're going to need a more solid plan than that to go to the US in my experience. Its not easy to find a job there right now, let alone in random places and remember they have a pitiful minimum wage and no universal healthcare so if you just get a shitkicker job they will pay you $5 an hour and you'll have 0 health insurance so if you break your leg you are up for a 30k hospital bill.

Do you have any work lined up already? Its also tough to find a US company that is willing to sponsor you for the E3, most of them just file it under the 'too hard' basket and prefer to hire US Citizens given that their economy is still struggling(On the rise though) and there are LOADS of people unemployed. Especially at the lower end of the skill level.

Also with the E3 is there wage requirements? I know you need to have a bachelors degree and get a job in the field, so factor that in. I am not 100% if you have to get paid a minimum amount as well which might make going place to place tough.

13. Zee

Zee Member

As above. I don't live there, but spend about 3 months a year in the US. Mainly Vegas and San Francisco, but also a fair bit of time in New York, Florida and Michigan.

I hope you have a very valuable set of skills, and are extremely competent in using them. The US is all sorts of screwed up, and apart from not having much in terms of health care, you're going to find workers have very few rights. You can be sacked on the spot with no compensation.

Also, 2 weeks off a year. I'd say it's worth going for a year or two as a working holiday, but I'd skip it long term unless I had a serious wad of cash under my mattress.

Z...

14. Diode

Diode Member

As per Falkors comments getting the E3 is easier said than done. I've looked into it a bit and you can understand why no one goes to the US unless they really have to. You usually go for employment in a specilised job or your in the media/film industry. You certainly don't want to be stuck there busting your ass on minimum wage. Once people realise this they change their plan to go work in a pub in London. :tongue:

15. Falkor

Falkor Member

The other thing as well is its not cheap to travel within the US, Unlike Europe where you can get flights for $100 from London to Mainland Europe in the US I lived in NYC and a 1.5 hr flight to Buffalo cost $250, flight to Miami was like $300 etc.

Its not the kind of country you can live in and just jet around and travel etc, London is much more conducive to a working holiday than the US is.

Also in some states minimum wage is allowed to include tips, so working in bars/restaurants they will actually pay you like $2 an hour and then you get the tips as well to make up the extra $4 an hour or so.

16. redslert

redslert Member

It's called gas.