1. Two recommended ways to protect your account on OCAU:
    Dismiss Notice

Any projects or out of the box uses for small UPS?

Discussion in 'Electronics & Electrics' started by ipv6ready, Jun 3, 2021.

1. ipv6ready

ipv6ready Member

I tried using the search function, without any results.

I just upgraded my main UPS and now have two low end UPS, specifically old but well taken care of Cyberpower BRICs LCD Series 700va and APC Back-UPS CS 350va.

Both have dead 12v SLA batteries and replacement will be $30 a pop.

Do I get rid of them or is their some out of the box uses for them.... I don't mind learning about electronics, since working from home means, I have more time to keep my mind busy.

I did think about using it as NBN ups but was told it is unlikely a normal UPS will work without some tinkering, as the draw from a wifi router is too small and will auto-cut off.

Your thoughts would be appreciated, considering I need to buy new battery but if there are no real "thing" to do/try with them, I might sell it without battery

2. MrSquiggle

MrSquiggle Member

I question that. Of the numerous UPS I've used over the years I'm yet to find one that cared about minimum load. Not saying this is a universal truth but on what strength was the assertion made?

3. OP
    OP
    ipv6ready

ipv6ready Member

Was just few YT vids, it was mostly indian, but it is likely they know about these kinds of DIY more as parts of India have less reliable power.

Its a catch 22 situation lol. I need to buy a new sla to test but if it doesnt work it is a waste

4. spludgey

spludgey Member

I wouldn't spend money on SLA, just upgrade to LiFePO4 if you're going to resurrect them.
    Not much more expensive, but will perform a lot better and have much less of a Pukert effect.

5. MrSquiggle

MrSquiggle Member

You could try holding the UPS battery leads across a car battery to quickly prove the point one way or the other.

ipv6ready and alch like this.
  6. mjunek

mjunek Member

Well if you are looking to get rid of either of them, I'd use one as a backup for my NBN service. Currently have UPS's everywhere except where the NTD is mounted. And I work at North Sydney. :)

For a few bob of replacing the battery, they are pretty useful for small tasks like this.

7. Recharge

Recharge Member

not worth it for NBN backup, far FAR too much waste pumping volts up and then back down.
    you'd be far better off building DIY UPS for 12v to run the NBN router from the battery and charge that with a charger.
    and get a crazy longer run time to boot.

or buy one for $15
    https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/353382001270?hash=item5247356a76:g:WdwAAOSwLQtgIiCe

there's a ton of similar ones from different vendors.

unless the UPS came with a lipo, you'll need a BMS or the UPS will just cook the lithium battery with too much juice. UPSs aren't know for their great charging profiles after all.

ipv6ready likes this.
  8. OP
    OP
    ipv6ready

ipv6ready Member

I sent an email blast to few mates, was surprised that few had chargers and one had both charger and a spare working SLA. So borrowing both over the weekend to test out the UPS to make sure they work and if the auto shutdown is true for both.

I might try this mod below. Further reasearch using a standard UPS the loss from DC to AC conversion (inside the UPS) than AC to DC via router power brick is a big waste of energy.

Below mod takes away the DC to AC conversion and powers the router via straight DC

Or might consider buying a more expensive $45 12v 2A 44.4WH BATTERY BACKUP from the same seller. This one uses (likely very cheap chinese) 18650 cells.

In the future I can buy 6x samsung or panasonic 18650 cells and retrofit it in.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2021
  9. alch

alch Member

Garage door opener during power outage?

Zenskas, mAJORD and ipv6ready like this.
  10. merlin13

merlin13 Member

Power backup for the TV?

Power backup for a monitor?

Power backup for any emergency lighting in the house?

Power backup fro your smoke alarms?

Power backup for your lighting under the pergola/house?

Power backup for your USB power bank? :p

Power backup for your house alarm/video monitoring system?...

Idafe007 and ipv6ready like this.
  11. Zenskas

Zenskas Member

But isn't it only a bit of waste of power in the (hopefully) short periods of downtime? Whats the problem with that for the cheap price of a new battery every few years? Most cheap UPS's are not actively converting from AC to DC back to AC when running off mains. They are simply passing power through from mains to the connected devices and will cut in and start converting from DC to AC should the mains go down. Just how much power can possible be getting wasted on low draw devices in outages, unless the OP is having weekly outages I'd say it's negligible!

In saying all that, modding the UPS to give devices direct DC is a pretty neat idea, however doesn't seem this will allow the UPS to pass power through to the device direct from mains so it only seems to help efficiency when running on battery and probably won't be more efficient that using the included AC to DC adaptors as normal when not.

I'm running a basic dumb Upsonic Power UPS to hold up some low powered networking equipment. Current 3 devices; FTTH NBN NTD, Asus RT-AC86U running as a WAP, and a Eufy Home Base (for monitoring wifi cameras).
    I've had several simulated power outages recently when I flipped house power off to do some work in the ceiling and floor crawl spaces, never had any issues with not enough draw turning the UPS off either. Although this UPS is so dumb it'll stay on with nothing plugged in at all.

Me thinks go for it, anything you can think of that you want held up in an outage plug her in as merlin13 is suggesting. A lamp or something is good, could come in handy if there is a night-time outage.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2021
  12. kjparker

kjparker Member

Also probably worth considering, these are likely to be MSW units, which some devices do not like running from....

13. paulvk

paulvk Member

The UPS units I have opened up so far have very little DC ability , able to only do about 1 to 2 amps just enough to charge the battery drawing more would simply drain the battery.